What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I started up JoJo's again. I took a break after finishing part 5 a few months ago. I'm currently 10 chapters into Stone Ocean and I already like it better than parts 1, 3, and 5, which got me to realize that I've developed sort of a Star Trek movie complex with the original JoJo's timeline. Well, not to say that any of the odd-numbered parts are bad. On the contrary they're all quite good in their own rights. However, I just find that parts 2 and 4 are the ones that particularly catered to my personal tastes, and those are the story arcs that I would readily revisit. So far, even though it's early, part 6 seems to be following in the footsteps of arcs like those, and much like how part 4's Morioh City was a very creative and interesting setting, Stone Ocean's Green Dolphin Street Prison seems rife with both story-telling and battle scenario possibilities.

Overall, Stone Ocean is off to a great start.

Pharass

Recently I decided to re-read the four volumes of the French comic The Third Testament by Xavier Dorison and Alex Alice. The last time I read this comic was six years ago and so, I was curious to see if it was as good as I remembered it.
The best thing about The Third Testament is, without a doubt, Alice's art; which is excellent and suits the story very well. As for the story itself, it can best be described as a mix between The Name of the Rose and Raiders of the Lost Ark, without being quite on the same level as either of those. I think the biggest setback for this comic are the protagonists. In my opinion they're not very interesting; Marbourg is your typical grizzled old warrior with some demons in his past (and he looks like Connery to boot) and Elisabeth is your standard spirited young woman, who despite the comic taking place in medieval times, sometimes comes across as a time-traveler from the 21st century, more than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, The Third Testament is far from a bad comic. The story is competently told and there are plenty of exciting scenes. That said, its not one of my favorites.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Read Peplum by the French cartoonist Blutch. I've heard of the man before, but this is the first comic I read by him. Its a strange, intriguing and quite disturbing work, helped by some truly excellent black-and-white artwork.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I've been collecting and reading A Silent Voice on and off for the past couple of months, and finished it last night. Wow, what a great experience this was!

The series does a great job of giving each of its characters their time to shine and develop. Besides making Shoya a little more likable than he originally was, it does a good job of explaining each of the rest of the cast's thinking methods, and why they act the way they do. Even Shoko's mother, who I initially couldn't stand. And it's a fantastic read all the way through- possibly one of the best manga I've experienced.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

So the new Flintstones comic is really cool. First time I've laughed my ass off from the franchise since... well, ever. Just all the dark humor placed in Bedrock is so absurd. I love it for that.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

My copy of the first book of Black Museum came in today. It's got a good solid hardcover and binding. Hopefully I'll get to read it tonight, but I read the first few pages and it's pretty obviously Fujita in style. So glad to have one of his works finally translated.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also just bought the first volume of The Black Museum. I'll probably get around to it this weekend, but good god is Fujita's artwork so damn good.

gunswordfist

Black Museum's cover is so beautiful.

Pharass

That Flintstones comic looks interesting (and those are not words I ever expected to use together in a sentence). I'll have to check it out at some point.
By the way, would you guys be up for a "Greatest Comic" Tournament? I'm thinking of opening a nomination thread, once the "Greatest Anime Episode" tournament is finished.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

I'm down. But if you're gonna wait until the "Greatest Anime Episode" tournament is finished I suggest you guys start voting in that again so it actually can.  :humhumhum:

Pharass

On second thought, perhaps I should start a nomination thread now, instead of waiting. Barring any objections, of course.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm always down for more competitions. That said, I would like to see people start participating in the "Anime Episode" game again and get that back on track first.