The Greatest Anime/Manga Protagonist Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 03, 2014, 11:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Cartoon, will you be doing a tournament for heroes from all other types of media after this?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

I do plan to make more protagonist tournaments for characters from other media in the future. Right now, though, I kind of feel it's kind of weird that we haven't had a live-action movie tournament yet, so unless someone makes that before me, I'll probably do that one next. Also, I still want to make the Anime Ending Theme tournament as well and the Anime Music tournament sometime down the road, so I might make one of those before moving on to a new protagonist tournament as well.

gunswordfist

The Anime Music Tournament is my next project, actually.

I actually meant one tournament for all non-anime/manga protagonists.

We did a greatest movie tournament a few years ago, I believe. I'm thinking about doing something like that after the anime music tournament.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 13, 2014, 11:16:33 PM
I actually meant one tournament for all non-anime/manga protagonists.

Like I said, I do want to make a tournament for protagonists outside of anime/manga, but I'll probably do it after doing a different tournament first, to mix things up a bit.

gunswordfist

I thought you meant that you want to make multiple tournaments like one for TV protagonists, movies, etc.

LumRanmaYasha

I do... :P

What I was thinking was that we'd just keep them divided, and have one for live action protagonists, one for western animation protagonists, one for literary protagonists, etc. That way we can have multiple small competitions rather than one massive large one that would take forever to finish and people might get bored by. Unless you guys want to do it differently, of course.

In any case, we still have, like, around three months before this competition will actually end, so we still have a long ways to go before we have to make any decision on this.  :D

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

Do you think this tournament will actually be that long? I think this thread is already longer than Pharass'  :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that next time, it'd probably be better to enforce a maximum nomination cap. Like, no more than 8 per person (or more depending on how many people actually nominate), as well as a total nomination cap, like no more than 200, or something like that. We don't want people just nominating any characters that they like. It has to be characters that people really love and feel passionate enough about to want them to get enough recognition by moving onto later rounds. I think that's why the video game and animated show tournaments did so well. The rounds were much tougher because we already started off with much more interesting titles.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 14, 2014, 12:29:21 AM
Do you think this tournament will actually be that long? I think this thread is already longer than Pharass'  :D

By my estimate, yeah, at one match a day we won't be done until the end of the year.   :P

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 14, 2014, 12:34:08 AM
I think that next time, it'd probably be better to enforce a maximum nomination cap. Like, no more than 8 per person (or more depending on how many people actually nominate), as well as a total nomination cap, like no more than 200, or something like that. We don't want people just nominating any characters that they like. It has to be characters that people really love and feel passionate enough about to want them to get enough recognition by moving onto later rounds. I think that's why the video game and animated show tournaments did so well. The rounds were much tougher because we already started off with much more interesting titles.

Yeah, I agree that'd the best thing to do for future tournaments. That last few have just got too bloated, and that led them to be less interesting as a result. Limiting down the amount of choices would allow for a faster pace, and more interesting matches throughout the competition, rather than in just the final few rounds. I, particularly, will keep that in mind from now on, since a lot of it has been my fault in the first place for nominating way too much stuff that I didn't need too.  :sweat:

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Jim Hawking (Outlaw Star) - 19
Katsumi Orochi (Baki the Grappler) - 8
Captain Harlock (Space Pirate Captain Harlock) - 18
Jubei Kibagami (Ninja Scroll) - 15

Hawking and Harlock move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 71

Kurapika (Hunter X Hunter)

VS.

Misaki Matsuya (Excel Saga)

VS.

Krillin/Kuririn (Dragon Ball)

VS.

Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Trigun)

My Picks:

Nicholas D. Wolfwood
Misaki Matsuya
Krillin
Kurapika

gunswordfist

Yeah, 3 months does seem right, once I think about it. I will vote later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wolfwood
Kurapika
Krillin
Misaka

This was a good round, and pretty tough, since I really love 3 of these characters.

Pharass

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/