Godzilla

Started by Daikun, December 10, 2013, 04:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Here's a thread to talk about the King of the Monsters and all his sequels and incarnations!

It's been four years since Legendary Pictures discussed their upcoming reboot of the franchise--an American Godzilla that would hopefully undo all the mistakes that Emmerich made. After hearing about casting choices and seeing very few teaser images, very little has been discussed about it.

Well, finally FINALLY, the trailer has been released today! Check it out!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally, I don't think anything will manage to top the 1954 original for me. That movie was honestly as great a drama as it was a monster movie, and at the end of the day it was more about the human characters than it was about Godzilla. Having said that, I'll give Gareth Edwards the benefit of the doubt here, because I actually happened to like Monsters, but obviously Godzilla will be a very different type of movie than that. Going by the trailer, I can't say much, but I'll give them credit for 2 things so far: They got both the scale and the roar right. It may not be saying much, but those are 2 things that the 1998 movie royally fucked up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The 2nd trailer has been out for the past few days, and now I'm sold. That trailer looks awesome, and it seems like it will have some level of continuity with the original film, since they mentioned that Godzilla had previously attacked Tokyo in 1954 (the year that the original film came out), and they showed a scene from where scientists were looking at the skeletal remains of a previous Godzilla (which may have been the original one since its skin was devolved by the oxygen destroyer).

Either way, this is easily one of my top 3 most anticipated films of the Summer.

gunswordfist

I still want to know which Godzilla movies I should watch.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 01, 2014, 01:42:39 AM
The 2nd trailer has been out for the past few days, and now I'm sold. That trailer looks awesome, and it seems like it will have some level of continuity with the original film, since they mentioned that Godzilla had previously attacked Tokyo in 1954 (the year that the original film came out), and they showed a scene from where scientists were looking at the skeletal remains of a previous Godzilla (which may have been the original one since its skin was devolved by the oxygen destroyer).

Either way, this is easily one of my top 3 most anticipated films of the Summer.

That's great to hear. I'm going to have to see this trailer. Let's hope the incident that was 1998 Godzilla is merely a thing of the past.

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 01, 2014, 03:03:41 AM
I still want to know which Godzilla movies I should watch.

I've only seen the original, and it's very good. But I also heard the 1985 Godzilla is also good and, in terms of style, the closest to the original.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Godzilla (1954) *Japanese Version
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla: Final Wars

The rest can probably be skipped, though I haven't seen most of them, myself.

gunswordfist

Thanks. 360 Netflix, here I come!

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

Thanks Avaitor and Insomniac. :thumbup: I might start on this today.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The early reviews for this film seem to be pretty decent. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't suck. But, at least it can't be nearly as bad as the 1998 film.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw the movie. I'll just say that I liked it, but it was also a very frustrating experience since you get teased so damn much until the glorious ending fight which is fucking awesome. I'd say the human drama was good enough to keep me invested in the film for the first hour, but the next half hour after that felt like such a drag to me until we finally get to see Godzilla and the MUTOs beat the shit out of each other. I fucking loved that part of the movie, but there needed to be more of it, and a lot of times it's only implied that action happens and then the film cuts away to the human characters, which begins to grow tiring once the pattern repeats for long enough. The movie is really a mixed bag in that regard. If you were expecting lots of action like Pacific Rim or something, you'll be disappointed. If you were expecting for drama which is as good as the first film (at least IMO), it's not quite that good, but like I said, it's well-done enough to carry the film forward for at least the first half, much like a classic Kaiju film. The ending may or may not make it worth the wait for you, but I'm definitely glad that I saw it.

GregX

My review for that movie Warner Bros' marketing department called "Godzilla". SPOILERS!

http://gregxb.blogspot.com/2014/05/godzilla-2014.html

Lord Il

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 13, 2014, 04:32:49 PMBut, at least it can't be nearly as bad as the 1998 film.
There's no way it could ever be as bad as that. lol! My biggest gripe of the '98 film was the nearly absent character development. From what I've heard, seems as though that issue was tackled in this latest film - perhaps even too much so?  :o