31 Nights of Halloween

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Oh wow, I have got to watch this again soon. I definitely enjoyed the film, but I don't really think that I understand it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 9:

Tonight, we get re-animated with....Re-Animator....and....yeah, I'm running out of clever things to say about these movies. Anyways, this is yet another one of my favorite horror comedies. So many priceless scenes to remember in this one. My favorite parts are with Dr. Hill's corpse and talking head. I just burst out in laughter whenever he's on screen. You really need to watch this movie if you haven't seen it already. It's right up there with An American Werewolf in London and The Return of the Living Dead as being among the very best in the genre.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

On another note:

Desensitized, since I know that you aren't here to post on the weekends, would you like me to move some of your entries around so that they all show up on weekdays when you can discuss them? I'd just have to switch them around with movies that nobody would mind me shifting around between days.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 09, 2014, 02:32:45 PM
On another note:

Desensitized, since I know that you aren't here to post on the weekends, would you like me to move some of your entries around so that they all show up on weekdays when you can discuss them? I'd just have to switch them around with movies that nobody would mind me shifting around between days.
I would like that since my copy of Body Snatchers hasn't arrived yet and I really wanted to rewatch it before posting on it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, I'll move both to later dates that you can post on. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

New order:

11th: Ring
12th: The Omen (1976)
15th: The Exorcist
30th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)

Talon, I hope you don't mind that I moved around one of your movie selections to make the change work. If you're not OK with that, then just let me know and I'll figure something else out.

Foggle

Re-Animator is hilarious and all around excellent! It was also my first introduction to Lovecraft, whose work I have an odd fascination with. It's been many years since I've seen it, and if I wasn't so busy tonight, I'd definitely be watching it again. Fantastic film. :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm honestly not that familiar with Lovecraft's literature, which I've heard is a it dense and hard to get into, but the concepts found there have certainly influenced many great horror films, this one included. I do love how they really play up the comedy in this movie, though, yet don't skimp on the effects and actually make them look as grotesque as possible, rather than laughably bad simply just because the film is comedic in tone. Honestly, the 80's was THE decade of the horror comedy. So many classics in that genre from that era alone.

Hell, they take up a majority of my top 5, with the only one on my list that's not from that decade being The Host.

Foggle

The grotesqueness of the effects really adds to the humor in my opinion. I love it when comedies aren't afraid to do things like that. As a genre film, it wouldn't work nearly as well without the gross stuff.

Spark Of Spirit

Lovecraft loved purple prose. On the plus side, all his works are short, so it shouldn't take you much time to read a short story or novella here or there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't have time to watch the movie again, but I do have a copy of his complete work, so I'll try to read "Herbert West–Reanimator" again to compare notes on the film itself from what I recall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 09, 2014, 08:08:03 PM
Lovecraft loved purple prose. On the plus side, all his works are short, so it shouldn't take you much time to read a short story or novella here or there.
I actually kind of like purple prose, if I'm honest. The worst sin that kind of writing commits is that it flaunts how good the author is at their craft. I'd certainly rather read flowery BS than YA crap or VN exposition.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 09, 2014, 03:36:44 PM
New order:

11th: Ring
12th: The Omen (1976)
15th: The Exorcist
30th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)

Talon, I hope you don't mind that I moved around one of your movie selections to make the change work. If you're not OK with that, then just let me know and I'll figure something else out.

I was actually kind of anxious to talk about Ring, so I'm pleased by this change. ;D

As for Re-animators, I'm ashamed to admit I still need to see it.

LumRanmaYasha

It's on Netflix, I believe. I'll try and see if I can watch it myself before it gets too late tonight, but I still have a lot of work to do for a class tomorrow, so I'm kind of iffy on that.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 09, 2014, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 09, 2014, 08:08:03 PM
I actually kind of like purple prose, if I'm honest. The worst sin that kind of writing commits is that it flaunts how good the author is at their craft. I'd certainly rather read flowery BS than YA crap or VN exposition.
Old school space opera is full of purple prose, so I have nothing against it when strange concepts have to be explained. Just that most modern readers don't like that sort of writing, and a lot of the stuff tends to go on about the color of leaves or things the reader doesn't really care about, so it serves as a sort of warning.

That said, Lovecraft and Poe are pretty much the standard for modern horror reading.