Clarence

Started by Daikun, February 18, 2014, 08:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Clarence is a new series coming to Cartoon Network in April, and the pilot is now available for viewing on the website.

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/clarence/video/clarence-pilot-episode.html

This series was created by Skyler Page, a former storyboard artist for Adventure Time (you might notice some artistic similarities). The series is about a weird kid named Clarence and his awkward friends. Clarence has just transferred to a new elementary school, and on his first day, he invited all his classmates to a sleepover house party, but his first appearance isn't exactly favorable, so only two kids actually join him. They get into wacky hijinks from there.

Daxdiv

Series premiered today. I liked what I saw. It's a show that can be described as seeing things through the eyes and the heart of a child. It doesn't feel as dudebro as the other shows on right now, it actually does feel like something that fits CN proper.

RacattackForce

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 14, 2014, 08:53:25 PM
Series premiered today. I liked what I saw. It's a show that can be described as seeing things through the eyes and the heart of a child. It doesn't feel as dudebro as the other shows on right now, it actually does feel like something that fits CN proper.
Yeah. As much as I love a good chunk of Cartoon Network's current offerings, it's nice to have a more lighthearted show like Clarence on the channel. Between all the supernatural/sci-fi shows like the Adventure Time and Ben 10: Omniverse, it is nice to see a cute little show where the only goal is to reflect the joys of childhood in a realistic fashion. That said, I feel that the second episode Pretty Great Day with a Girl was better at showcasing this atmosphere than Fun Dungeon Face Off.

Fun Dungeon has its moments, such as where Jeff said that if Clarence was going to "die", he'd die with him. But it has bits such as the opening commercial and the ending music montage, where it seems like Skylar Page and crew are trying to hard to gain a laugh. Pretty Great Day felt more natural with nothing really over-the-top. Just some kids fooling around, going on an adventure and just having fun with the other kids in the neighbourhood. It truly matched the atmosphere of the average day in a kid's afternoon, and the casual way that they handled the topic of divorce was just as good.

Overall, I'll be keeping tabs on Clarence. Cartoon Network Studios might have another hit on their hands here.

Nel_Annette

Credit where it's due. I watched two episodes of the show, and it was nowhere near as bad as the commercials made it seem. It's actually a little charming.

Peanutbutter

I already like this show. It does a good job showing the wonder within children's minds when they run around and play.

Peanutbutter

I can safely say this is already their second best new show behind Steven Universe. Dinner Party was a great episode. We need more Chad.

LumRanmaYasha

I think it's their best, myself. It's just a great slice of life comedy, easily the most "refreshing" cartoon I've seen on the air in a long while.

And yes, we do need more Chad.

Avaitor

Have you guys heard about this?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

No I didn't know that. Can't be as awkward as me reading Toriko and knowing about Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro being arrested for having sex with a 16 year old girl. By that, I mean, it's probably one of those things that's gonna be at the back of my head.

LumRanmaYasha

This is awful.  I hope CN's HR department is dealing with this situation swiftly. Such behavior should not be condoned and should be punished appropriately.

Avaitor

There's also this.

Wow. I really do want to get into CN's newer stuff some more, and try this out, so I hope that it doesn't end because of his actions. It sounds like the show wouldn't suffer too much without him, anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Avaitor on July 03, 2014, 12:34:32 PM
There's also this.

Can't say I'm surprised. A lot of series have less then admirable creators and still manage to be good, for the reasons this guy points out. I just hope no one loses their jobs over this Page guy.

Daikun