Greatest Animated TV Series EVER! (Voting)

Started by LumRanmaYasha, October 12, 2013, 02:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I know it hasn't been 24 hours, but I think everyone who was going to vote has voted by now, so I'd say we can move on.

Results:

Spongebob Squarepants - 20
Johnny Bravo - 24
Rocko's Modern Life - 31
Hey Arnold! - 15

Rocko's Modern Life and Johnny Bravo move on to round 2.

Round 1, The 100 Toon Kumite: Match 5

Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force

VS.

Black Dynamite

VS.

The Venture Bros.

VS.

Samurai 7

My Picks:

The Venture Bros. - A hilarious blend of satire on super-heroes, nerdy things, and character development and ongoing storylines. Easily the second best current [adult swim] show after The Boondocks.

Black Dynamite - So over the top and ridiculous it turns around and becomes absolutely hilarious. The Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley episodes are especially brilliant, and if you don't love this series takes on 70's pop-culture and blaxploitation series and films, you have no soul. The original movie is currently still my favorite movie ever, and this series definitely didn't disappoint in making me laugh as well. Also, I absolutely love the look of the show. It's gorgeous and expressive, even if the animation isn't always fluid, and it's definitely the best looking cartoon on the air today. Just an awesome show, through and through.

Samurai 7 - I thought this show was well-crafted and paced, even if there were a few dull moments in the beginning and a couple of animation flubs. Overall I was glad Toonami aired it so I could give it a chance, because it's a pretty good anime at the end of the day overall.

Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force - Since E-K didn't suggest an episode for this show (in fact, only ShadowGentlemen suggested episodes for the shows he nominated...), I just watched the first episode of it. I thought it was pretty good for the first episode of this kind of show, although if I ever watch more of the show I'll go subbed since the dub sounds pretty lackluster from the first episode. But obviously, I've watched all of the other three series already in full, and I didn't get enough out of the first episode to make me like it more than any other show in this match, so I have to put it last by default.

Foggle

Oh, for Panty & Stocking, please use episode 6. Thanks~

Venture
Dynamite
Zoids
Samurai

LumRanmaYasha

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 15, 2013, 09:33:57 PM
I was planning to!  ;D
Even people who hate the show can't possibly dislike that episode. It's so fucking good. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The dub for Zoids isn't great, but it improves as it goes along, IMO. If you want to know what a real lackluster dub sounds like, then that's where Zoids Fuzors comes in.

Anyways, for me, it's:

Zoids
Venture
Samurai
Dynamite

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 15, 2013, 11:44:30 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 14, 2013, 09:47:28 PM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 14, 2013, 03:49:07 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 14, 2013, 02:51:15 PM
Whats Heroman?
An anime about Peter Parker getting a giant robot. Made by Stan Lee.
What? Really?
Well, not literally, but that's the best way I've heard to summarize it. It's a collaboration between Stan Lee and Bones.

I know, it just sounds awesome.

CX, do you mean the '70s Black Dynamite movie or the MJW remake?

Zoids - Better all of those shitty Gundam series.
Dynamite
Samurai
Venture
Quote from: Foggle on October 15, 2013, 09:35:32 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on October 15, 2013, 09:33:57 PM
I was planning to!  ;D
Even people who hate the show can't possibly dislike that episode. It's so fucking good. :joy:
....just noticed he was linking to episodes...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 15, 2013, 10:32:06 PM

CX, do you mean the '70s Black Dynamite movie or the MJW remake?

The 2009 film written by Michael Jai White.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 15, 2013, 10:32:06 PM....just noticed he was linking to episodes...

Yep. The point of them is for people who haven't seen/watched 2 or more shows in a match to watch the episodes and judge them fairly based on first impressions of those series at some of their best. From what I can tell, nobody seems to be doing this, yet. However, I can guarantee that there will be a match-up or few later this round that should require some people to watch those sample eps if they want to make a constructive vote... :humhumhum:

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

I didn't know he wrote it. "I threw that shit before I came into the room!"
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Venture Bros: My favorite animated comedy series.
Zoids
Black Dynamite
Samurai 7

Hulu won't let me watch their stuff.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Pharass on October 16, 2013, 11:38:42 AM

Hulu won't let me watch their stuff.

May I ask why? In any case, I'm glad someone has at least tried to watch the sample episodes of the shows they aren't familiar with, at the very least.  :)

LumRanmaYasha

Alright, I think we can move on.

Results:

Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force - 16
Black Dynamite - 18
The Venture Bros. - 24
Samurai 7 - 12

Brock Samson and Black Dynamite both continue to kick some ass in round 2:

Round 1, The 100 Toon Kumite: Match 6

Superman: The Animated Series

VS.

Pinky and the Brain

VS.

The Slayers NEXT

VS.

Legion of Superheroes

My Picks:

The Slayers NEXT - Typically considered the best of the Slayers franchise, and it'd be hard to disagree. It's a perfect season combining everything that makes The Slayers the fun action-adventure series that it is, with a perfect blend of serious and hilarious episodes that never overwhelm each other and the overall tone of the show. While I love the original series a little more because of personal reasons, NEXT is an excellent entry of the series, and is probably even better than the first series overall.

Superman: The Animated Series - Not as strong as Batman or Justice League, but featured several great episodes and had the most consistent run of any of the DCAU shows. It's the only animated incarnation of Superman that does the character justice, and that alone makes me appreciate and love the series, but it's got several strong episodes under it's belt, such as pretty much all the Darkseid storylines, and that makes it all the better. Just another great entry in the DCAU.

Pinky and the Brain - I have a feeling that, unlike Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures, I'd still like this series if I gave it a proper re-watch. It's been a while since I've seen the show, the suggested episode I've put for it aside, but even so I doubt I'd like it more than The Slayers NEXT and Superman. From what I can recall, and from the episode I just watched, it's more likeable and enjoyable to me than the average (not the above average, mind you) Animaniacs and Tiny Toon's are for me, so that gives me some hope that I'd still like it if I rewatched it, at least.

Legion of Superheroes - This show is still alright from the episode I just rewatched, but I never really was all that into it. It's definitely not a bad show, but as far as DC superhero cartoons went, I never really could get all that into it. However, I do think it's worthwhile to watch this show if you haven't seen it before, since it's a pretty good show at the end of the day, even if it never was anything spectacular.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken