Let's talk Disney movies!

Started by talonmalon333, January 04, 2011, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Spark Of Spirit

I find it hard to talk about Disney movies. They're good, it's kind of hard to go into detail why since pretty much everyone knows it, there's not much to discuss.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I might do my own top 10 and pick some lesser talked about choices. I'll have to skip whatever talon did so I don't touch on repeated ground.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 11, 2011, 07:00:06 PM
I might do my own top 10 and pick some lesser talked about choices. I'll have to skip whatever talon did so I don't touch on repeated ground.

What if your top 10 CONTAINS movies I am listing? :P

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 11, 2011, 07:40:10 PM

Then I'll skip them. On the top of my head, I'm going to skip at least one movie, and you probably know which one that is.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 11, 2011, 07:42:46 PM

Then I'll skip them. On the top of my head, I'm going to skip at least one movie, and you probably know which one that is.

The Little Mermaid? The Lion King? The Little Mermaid?

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 11, 2011, 07:54:03 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 11, 2011, 07:42:46 PM

The Little Mermaid? The Lion King? The Little Mermaid?
Totally.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Alright everyone. Now we get down to the TOP TWO! I know it's early, but it's now Wednesday, so I'm fine putting this up now. NOW, announcing #2!

Beauty and the Beast. Ahhh, what a lovely film. This is easily my second favorite. :)

I could talk about it for hours. First of all, this is such a classic story, a "tale as old as time". And is has somewhat of a... mysterious aura to it. I don't know. Maybe it's cause of the stain glass windows. Either way, I love it.

The animation is also great, mostly during the film's signature piece, "Beauty and the Beast". My personal favorite, though, might be "Be Our Guest". Such a well written song it is, from the choral parts, to the instruments, it's awesome, especially the key change at the end. The music in general is amazing in this film, tied with The Lion King for my favorite.

And the characters are also wonderful, people that you grow attached to. I often have trouble really calling Belle the lead in the show, cause in some ways, it's the Beast's story. But anyway, I'd like to mention this: Belle is the greatest Disney female character. To me she doesn't get a whole lot of competition, the only one being the lovely Giselle from Enchanted.

Then there's Gaston. I love this guy. He's such a jerk, but he's completely human and you understand what he's doing, as cruel as it may be. I consider him one of Disney's best villains. Also, the voice for him is perfect, especially his bass singing voice. Awesome. 8)

Anything else I need to cover? ... I think I got it all, and I don't want to keep you for too long. Just know that it'll take something BIG to take the crown, considering how much I adore this one! :)

talonmalon333

I'll probably post #1 in an hour. In the meantime, does anyone have anything to say for #2?

talonmalon333

Alrighty ya'll. I've been prolonging the finale for long enough! It's time for the big reveal!

10. The Little Mermaid
9. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
8. Alice in Wonderland
7. Bambi
6. Toy Story
5. The Lion King
4. Pinocchio
3. Toy Story 3
2. Beauty and the Beast

Time for #1!

Ta-dah! My number one favorite Disney film! The classic! The masterpiece of artistic expression! FANTASIA! ;D

The film is about the music. Picking a favorite part of this is always incredibly challenging. However the first piece, "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor", is wonderful. Instead of using regular images such as animals, this piece is abstract, stimulating the images one imagines when listening to the music. It's an amazing piece given such delicate care.

"Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria" is another favorite. Honestly, this was always one of the scenes I remembered most. The animation is amazing, probably better then in the rest of the film. Also, the choice to pair "Night on Bald Mountain" with "Ave Maria" was an amazing idea. They are complete opposites, yet they work off of each other marvelously. "Ave Maria" is so... beautiful. And once it ends, the movie ends. There are no closing words or credits. It's just... perfect. :)

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" holds a lot of nostalgia value for me. In fact, the whole movie does, too. I used to watch it as a child. But until recently, there had to have been at least a 10 year period where I never saw the whole thing again. And when I saw it again, it... didn't disappoint. :)

This is easily the most under rated Disney film. It lost money initially, and I completely understand why many wouldn't like it. However, I truly believe this is Walt Disney's greatest work.

Avaitor

New blog!

Queen Rissa

And they lived happily ever after. *barf*
"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live"

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten"

Commode

Oh, nobody mentioned that Tangled comes to DVD March 29th.  From the Toon Zone.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm buying that.

Also, Alice is coming out on Blu-Ray on Tuesday. Also there.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Considering that my brother recently got a Blu-Ray player, I'm half tempted to get the Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack for Tangled.