Greatest Video Game Theme Ever Tournament

Started by gunswordfist, March 19, 2014, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 25, 2014, 09:24:27 PM
Sorry I didn't get around to that one.

For Wing Ding, you really gotta listen to the whole track. It shifts tones multiple times.
It does! I'm listening to it now. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For the record I listen to the full tracks of all of the entries in this competition (unless its an extended track, in which case I'll listen to it for a full 5 minutes instead). Personally, I think it would be unfair to not listen to the whole track in its entirety.

Spark Of Spirit

I figured most people did, I just really had to be specific on that one.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wing Ding
One of my favorite David Wise tracks, and that says a lot. That constantly changing mood depending on when you're on ground or in the sky adds a lot, too. One of my top tracks for sure.

2. Contra: Hard Corps - R.A.V.E. [Genesis]
Contra has always been killer with fast paced music other than the very boring Shattered Soldier OST. This track is no exception.

3. Yakuza Black Panther - Your Knife Feels Good
This feels like it could have fit in with the game I just mentioned one place above. Yakuza games have some fun soundtracks, and this track is one of them.

4. Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike Fight for the Future AST Kobu (Theme of Ryu)
It's not bad, but considering its competition, I'd have to go with it last. It doesn't touch his SFII/Alpha themes, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

There's only been one extended track and talon offered a replacement for it. I proceeded to listen to it all the way through like I did all the others  :) (and listened to it multiple times since that was a tough round for me.) Just finished relistening to R.A.V.E (I've listened to it plenty before this competition). Now I need to relisten to Kobu to decide which is my favorite out of the two.

gunswordfist

Contra - Whoaaaaa, the subtleties in the music make my soul purrrrrr. This is also the boss music of the lego guy on the art on the cartridge. ;D
Kobu - I love how the music changes for each round. So cool. This really stuck with me after playing the level a few times.
Wing Ding - Standard DK music, not that that's a bad thing. ;D
Yakuza - It was ok. Got better as it went on.

gunswordfist

I need more than 2 votes for this great round, please. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same as GSF, though I do really like the Yakuza theme. It was a pretty tough match, IMO.

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

Daw guys. :blush: Two more votes and the next round will be here right away. :)

LumRanmaYasha

gunswordfist

Meh, close enough. Next round starts now. :bleh:

1. Contra: Hard Corps - R.A.V.E. [Genesis] Music - 19
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wing Ding - 12
3. Yakuza Black Panther - Your Knife Feels Good - 6
4. Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike Fight for the Future AST Kobu (Theme of Ryu) - 13

Contra and Street Fighter advance!

Round 1
Match #8

1. Jungle Groove (Donkey Kong Country) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_orzL2KGhE8
2. TMNT Turtles in Time - Technodrome ~ Let's Kick Shell! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJnfiTDy2KE
3. Clothing Store Theme (Pokemon X and Y) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luZ9lkiZZuY
4. Ratchet & Clank - Blarg Depot, Planet Gaspar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cw466RJWaw

gunswordfist

I hate this round
1. Jungle Groove - Decent
2. TMNT - Kind of grating on the ears but it gets good later on
3. Ratchet - It was alright.
4. Potemkin - 32 seconds? Really? Really?!

talonmalon333

Could've worn I voted in the last round. Ah well.

Jungle Groove
Technodrome
Clothing Store Theme
Blarg Depot

Spark Of Spirit

1. Jungle Groove (Donkey Kong Country)
It's pretty much the Donkey Kong theme now. For good reason.

2. TMNT Turtles in Time - Technodrome ~ Let's Kick Shell!
One of those "Storm the castle!" themes. And one of my favorites.

3. Ratchet & Clank - Blarg Depot, Planet Gaspar
Actually one of my favorite Ratchet tunes. It only got knocked down because the other two or two of my overall favorites.

4. Clothing Store Theme (Pokemon X and Y)
Catchy. But it's a bit short for my liking.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same as Desensitzed.

I should probably start explaining some of my choices like in other threads, but it's hard for me to describe my feelings about music other than I like the sound of it or I don't.