The Greatest Anime/Manga Protagonist Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 03, 2014, 11:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

And I happen to love all 4 of these characters!  :awesome:

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 22, 2014, 09:19:24 PM
I just want to make it clear, though, that I tend to ignore GTO's spin-off series' when I consider him one of my all-time favorite anime characters. Granted that the character himself is not horribly degraded in these lackluster spin-offs. It's more that the quality of all of the characters around him and the poor quality of the writing don't give him anything interesting to do, or at best just retreads ground that Shounan Junai Gumi and GTO already did much, much better. Seriously, Fujisawa, just leave Onizuka alone, now. He's already done his thing.

If the quality of Fujisawa's other series are any indication, I see why he keeps bringing him back again and again and again like he does and makes so many mediocre spinoffs of the series starting the characters around him. He's got nothing else.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, to be clear, I'm not discriminating against Silver Spoon characters. I just haven't read more than the first few chapters of the series, and that was a few years ago when it was brand new, so I don't have much of a grasp on the series. I have too big of a backlog to get into it right now, so it'll be a while before I finally get around to it. I do hear that it's better than FMA, though.

As for Fujisawa, I'd at least have more respect for him if he tried moving onto other stuff rather than exploiting the hell out of his cash cow, even if that other stuff was crap. I mean, look at Watsuki. He basically used all of his writing talent on one good series, but to his credit, he mostly left that series alone after it was finished (and he ended it on a high note, at that). While I don't particularly care that much for any of his latter work, I still do read it just out of respect for giving me one of my favorite manga ever. And yeah, I know that there was that RK spin-off series that was pretty mediocre, but it was really short and he obviously just did it because the people making the live-action movies wanted some promotional content to reignite interesting in the RK franchise in modern Jump readers. That's out of the way, now, and he didn't keep doing more and more mediocre stuff to bastardize his own series and characters.

VLordGTZ

Danpei Tange
Eikichi Onizuka
Okawa
Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi

Spark Of Spirit

Fujisawa's other series since GTO have all basically been GTO rehashed over and over, even when they don't star Onizuka. Like I said, I'd only be interested in a new Onizuka series if it was a spin off like GTO was from SJG and in the next stage of life. If he isn't willing to do that, I'm simply not interested.

Same as Avaitor.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He did a boring spin-off for Danma Ryuuji, which frustrates me since Danma was an AWESOME character in SJG, and was really just as important of a character as Onizuka was in that series. He had the potential to give him a great series of his own that was entirely different from Onizuka's series, but instead he did absolutely nothing interesting or worthwhile with the character, and it just felt like GTO with more Danma in it, except way less interesting.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 22, 2014, 10:12:41 PM
He did a boring spin-off for Danma Ryuuji, which frustrates me since Danma was an AWESOME character in SJG, and was really just as important of a character as Onizuka was in that series. He had the potential to give him a great series of his own that was entirely different from Onizuka's series, but instead he did absolutely nothing interesting or worthwhile with the character, and it just felt like GTO with more Danma in it, except way less interesting.
Was it really that hard to make a story about a cool biker/mechanic that travels from town to town beating thugs up and getting/losing the girl?

C'mon, this stuff writes itself!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi (Digimon Adventure) - 9
Eikichi Onizuka (Shonan Junai Gumi/Great Teacher Onizuka) - 19
Okawa (Silver Spoon) - 6
Danpei Tange (Ashita no Joe) - 16

Onizuka and Danpei move on to round 3.

Round 2: Match 11

Alibaba Saluja (Magi)

VS.

Taichi-Hiragi Keaton (Master Keaton)

VS.

Koichi Hirose (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

VS.

Piccolo (Dragon Ball)

My Picks:

Piccolo
Koichi Hirose
Taichi-Hiragi Keaton
Alibaba Saluja

gunswordfist

Flute, koichi, ali and keaton.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

VLordGTZ

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Alibaba Saluja (Magi) - 8
Taichi-Hiragi Keaton (Master Keaton) - 11
Koichi Hirose (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) - 12
Piccolo (Dragon Ball) - 19

Piccolo and Koichi move on to round 3.

Round 2: Match 12

Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

VS.

Shunsaku Ban (Astro Boy)

VS.

Shuichi Akai (Detective Conan)

VS.

Reinhard von Lohengramm (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Ooh, this is a toughie:

Shunsaku Ban
Shuichi Akai
Joseph Joestar
Reinhard von Lohengramm

VLordGTZ

Joseph Joestar
Shuichi Akai
Shunsaku Ban
Reinhard von Lohengramm

Dr. Ensatsu-ken