Square Enix wants to return to their (and Eidos') roots

Started by Foggle, March 31, 2014, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Square Enix has realized that "mainstream appeal" is garbage and people are more likely to buy games if they're good. http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

Due to the success of Bravely Default overseas, they actually want to make real classic-style JRPGs again, as well as bring their western franchises (like Hitman) back to their roots. This may sound like a no-brainer, but for a big business - especially one as historically stupid as Square Enix - this is a big step in the right direction for gaming IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

I really wish Sakaguchi never made that movie.

That's what he was saying long before he was sacked.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

King Hippo

How about instead of making new games they make updated remakes of their SNES and PS1 games.

You know, kind of like exactly what their fanbase has been clamoring for since the PS2 days.

Foggle

I would much rather have completely new games that are as good as or better than the ones they made back then. If they still got it in 'em, that is.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 31, 2014, 06:29:57 PM
Call me when Einhander 2 is announced. K, thanks.
"What's Einhander? Is that a new third person shooter?" - actual SE dev
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2014, 06:31:00 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on March 31, 2014, 06:29:57 PM
Call me when Einhander 2 is announced. K, thanks.
"What's Einhander? Is that a new third person shooter?" - actual SE dev
"Is that game popular in America?"

Daikun

King Hippo

Honestly, I'm way too old to care about this crap now.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I'm sort of surprised they didn't sell them earlier. Square didn't really help anyone much last gen.

King Hippo

Final Fantasy XIII was supposed to be PS3-exclusive, but Sony's terrible 2007 sales convinced them to go multiplatform.

Besides three mediocre FFXIII games, a couple of other forgettable games, and a bunch of handheld titles, Square did jack all this past gen. What a disappointment.

Avaitor

Remember when Final Fantasy was one of the biggest franchises in gaming?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

King Hippo

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 17, 2014, 08:51:02 AM
Remember when Final Fantasy was one of the biggest franchises in gaming?
Remember when they had other franchises almost as good?

They don't even know their own company history.