Greatest Villain Tournament 2014

Started by Pharass, March 15, 2014, 06:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Match 49:
LANCE! I always bask at him and the start of his music.
Negaduck
Alan
Schwarz

Match 50:
Greed
Joker
Naraku - I still love how he showed up at the end of the 2nd Inuyasha movie. Main series villains so rarely appear in anime movies.
Byakuya
King Piccolo
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pass on the first match

King Piccolo
The Joker
Byakuya
Naraku
Greed (I would've ranked him higher if GSF didn't rank King Piccolo last)

LumRanmaYasha

Match 49:

Schwartzwald
Edwin Epps
Alan Gabriel
Lance
Negaduck

Match 50:

The Joker - One of the best comic book villains ever and for good reason.

Byakuya of the Dreams - Mysterious and wry, Byakuya has to be noted as the only character in IY who never takes things too seriously, lurking in the shadows and doing just what he is told but never more. He's got some hilarious moments and I love how unafraid he was to make fun of Naraku to his face at times, which is something none of his other incarnations would dare to do. His laid-back personality also made him really interesting, as was the fact that he is the only one of Naraku's incarnations that was loyal to him until the end, probably because he knew it was useless to rebel against him and just didn't think it was worth it, and ultimately died satisfied about how he played his role in the grand scheme of things.

Naraku - Naraku is kind of all over the place. In the first half of the series he has a losing streak as bad as a saturday morning cartoon villain, and then after the Band of 7 arc he gets a winning streak that lasts through the Moryomaru arc. Also, alongside Kagome, he has some of the lamest, cringe-worthy dialogue in the series at times, which did irk me at parts. But while the repetitiveness of his encounters with InuYasha's group could get annoying early on, I found Naraku had a pretty strong characterization and his actions in the story, upon reflection, can actually be seen as tragic since not only did he lose sight of what he actually wanted as the story went on, but he, the manipulator, had been manipulated the whole time and it took until he held the completed Shikon Jewel in his hands that he realized that he could never get what he wanted and lost that a long time ago because of his own actions. So, while I definitely have my problems with him, I thought he was an interesting antagonist overall.

Greed - I prefer Greed in FMAB/the manga, where he's more of an anti-hero after he inhabits Ling's body and has what I feel to be a stronger character arc, but FMA Greed is a solid villain and probably the best one in that version of the series.

King Piccolo - I enjoy King Piccolo a lot because he's the first major villain in the series to be entirely villainous without any comedic elements to him. That said, I think he's also rather simple in his characterization, whereas the other villains in this match just have a bit more depth to them that makes me like them more, so I'm going to have to put him last here.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Match 49:
Same as CX

Match 50:
The Joker
King Piccolo
Greed
Naraku
Byakuya of the Dreams

Avaitor

Negaduck
Edwin
Schwarzwald
Gabriel
Lance

Joker
Piccolo
Byakuya
Greed
Naraku
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

Results:

Alan Gabriel: 15 pts
Lance: 16 pts
Negaduck: 19 pts
Schwarzwald: 25 pts
Edwin Epps: 15 pts

Greed: 21 pts
King Piccolo: 21 pts
Naraku: 15 pts
Byakuya: 15 pts
The Joker: 33 pts

Tie between Greed and King Piccolo.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Switch them in my rankings. That should allow King Piccolo to move on.

Pharass

Negaduck, Schwarzwald, King Piccolo and The Joker move on to Round 2.

Round 1, Match 51:

Skinner Sweet (American Vampire)

Vs

Ganon (The Legend of Zelda series)

Vs

Envy (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)

Vs

Wiseman/Death Phantom (Sailor Moon manga)

Vs

Shiva (Streets of Rage series)

Round 1, Match 52:

Ithnan (Magi)

Vs

Sailor Galaxia (Sailor Moon manga)

Vs

The Girl Gang (Sugar, Ginger and Pepper) (Urusei Yatsura)

Vs

Tsubaki (InuYasha)

Vs

Enishi (Rurouni Kenshin)

------------

My votes:

Skinner Sweet
Ganon
Wiseman
Envy
Shiva

Enishi
Galaxia
Ithnan
Tsubaki
Girl Gang

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Match 51:

Ganon
Envy
Wiseman/Death Phantom
Skinner Sweet
Shiva

Match 52:

Enishi
Sailor Galaxia
The Girl Gang
Ithnan
Tsubaki

gunswordfist

skinner sweet (the 2nd greatest new main villain in the last 14 years), shiva (the greatest unarmed boss of all time), ganondorf, wiseman and envy (the 2nd greatest homonculus).
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same as CX for the first match.

Same as Pharass for the second match.

VLordGTZ

Match 51
Same as CX

Match 52
Sailor Galaxia
Enishi
Ithnan
Tsubaki
The Girl Gang

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

Results:

Skinner Sweet: 18 pts
Ganon: 27 pts
Envy: 19 pts
Wiseman/Death Phantom: 17 pts
Shiva: 9 pts

Ithnan: 14 pts
Sailor Galaxia: 21 pts
The Girl Gang: 7 pts
Tsubaki: 9 pts
Enishi: 24 pts

Ganon, Envy, Galaxia and Enishi move on to Round 2.

Round 1, Match 53:

Askeladd (Vinland Saga)

Vs

Lucius Cornelius Sulla (Masters of Rome)

Vs

Tetsuo (Akira manga)

Vs

King Kong (King Kong)

Vs

Ren Gyokuen (Magi)

Round 1, Match 54:

Xenomorph (Alien)

Vs

Simon Skinner (Hot Fuzz)

Vs

Michael Myers (Halloween)

Vs

Donquixote Doflamingo (One Piece)

Vs

Elder Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)

-----------

My Votes:

Sulla - Easily my favorite character in the Masters of Rome series. Personally, I preferred it when the books focused on him and Gaius Marius instead of McCullough's blatant hero-worship of Julius Caesar.
Askeladd
Tetsuo - With great power comes great insanity. That's how it goes, right?
Gyokuen - Shrewd bitch.
King Kong - Not sure if I'd consider him a villain. Besides, I find the others more interesting anyway.

Doflamingo
Myers
Xenomorph
Simon
Elder Toguro - Points for creepiness. Ultimately though,  I like the ones above him a bit more.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.