The Greatest Anime/Manga Protagonist Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 03, 2014, 11:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same as Desensitized.

I love Impmon's redemption arc so much. For a kids show, it really does delve into pretty heavy subject matter, and he is involved in my personal favorite scene in the entire Digimon franchise. And yes, I like it even more than the epic Omnimon scene from Our War Game.

Spark Of Spirit

When I was re-watching Tamers, it was his arc that surprised me at how well developed it was. From goof-off to villain to hero, it works really well especially because of how much he goes through.

He wanted power above all and got it so easily, but in exchange when he wanted forgiveness it took the entirety of the series to gain it. It was really interesting seeing him trying to figure it all out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Akane Tendo (Ranma 1/2) - 11
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins) - 4
Don Patch (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo) - 13
Impmon/Beelzemon (Digimon Tamers) - 12

Don Patch and Impmon move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 28

Yuzuru Nishimiya (A Silent Voice)

VS.

Kenji (20th Century Boys)

VS.

Mr. Satan (Dragon Ball)

VS.

Father Garai (MW)

My Picks:

Yuzuru Nishimiya
Kenji Endo
Mr. Satan
Father Garai

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Gutalala Sudalala
The Devil
What'd'ya say?
Some bad pun involving Tezuka

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Normally I'd like if more than one other person besides myself votes on a match, but eh, whatever, I'll just move us along.

Results:

Yuzuru Nishimiya (A Silent Voice) - 6
Kenji (20th Century Boys) - 7
Mr. Satan (Dragon Ball) - 5
Father Garai (MW) - 2

Kenji and Yuzuru move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 29

Sasuke Furuta (Hyouge Mono)

VS.

Kiyoharu Togawa (REAL)

VS.

Kenzo Tenma (Monster)

VS.

Olivier Mira Armstrong (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood/manga)

My Picks:

Kenzo Tenma
Kiyoharu Togawa
Olivier Mira Armstrong
Sasuke Furata

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Tenma- My 2nd favorite character from Monster, and my 3rd favorite Urasawa character overall

Kiyoharu- Admittedly my least favorite of the main 3, but that doesn't mean that he's not awesome, and he has the most interesting backstory in the series by far; I consider him to be a much better version of Rukawa from Slam Dunk

Olivier- Honestly, aside from being a strong female in a physical sense of the word, I always felt that people overrated this character simply just because she was strong and a woman; I mean, she's an alright character, but IMO not nearly the most interesting, either in her own series, or compared to other female characters with better characterization

Sasuke- Sorry, I haven't seen Mononucleosis: TAS yet, but at least he has to be better than that OTHER Sasuke that everyone in their right mind despises

gunswordfist

Mira Armstrong - Easily the best character that wasn't in the original anime. I love how she isn't a whiny and she's probably in my favorite fight in the show. Certainily the best time "To Be King" played.
Sasuke
Tenma
Kiroharu

Pharass

Tenma
Sasuke
Olivier
Kiyoharu - Haven't read Real, though I've heard good things about it.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

VLordGTZ

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Pharass on September 01, 2014, 05:39:28 AMKiyoharu - Haven't read Real, though I've heard good things about it.

Have you ever read Slam Dunk or Vagabond? It's by the same guy. It's a seinen manga with all of the heart found in something like Slam Dunk, combined with the philosophical life messages found in Vagabond. It's Inoue Takehiko's best manga, IMO. Though, it is truthfully a drama more than it is an actual sports manga.

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Sasuke Furuta (Hyouge Mono) - 12
Kiyohara Togawa (REAL) - 12
Kenzo Tenma (Monster) - 22
Olivier Mira Armstrong (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood/manga) - 14

Tenma and Armstrong move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 30

Ken Masters (Street Fighter manga)

VS.

Sesshomaru (InuYasha)

VS.

Ryuhou (S-cry-ed)

VS.

Schierke (Berserk)

My Picks:

Sesshomaru - One of my all-time favorite anime/manga characters. No, really. He has a fantastic character arc, growing from a villain into an anti-villain, then an anti-hero into finally, a true hero. He has the most intricate character development in the entire manga, and it pays off beautifully in The Final Act, and it's a major part of what drives the series towards the end of it and why I enjoy it as much as I do. He's the best written character of his archetype (and the only one that I like), with one of the best character arcs in any shonen manga, and my favorite Rumiko Takahashi character after the main leads of UY and MI.

Schierke
Ryuhou
Ken Masters