Final Fantasy

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 02, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I honestly can't remember the last time Final Fantasy was a triple-A title.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Except for automatic game overs when the party leader dies, I don't find FF XIII that bad. I like the overall story of it. XIII 2 though, I haven't anything good about its ending, so I'm not interested much in it. Hopefully the third one won't be screwy.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on March 21, 2013, 11:47:56 PM
It still is, really. Have you seen the graphics in FF XIII? A lot of people were surprised that the PS3 could even render that shit.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 22, 2013, 01:19:32 AM
Except for automatic game overs when the party leader dies, I don't find FF XIII that bad. I like the overall story of it. XIII 2 though, I haven't anything good about its ending, so I'm not interested much in it. Hopefully the third one won't be screwy.
I agree that XIII's story is decent, I just found the characters (outside of Sazh and Lightning) insufferable, and the presentation of it all to be bafflingly convoluted. XIII-2's story has almost no redeeming qualities from what I've seen, though.

I hate the party leader death mechanic too. It shows up in a lot of games that I actually like, and often causes loads of frustration.

gunswordfist

She's probably wearing two different shoes as well, one being a hooker boot, and the other a croc.
:D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on March 22, 2013, 08:53:05 AM
It still is, really. Have you seen the graphics in FF XIII? A lot of people were surprised that the PS3 could even render that shit.
It may be popular, but it hasn't felt relevant in a looooong time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2013, 11:39:19 AM
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that they're still technically AAA games from a budget and polish standpoint.

gunswordfist

I still wish I could get excited for FF XIV but the COD vs mages trailer left a bad taste in my mouth

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2013, 11:39:19 AM
The last time it was relevant? The PS3's launch when it was still listed as an exclusive.

Basically before they actually played Final Fantasy XIII.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually liked Final Fantasy IX's story, even though I didn't actually bother finishing the game. It'd be cool if they got whoever wrote the story for that game to do another FF game.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 22, 2013, 03:31:21 PM
I actually liked Final Fantasy IX's story, even though I actually didn't bother finishing the game. It'd be cool if they got whoever wrote the story for that game to do another FF game.
It was the same guy behind Final Fantasy VI.

In other words, the guy who should be given more to do.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

IX definitely had the best story out of any FF I've played.

GaryPotter

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 22, 2013, 11:02:39 PM
IX definitely had the best story out of any FF I've played.

Yeah, until the third disc when the game forgets what's it's doing.

I love IX dearly, but it has a lousy ending that I couldn't stand even when I was 16.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oddly enough, I only ever played up to the 3rd disk of the game. After that, I stopped playing, though it wasn't because of the story, but more-so because the part of me that hates grinding reminded me of why I'm not a fan of RPGs to begin with, and then I quickly lost interest in the game. I did look up the rest of the story, though, and it still seemed interesting to me, but maybe it'd be worse in actual execution had I played through the rest of the game normally. Either way, though, its probably the element that kept me interested in playing the game as long as I did. With FF 7 and 8, I honestly couldn't make it past the first disc in either game because I couldn't get into their stories, and I'm just not a fan of the gameplay in RPGs, so I found it pretty hard to sustain my interest in playing them.

Grave

I'm not really into Final Fantasy like I used to be, but I'd still play it if it interests me. Outside of Mass Effect I am tired of RPGs in general though.

When it comes to RPGs and Final Fantasy I was very late to the party. I didn't play my 1st Final Fantasy until 2004-ish, and that was Final Fantasy 8. I have a soft spot for FF8 mainly because it was the 1st one to break me in. Originally I was just trying it out because I just wanted to see the limit breaks, and then that turned into me sticking with it because of the summons, which ultimately turned into me seeing myself a lot like Squall back then (Long story, was going through some stuff back then) so I stuck around for the entire ride. FF8 was also the only game that I traded in and bought back more than 4 times. I got hooked onto the junction system (oh how I heard the mixed opinions about that system and the Draw feature). Once I got used to that system it turned into the easiest and funnest FF game that I've played (out of the bunch that I've played)

From FF8 I went onto FF10. No doubt, it was a gorgeous looking game, but I was not expecting it to be that much of a dump. I'd say outside of Auron and Lulu, I hated the characters, but even then I didn't make it through to see all the characters in the game. Not to mention Blitzball is the worst mini-game I have ever played. Anything blitzball related I can't stand. "ARGH" Hate this game.

From there I went to FF7. Coming off of FF8 and 10, graphically speaking, it was hard to accept FF7. I understand it was suppose to be ground breaking, but I hated the blocky/chibi look. I still hate it, but eventually I got to a point where I'd put my love for graphics aside to see what made this game so great, and even then I still wouldn't call this game great, but it is good. Like I said though, I started with FF8 and I just got so accustomed to the junction system whereas here in FF7 materia made it seem like you're playing the same character. At least in FF8 all you really have to do attack only. Character wise, the cast of FF7 blows FF8 out the water. I only like Squall and Quistis (I think that's her name), and Rinoa grew onto me. I found her so annoying when I 1st played the game. In FF7, outside of Barret and Cait Sith, I like everyone else.

Coming off of those to go all the way back to FF4 and what do you know, character speaking FF4 is a beast. I plan to finish FF4 eventually, but I really like the cast of FF4. Cecil and KAIN (I just like yelling that name. Blame Trinity Blood) are too good.

I haven't played FF6, but I heard those characters trumps the characters in FF4, and perhaps I'll get a chance to play it one day.

FFXV might be the one game that actually brings me back to JRPGs (RPGs in general).

GaryPotter