31 Nights of Halloween

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to watch this one again in years, but I did see it a while back after I got a little nostalgic about the American Ring. Good stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 12:

On the 12th night of Halloween the Devil gave to me....his little demon spawn who's super fucking scary....:devil:

If all of you pussies were pissing your pants with the other movies on offer so far, this one will outright cause you to defecate in them. Aside from that, though, it's just a really good movie, and one of my favorite classic horror movies. It's right up there with The Exorcist as being one of the best religion-based horror films of all time. Let's just forget about that crappy 6/6/06 remake that's the worst thing to happen to classic cinema since the Psycho remake that also lifted every single shot straight from the original.

Anyways, on top of having a fucking amazing soundtrack, the movie also stars Gregory Peck. Yes, the very same guy who starred in the classic Cape Fear (now that I think about it,how the fuck did I not nominate either version of that film?), the excellent drama To Kill a Mockingbird, and the highly underrated Western classic, Mackenna's Gold. To get an A-list actor like that to star in a horror movie, at a time when the genre was far from well respected by both critics and the general public alike, was truly a big deal. His performance was truly excellent, of course, but you know what, he still doesn't steel the show. That honor goes to the nanny, the dog, and of course that damn kid. Fucking Damien. You're the creepiest little shit that I've ever seen.

Avaitor

This is easily among my all-time favorite soundtracks.

The sequel has a pretty good score, as well, but the film isn't nearly as good. It's not bad, but let's be real, as much as I like William Holden, he's no replacement for Gregory Peck. Still, I wouldn't mind owning the original franchise set. I actually haven't seen the last 2 films, either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as horror movie sequels go, 2 was surprisingly not that bad, if memory serves. I recall it having a decent story and some good acting (at least better than what I expected), but yeah, it just pales in comparison to the original.

But yes, that soundtrack is amazing. I honestly consider The Omen to have the best horror movie soundtrack of all time, by far.

Avaitor

Really, I watched Damien because it's supposed to be the inspiration behind this indie track, but there's some surprising meat to it, and maybe if we do this again next year, I'll nominate it.

But yeah, let me see if I can try to get to the original tonight so I can talk about The Omen some more. I will say that this is one of my favorite scenes in any horror movies, though. The reactions from everyone is what sells it for me.

New blog!

talonmalon333

The Omen is a creepy movie. I probably don't like it as much as you guys do, but Gregory Peck is great as usual. I like how they managed to get Damien to give that smile in the last shot of the film. Apparently they literally kept whispering to him things like "Don't laugh. Don't you dare laugh". Sure way to get a reaction from a child.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 13:

Tonight we visit a neighborhood built over a Native American burial ground and see just why that's probably the worst idea ever. It's worth mentioning that before it was even conceived in Ring, this movie, among it's other interesting uses of horror, basically started that famous coming out of the TV scare. In fact, the author if the novel for Ring even cited this movie as his inspiration for that scene, so there's also that.

Anyways, this was a PG film that still has far more to offer in the way of atmosphere and special effects than most R-rated horror films, both of its own time and especially to this day. No, it's not particularly scary, but it is always a very engrossing movie to watch thanks to its brilliant execution. It's definitely one of those great horror movies that you can show to your kids, but still enjoy just fine as an adult.

talonmalon333

You can kind of feel the combined efforts of Tom Hooper and Steven Speilberg's different styles at work in this movie.

Solid movie. I think it was inspired by The Twilight Zone episode Little Lost Girl. If so, that means we got from The Twilight Zone, to Poltergeist, and then to The Ring, which proceeded to inspire many horror films in its own country. I guess, in the end, it all goes back to The Twilight Zone.

Foggle

I haven't seen this one since I was like 9. That said...

THE CLOWN DOLL

Avaitor

I haven't seen this one before, strangely enough. I can't tell you why, either. I do know that this and Temple of Doom were big arguments as to why the PG-13 rating was made, and that Spielberg very possibly had the same position in the film as Howard Hawks did for The Thing  From Another World, but that's about it. Besides the Family Guy episode, of course.

I can try to get to this tonight, but I might not be able to. If not, TCM shows it here or there, so I'll see if it's coming in the next few days and I'll come back.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 13, 2014, 03:55:36 PM
I haven't seen this one since I was like 9. That said...

THE CLOWN DOLL

Spoiler
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on October 13, 2014, 04:54:16 PM
I haven't seen this one before, strangely enough. I can't tell you why, either. I do know that this and Temple of Doom were big arguments as to why the PG-13 rating was made, and that Spielberg very possibly had the same position in the film as Howard Hawks did for The Thing  From Another World, but that's about it. Besides the Family Guy episode, of course.

I can try to get to this tonight, but I might not be able to. If not, TCM shows it here or there, so I'll see if it's coming in the next few days and I'll come back.
I find this very surprising.

Though not directed by him, there's a big Spielberg presence in this film that really adds to this one and just makes it an enjoyable watch. It probably helps that it's his story and he co-wrote the screenplay. It's not the scariest horror movie, but it's a fun movie to watch every Halloween. I'm glad I was able to nominate it, because there's nothing quite like a Spielberg film.

That said, I hope everyone's planning on giving it a watch.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 14:

Tonight we indulge in the remake of the REAL first vampire to make his way to film. While originally intended to be a Dracula film, the title was changed to Nosferatu when the director could not secure the rights to adapting the novel, but it's basically the story of Dracula, so you sometimes see this horror icon referred to as the OTHER Dracula.

I must admit, I haven't seen this remake, but I'll try to find it by tonight.

talonmalon333

You definitely should see this one, E-K, preferably in a dark room. I highly recommend it. It's not just a remake of the original film, but a genuine recreation of it. Max Schreck was probably the scariest vampire of all time, but I think Klaus Kinski is just as good in his own completely different way. And I don't consider this a spoiler, but since copyright issues weren't an issue for this movie, director Werner Herzog was able to use all the original names... though, from what I gather, most surviving prints of the silent film just call the count "Dracula" anyway, and that's what I recognize him as, and I would call it the first Dracula movie.

Avaitor

I'm pretty decently versed in Herzog, but this is another one that I'm not familiar with. Sadly, I don't really have the time to catch it tonight, since I'm going to be rather busy soon. I really do want to see it, though.

New blog!