31 Nights of Halloween

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Lovecraft loves to get into the nitty gritty of every little facet he portrays in his story, which I personally love to read. I understand that it's not for everyone, but hey, Victor Hugo doesn't do it for me. Everyone's different.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Medusa's Coil is a good one of Lovecraft's. The reveal is pretty shocking too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 10:

Tonight, we'll have a bloody mary first thing, a bite at the King's Head, couple at the Little Princess, stagger back here and bang...back to the bar for shots. Then we'll open up a red Cornetto cone and watch all of that happen in tonight's movie, Shaun of the Dead.

I have to admit, I used to not like this movie, but the humor eventually grew on me. It's still my least favorite of the Cornetto trilogy, but it has plenty of really funny moments and some truly memorable lines that are really fun to quote.

Avaitor

I mentioned before that I got to see this in a double feature with Zombieland when that came out, to a packed theater no less. Such a great experience.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, Zombieland was another great one. Oddly enough, I have a friend who thinks that it's really overrated, but part of that is because he detests Jesse Eisenberg. I'm not a fan of the guy, myself, as he basically acts the same in every goddamn role that he does, but I do feel that his formulaic performance actually suited that film quite well.

I'd say that SotD is the stronger comedy film with zombies, but Zombieland is still really worthwhile in its own right, IMO. Those bits with Bill Murray had me bursting out with laughter almost uncontrollably, which is really saying a lot since very few comedies can get me to do that.

Daikun

I'm not a fan of this movie, personally. The movie stops dead in its tracks once they enter the bar, then it's just a waiting game till the zombies break inside. I think it's the weakest of the Cornetto trilogy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It took me a few viewings before I started to like this movie, myself. When it first came out, I thought people were just overrating it and I didn't find it that funny, but after Hot Fuzz and The World's end, I really got into Edgar Wright and Simon. Pegg's brand of humor, and those in turn made me appreciate just how densely packed with great jokes SotD was. It's arguably one of the smartest horror comedies ever. That said, I do agree that it's the weakest entry in the Cornetto trilogy. It's very funny, IMO, but not even close to Hot Fuzz or The World's End in terms of being laugh out loud funny.

Foggle

I love Shaun of the Dead all the way through, even since the first time I watched it. I personally find the other Cornetto films and Spaced to be funnier, but SotD is still fantastic and genuinely gets better with every viewing.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 10, 2014, 02:38:34 PM
Oh yeah, Zombieland was another great one. Oddly enough, I have a friend who thinks that it's really overrated, but part of that is because he detests Jesse Eisenberg. I'm not a fan of the guy, myself, as he basically acts the same in every goddamn role that he does, but I do feel that his formulaic performance actually suited that film quite well.
I dunno, I find Eisenberg to be the sharper, more interesting Michael Cera. Or at least, that's what I took from The Social Network.

I'm not sure how I'd rank the Cornetto trilogy, myself. All I know is that Spaced is my favorite project of Wright's, and there's no way that a good, concise Scott Pilgrim movie could have been made in one part, but he tried his hardest.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do really need to watch Spaced, someday. It's really short, so it shouldn't take too much time out of my schedule, but I'll need to find a place that's streaming it.

As for the Cornetto films, I'd say that I honestly liked Hot Fuzz and The World's End just about as much as each other, which is saying a lot given how much TWE had to live up to as the spiritual successor to HF. I do really like SotD, but like I said, it only grew on me after I watched those films.

Foggle

For some reason, a lot of people seem to think The World's End was the weakest Cornetto film, with some of them even calling it legitimately bad. I cannot possibly fathom this opinion. I thought it retained the humor/action of Hot Fuzz and the intelligence of Shaun of the Dead. Easily the best film of 2013 IMO, and probably my favorite of the trilogy (though Hot Fuzz makes me laugh out loud more).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Those people are idiots. Dilemma solved. :>

Avaitor

I have to admit, I don't find The World's End as funny as SOTD or Hot Fuzz, but it's a stronger film in terms of execution and narrative. It is indeed mighty funny itself, though.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera need to star in a remake of Dude, Where's My Car? Then we'd truly see the range they are capable of.

I like this movie, but also agree that the bar is where the movie slows to a crawl and becomes entirely obvious as to where it's going. That said, it's a good movie. It's just not my favorite of their movies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

The only Cornetto movie I've seen is The World's End (yeah, I know, I need to fix that), but it ranks as one of my favorite movies, personally. It was by far my favorite film from last year, and I thought it was extremely clever, well-written, and had lots of laughs and some of the best action scenes I've seen in any movie. I can't imagine there are actually people who call it a bad film.  :wth:

Anyway, uh, Shaun of the Dead. I'll try and watch it later tonight, or at the very least watch both it and Hot Fuzz before the weekend is up.