What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on October 31, 2012, 06:48:55 PM
I thought Supes was still walking the Earth, Kane from Kung-Fu style, under JMS' writing.
No, that got canned and replaced with New Fustercluck. This JMS story is supposed to be the Superman that DC is introducing to newcomers and casual comics fans.

Foggle

Reading through the older Deadpool stuff again. All of it, this time... only read about half of each run in the past, and never really looked at the pre-Circle Chase stuff before.

Goddamn, X-Force is bad. The parts with DP are pretty fun, but it's just so fucking boring, and the art is hella' ugly. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to read the first 15 issues to make any sort of sense out of The Circle Chase and Sins Of The Past. Circle Chase was also pretty mediocre for the most part, but Sins Of The Past has actually been excellent so far, now that I have the proper context for it. Very funny and exciting; quite well-written at times.

The Deadpool Classic TPBs are really nicely done. High quality printings, I highly recommend them. And if you want to see Deadpool's X-Force appearances, they're scattered throughout two hardcovers named A Force To Be Reckoned With and Under The Gun, which are extremely well put together. A whole lot of effort for some shitty comics. :lol:

Avaitor

I have a soft spot for some of the original X-Force and Cable stories, but yeah, Liefeld's not an artist.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Well, I like Cable, Domino, and of course Deadpool, but the other characters really drag it down for me. Black Tom is awesome too. Garrison Kane and Siryn are alright.

Pharass

The last two comics I read were Planetary vol 2 and Sweet Tooth vol 1.

Planetary continues to be great; I loved the first volume, but this one manages to be even better. In volume 2 we get to know more about The Four and Ellis does a great job establishing them as a group of truly fearsome villains. By the way, I don't think I mentioned how great the artwork is in this book last time, so it's time to rectify that. The artwork is gorgeous to look at and John Cassaday is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists in the medium.

Sweet Tooth shows a lot of potential; I like the post-apocalyptic setting and the characters. However, I can't think of much else to write about it at this moment. I'll definitely check out the next volume though.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Yeah, Cassaday did a great job with Whedon's Astonishing X-Men too. nd 'm glad you're loving Planetary. Damn good comic book series.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

If you want a good teenage superhero comic book, read Dynamo 5. I read volume 2 yesterday and it had me reading fast because I wanted to see what was going to happen next so badly. The characters have a lot on their plate but they aren't whiny at all. They try to address problems instead of just whining. I believe they're all 17-19 years old so there's no early teen typically annoying storylines going on and there's no character in the team that you should clearly hate which usually goes with the territory. Plus the original premise for this series makes it so interesting.

Dr. Insomniac

So Bruce was in the honor roll. No surprise there.

gunswordfist

Read Punisher Slavers on Saturday. Hmmm, I wonder if any of the facts they mentioned are true. And as always, Garth makes these books seem like good action movie sequels. Where does he get all these great ideas from?

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"There's No Way My High School Baseball Manager Can Be This Slutty!"

Again!! is such a great manga. It might be slice of life, but it really seems to have little love for current genre cliches.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

Today I read 100 Bullets vol. 4 and Banana Fish vol. 6.

I don't really have anything to say about them, they're both among my favorite comics that I currently read.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Micki!

I'm actually not currently reading these, but I'll get to it, at least..!

- Several stories by H.P. Lovecraft, I've barely come halfway through this giant book, but the stories are great..!
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I should probably get the english version...
- Alien: The Illustrated Story, because Alien freaking rocks!!!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

gunswordfist

Yesterday I started Criminal Volume 2: Lawless and today I finished. What a good little crime story. I love reading Phillips'/Brubakers' stories. I definitely want to get the next volume.

I also Samurai Executioner Volume 2: Two Bodies, Two Minds was read by me today. I FINALLY read the second volume of the first manga I've ever read. So far it's just been Samurai Executioner and Rurouni Kenshin. The two could not be more different. Best way I could describe SE is it's more like detective stories. The main character has only been in one fight and it happened in this volume. But more importantly how the character thinks was went into and I'm liking Asaemon more and more. Even then, the stories are more about the crimes that occur. Asaemon didn't appear until 91 pages into the book this time and I can't complain. Very well written and gritty and all of that.