Sailor Moon

Started by LumRanmaYasha, May 16, 2014, 06:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Well it can't look as bad as Kyosougiga, am I right guys?

...god that show's animation >_<.

gunswordfist

watch toei get the anime for lone wolf and cub just because.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 05, 2014, 12:43:04 AMwatch toei get the anime for lone wolf and cub just because.

Well, they did get the license on amother 70's manga, which is currently running, and as expected has godawful animation. So, with Toei, anything's possible. No series not currently licensed by another studio is safe from their legendary cheapness and desire to make a quick buck with absolutely no effort.

Thank god the never licensed Hunter X Hunter.

Daikun

Has anyone started a blog yet showing how much Toei sucks?

I think such a blog needs to exist. The world must know!

gunswordfist

at least one togashi got a good remake for one of their series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd do it if I had more time, but I'm studying for board exams this mint. Perhaps by Fall, if nobody else decided to go at it before I do (but I fully encourage anyone who's up to it).

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While still nothing great, this episode was a nice change of pace from the usual formula.

Avaitor

This is a kind of episode that the original anime would treat as silly, forgettable filler that actually mostly succeeds in its storytelling goals here. The series isn't great yet, but this is one of the stronger episodes thus far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I find it interesting that this isn't a completely faithful adaption of the manga after all. If it was, Jadeite should've died in the last episode, and the scene where the villains introduce themselves to the senshi does not happen at all in the manga. I guess they are expanding these characters' roles some? Can't really complain about that, since I've always felt that a lot of the villains in the manga were very underdeveloped.

Spark Of Spirit

The villains were the one thing the anime unquestionably did better than the manga, so I would hope so. I was never really interested in a 1:1 adaption, personally.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Watching episode 5 really highlighted a fundamental problem with this remake. The episode itself was the usual formula, which itself isn't the main problem, but rather the fact that they allowed it to be that way. What I mean is that, while thus is meant to be a more direct adaptation of the manga, perhaps that is NOT a good thing. For its time I'm sure it was great. However, compared to many series of today, it's silly, and downright demeaning for its target audience, which is young girls.

The main point that highlighted this was at the very end of the episode, where Usagi was declared the leader....just because. Yeah, for any viewer with half a brain, it's clear that she is the least qualified to lead any team. It would be better if another Sailor Scout was sinitially selected to be leader (and any of them are more qualified than Usagi currently is). In turn, Usagi could have worked her way up to becoming a leader as she matured. It may be different than the original, but it SHOULD be different. Having a remake like this would work much better as an update of a classic franchise for modern day kids. Instead it's just a lazy adaptation, and many fans will blindly hide behind the belief that the manga is like the series' holy bible and it must be followed at all times. Quite frankly, I'm sick of this notion, and honestly, series like these could really do with some innovation.

And, that doesn't just apply to this series. Series like Hunter X Hunter could also benefit from this treatment. While I like the 2011 anime, they hardly did anything to Improve upon the weaker elements of the manga. The Greed Island arc was still lackluster, and the narration-heavy half of the Chimera Ant arc wasn't re-worked to be better suited to animation (breaking the fundamental concept of "show, don't tell"). It's an adaptation that almost feels pointless to view if you've already read the manga, a big reason for why I prefer the 1999 anime. And for that matter, earlier anime series really did put in a lot more effort to spruce up some stories to make them better, and anime like Ashita no Joe 2, Dragon Ball, and Yu Yu Hakusho are all examples of how to do these sorts of adaptations well.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Japan has gotten super lazy with anime adaptations of manga, and SMC is the prime example of this. They prefer a quick buck over true innovation, creativity, and quality improvements.