After Beware the Batman & Teen Titans Go, what's next for DC animated?

Started by hobbyfan, January 08, 2013, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

Quote from: Daikun on February 15, 2013, 10:49:25 PM
There will probably be three more Batman incarnations. That's DC's standard default route.

So it would appear. I'd rather they finally got around to doing Wonder Woman, and try to sell it to CW first rather than have CN's idiot savants get their hands on it and screw it up.

Come to think of it, having reruns of JLU on Vortexx would be a nice entry point for possible new series going to CW first after all. Does anyone know what the ratings have been for JLU on Vortexx?

Goldstar

How soon we'll ever get a Wonder Woman animated series will most likely depend on how well the Justice League movie does at the box office. There is the live action WW movie, but I haven't heard any new developments about that. I don't even know who's directing it now.

Female capes aren't the easiest to write for, male writers especially. Woman action heroes have to be able to kick down an iron door but still squeal with pleasure when a handsome man compliments them on their looks. They can't be Suzy Homemaker nor Rambroad. Writers have to meet somewhere in the middle for a workable formula.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

hobbyfan

I try to think of how the live-action Wonder Woman was able to succeed as long as it did (about 3 years in the late 70's). If WB can go back and look at that show, figure out the formula, do some research on the Amazon's history, they'll be able to make a bankable movie because it'd have to be made before a Justice League movie is made, a la Marvel's strategy leading up to Avengers. WW was equal parts superhero adventure and crime drama near the end of the run, and less about any romance between Diana & Steve Trevor. A little more balance might be key.

RacattackForce

A new Superman animated series would be nice, considering the last one we had ended back in 2000. It would also be nice if some of the DC Nation shorts were greenlit for full series as well. A Thunder and Lightning or Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld series would be pretty sweet.

hobbyfan

Unfortunately, given the mentality of the suits at Cartoon Network, any new DC toon has to be heavy on comedy (which Teen Titans GO! is likely to be), light on action. I would say if WB wants to green-light a Princess of Gemworld series, it's bound to end up on the Hub, which would pair it with girl-centric shows for younger viewers like Littlest Pet Shop and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and as we know, the latter series has a huge fan following. 'Nuff said.

Silverstar

Quote from: RacattackForce on April 01, 2013, 09:03:13 PM
A new Superman animated series would be nice, considering the last one we had ended back in 2000. It would also be nice if some of the DC Nation shorts were greenlit for full series as well. A Thunder and Lightning or Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld series would be pretty sweet.

How soon we get a new Superman show depends on how well The Man of Steel does at the box office.

Shows based on Thunder & Lightning or Amethyst seem unlikely under the current regime; neither CN nor WB seem willing to take a chance on any series starring any of the 'lesser' DC characters (i.e., anyone not named Super or Bat) without a hit movie, and they seem even less willing to launch a show starring a female hero, as the prevalent belief among the Suits is that female action figures don't sell very well.

I'd personally like to see Super Best Friends Forever get made into a series, but that too seems unlikely. I envision SBFF being more comedy than action (similar to TTGO!), but again, CN doesn't seem keen on shows starring female Capes. To echo Hobbyfan's post, said show would probably fare better on The Hub, but AFAIK, Cartoon Network typically gets first dibs on new WB animated projects, and I don't know if Lauren Faust would want to work with Hasbro again, given what happened with Friendship is Magic.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

hobbyfan

Seeing as how I'm not up to speed on a lot of things, what exactly happened with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Anyway, given the current CN administration's lack of respect toward their audience, and not just the target demo, mind, but all viewers of all ages, IMPO, I don't think they deserve to get first look on any new WBA projects. CW should (for Vortexx), followed by The Hub.

Silverstar

Quote from: hobbyfan on April 18, 2013, 09:33:54 PM
Seeing as how I'm not up to speed on a lot of things, what exactly happened with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Basically, Hasbro got dollar signs in their eyes and began making the show more and more toyetic, gradually moving further and further away from Ms. Faust's original vision of the show, to the point that she's no longer involved with the show, Twilight Sparkle has become an allicorn, we've got bad fan-made episodes about Rainbow Dash crashing dimensional barriers into Townsville and meeting the Powerpuff Girls being made and a fan-wank side show featuring the ponies as humans on the horizon.

QuoteAnyway, given the current CN administration's lack of respect toward their audience, and not just the target demo, mind, but all viewers of all ages, IMPO, I don't think they deserve to get first look on any new WBA projects. CW should (for Vortexx), followed by The Hub.

Would a new WBA show really fare that well on Vortexx? I only ask 'cause I've never seen the block, nor do I know anyone who does. Heck, I couldn't even tell you what channel it airs on.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

Warner Brothers Animation isn't going to debut a new animated series on Vortexx. The audience for a syndicated weekend block is far too narrow. WBA would want to run it on a major network where it could get wide exposure. Say what you want about Cartoon Network, the channel is a much better vessel for premiere super hero shows than an syndicated weekend block would be.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

hobbyfan

Quote from: Goldstar on April 19, 2013, 07:59:22 AM
Warner Brothers Animation isn't going to debut a new animated series on Vortexx. The audience for a syndicated weekend block is far too narrow. WBA would want to run it on a major network where it could get wide exposure. Say what you want about Cartoon Network, the channel is a much better vessel for premiere super hero shows than an syndicated weekend block would be.

Vortexx? "Narrow"? I get that the SatAM landscape isn't what it was when we were kids, but don't you think Vortexx would benefit from getting an additional established brand on the schedule which, like WWE, would guarantee new episodes every week? Sonic X has been out of production for several years, for example. If they can x-promote with CN, as WWE has been doing right along, then maybe the mindset's a bit different.

hobbyfan

Ok, I'm going to push this up because I've a fresh idea to run past you folks.

I think most of us are in agreement that Teen Titans GO! is a disservice to comics fans, and an insult to its intended target audience. There are the few, the proud, the TTG fans, but the emphasis is on few.

In an effort to address both fans of the Titans and Young Justice, I've cooked up a ginormous brainstorm, which I know WB might be interested in, but Cartoon Network won't even sniff, largely because it is not meant to be a 15-or-30-minute show. What I have in mind is a 1 hour comedy-drama.

Justice League Academy, which would be the working title, would bring back the YJ team, rebooted to retcon the death of Kid Flash out the window. Now, I read that Beast Boy joined YJ in season 2, which I haven't even seen. Unfortunately, according to what I read, they gave him the appearance of a monkey?? That's the influence of the 2003 Titans series for you. Sad to say, BB's been dumbed down considerably in TTG. I'd prefer to use him as he was presented in the comics in the 80's, as a girl-crazy young adult who was working in Hollywood before joining the Titans, and thus has teen idol-level good looks. Aside from BB, I'd bring in Cyborg & Starfire to join the YJ version of Robin.

I wasn't too thrilled with the use of the Wonder Twins on TTG, but let's put them in the Academy, too, back to normal size, BTW. Hmmm. Jayna & Starfire joining Miss Martian. 3 scoops of alien eye candy for the boys.

What do you guys think?

Silverstar

Quote from: hobbyfan on February 27, 2014, 02:42:13 PM

I think most of us are in agreement that Teen Titans GO! is a disservice to comics fans, and an insult to its intended target audience. There are the few, the proud, the TTG fans, but the emphasis is on few.

In an effort to address both fans of the Titans and Young Justice, I've cooked up a ginormous brainstorm, which I know WB might be interested in, but Cartoon Network won't even sniff, largely because it is not meant to be a 15-or-30-minute show. What I have in mind is a 1 hour comedy-drama.

Justice League Academy, which would be the working title, would bring back the YJ team, rebooted to retcon the death of Kid Flash out the window. Now, I read that Beast Boy joined YJ in season 2, which I haven't even seen. Unfortunately, according to what I read, they gave him the appearance of a monkey?? That's the influence of the 2003 Titans series for you. Sad to say, BB's been dumbed down considerably in TTG. I'd prefer to use him as he was presented in the comics in the 80's, as a girl-crazy young adult who was working in Hollywood before joining the Titans, and thus has teen idol-level good looks. Aside from BB, I'd bring in Cyborg & Starfire to join the YJ version of Robin.

I wasn't too thrilled with the use of the Wonder Twins on TTG, but let's put them in the Academy, too, back to normal size, BTW. Hmmm. Jayna & Starfire joining Miss Martian. 3 scoops of alien eye candy for the boys.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me, pity CN would never take it since it's not a "goofy boy comedy", and if they did, they'd treat it like dirt, offer it no support, advertising or encores and then yank it off the air when it fails to earn the desired ratings (surprise, surprise!) and declare it canceled. Maybe Hub Network could get it.

hobbyfan

Quote from: Silverstar on February 27, 2014, 04:30:32 PM
Quote from: hobbyfan on February 27, 2014, 02:42:13 PM

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me, pity CN would never take it since it's not a "goofy boy comedy", and if they did, they'd treat it like dirt, offer it no support, advertising or encores and then yank it off the air when it fails to earn the desired ratings (surprise, surprise!) and declare it canceled. Maybe Hub Network could get it.

That's what I was thinking. Like you've been saying, they really need to get out of the rut they're in with their attitudes toward their audience.