31 Nights of Halloween

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I love the Evil Dead trilogy, but I'm very tired today and barely able to type coherent sentences.

Daikun

The Evil Dead trilogy is awesome and gets better with each movie. Very rarely does a trilogy accomplish that feat.

talonmalon333

Evil Dead is Raimi's best trilogy.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daikun on October 05, 2014, 09:41:40 PM
The Evil Dead trilogy is awesome and gets better with each movie. Very rarely does a trilogy accomplish that feat.
The Before trilogy certainly does, itself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

I didn't have time to watch either movie, but I have seen Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness and love both of them. Ash is a great protagonist and Bruce Campbell gives him a lot of personality and charisma. Any series that combines Cthulhu Mythos (well, one element of it at least) with horror, action, and comedy is a legendary one in my book.

Spark Of Spirit

I have nothing to say about Evil Dead that hasn't been said a million times. It's great, go see it.

As for The Shining, the book is absolutely worth reading. Stephen King has written a TON of crap throughout his career, but his early triad of books after Carrie (which is not really my thing) are totally worth reading. Forget whatever else you might have read of his, those three should be read if you're a fan of horror.

Salem's Lot is a good modern vampire tale where most of them change the rules and neuter the monster, but King doesn't. He follows classic vampire rules which makes the story really tense and quite an interesting read. There has never been an adaption that nails the feel of the book, and hoping for one nowadays is a waste of time. If you're a Bram Stoker fan, you should give this one a try.

The Shining is old school psychological horror, and really good. Kubrick was able to make a movie this good because he had a really good base to build off of. If you're a fan of the film, you should read the book. The differences between the book and film are enough that your appreciation between the two should grow. He recently wrote a sequel called Doctor Sleep that stars a grown up Danny which is supposedly his best book since The Stand as if he suddenly remembered what he was best at. The man may be arrogant and pompous, but even he has to know that his best work was in the classical horror vein.

The Stand is about the end of the world and the battle of good and evil. There are a lot of characters, a lot of things going on, a villain that's quite eerie (the villains in these three books are quite good at being bad) and a surprising life-affirming message throughout despite all the horror going on. It's an extremely long book, but it earns the length as instead of being padded the story is just that long. Part dystopia, part adventure, part horror, and part end of the world, it is undeniably his best work. He must know it, too, because nothing he's done since then has had nearly the ambition, passion, or drive he had when writing this one. Either marred by stupid premises (Christine), stupid endings (It), or a coke-addled tale of ultimately nothing worth reading (Tommyknockers), he never quite reached those heights again. As such, I've been waiting for an adaption to do it justice, but no one has done it yet. In the right hands, it would be quite a good trilogy of movies.

If you want my opinion, Kubrick should have done Salem's Lot, too. Hoping for a good vampire movie nowadays is just a hopeless proposition.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 6:

Review (Minor Spoilers): http://cinemassacre.com/2009/10/23/23-return-of-the-living-dead-1985/

It's "Party Time" tonight with this zombie horror comedy. In this tale, we learn that Night of the Living Dead was patently based on true events, and as our dumb-ass characters release a strange sealed up gas, they are once again reigniting the terror of that film in their very own neighborhood.

This is yet another one of the greatest horror comedies ever, and one of the best 80's films in general. The Return of the Living Dead is by far my favorite zombie film, and yes, I love Romero's trilogy to death (no pun intended), but this one gets the most re-watches out of me. I also enjoy Shaun of the Dead as a zombie parody flick, but this one is one of the aforementioned that does, for all intents and purposes, play its premise pretty straight, but with so many excellent humorous moments from start to finish. The tone is just perfect.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, I absolutely implore that you do. It really is among the best of the best of its genre, and totally worth multiple watches.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 06, 2014, 12:10:53 PMAs for The Shining, the book is absolutely worth reading. Stephen King has written a TON of crap throughout his career, but his early triad of books after Carrie (which is not really my thing) are totally worth reading. Forget whatever else you might have read of his, those three should be read if you're a fan of horror.

Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand

Once I go back to my mom's house where I have access to the local library, I'll definitely check those books out. ;)

talonmalon333

Favorite character in Return of the Living Dead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpeN0ct95hk

"You think this is a costume? This is a way of life!"

Great movie.

Spark Of Spirit

The ambulance (or should I say ambulances?) scene almost made me die laughing the first time I saw it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 06, 2014, 12:27:38 PM
The ambulance (or should I say ambulances?) scene almost made me die laughing the first time I saw it.

Is that when help approaches the ambulance and you see zombies swarm them through the window? Or when the zombie talks over the radio? I nearly died from both.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The zombie talking over the radio calling for more backup was hilarious. In general, I just love the creative decision to let the zombies talk in this one. It makes them much more interesting than any other zombies I've seen, even if their dialogue is mostly pretty comedic stuff.

talonmalon333

I also love just how egregiously huge the outbreak becomes (with an ending that suggests it'll go global) all because of a little slip at the beginning of the film.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 06, 2014, 12:34:47 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 06, 2014, 12:27:38 PM

Is that when help approaches the ambulance and you see zombies swarm them through the window? Or when the zombie talks over the radio? I nearly died from both.
Do I really have to choose?  :lol:

If you haven't seen this movie before, let me give you a hint. Remember that Simpsons THOH episode with the zombies from the early seasons? This movie is a full length version of that, and just as funny.

talonmalon333

I love how, at the end, when the missile is launched toward the city, one of the characters literally asks "Did you hear something?". Such a comedic way to make light of the fact that they're all about to die. :D