DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It's for the best. There are just too many streaming services out, and HBO Max can always use the additional content.

Besides finding a way for the comics library to be available digitally, my main hope is that all of the shows and films on DC Universe make it to Max, not just the new stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It seems like more than anything, WB is banking on the hope that John Cena's name recognition can be a draw similar to The Rock, regardless of how wooden his acting tends to be. Just like usual, though, WB is jumping the gun by announcing spin-offs to stuff that hasn't even been released yet or proven to be successful. While I have faith in James Gunn to turn in a good movie, it still ends up feeling like WB hasn't really learned from their past mistakes.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

I watched a little of Titans out of morbid curiosity, and what the fuck's up with their Bruce Wayne? Anytime he shows up, he has a completely different personality than the last time he appears. Sometimes, he's psychotic and all of Batman's worst impulses. Then other times, he's cuddly Iain Glen who does the Batusi. Not to mention the times where he's Dick's hallucination.

So they change his personality yet again in the season premiere, and the show wants me to think he's Bruce at his worst, a psychotic vigilante who turns innocent kids into child soldiers. Problem is, Jason's an asshole on his own in this show without Bruce's help, and the person explaining why Batman sucks is a cop at the GCPD. And countless Batman stories and adaptations have shown the GCPD as one of the most corrupt police departments in fiction, and the few other good cops who aren't Gordon either leave to become superheroes/vigilantes or die in the line of duty.

Daikun

Y: The Last Man is cancelled.

I guess Disney wasn't comfortable airing a DC show, eh?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Peacemaker is definitely not going to be for everyone, but it's old-school James Gunn (more so than even TSS) and it's totally my jam. It feels like a spiritual successor of sorts to Super.

I also like how he's incorporated the soundtrack choices for this show into Peacemaker's actual character.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the Super vibes were heavy in the first two episodes I've seen. Hoping Vigilante diverges from being black and blue Deadpool though.

Avaitor

"Having a lesbian haircut doesn't make you an ally."

Yeah, this is pretty good so far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another great episode this week. I'm genuinely loving this show in a way that I haven't loved a superhero show since Daredevil. It also really feels like a combination of all of this past work up to this point. The suburban shenanigans of Peacemaker and Vigilante come straight out of Super. The dysfunctional family aspect of the main squad is akin to Guardians of the Galaxy and obviously The Suicide Squad from last year. The grotesque body horror elements of the Butterflies hearken back to Slither. And even the episode titles like: "The Choad Less Traveled" feel like the title to a movie Gunn would have written back in his Troma days.

I also love how he has such a talent for taking B to D list characters from just about any comic book property and making his own versions of them that you can easily care about despite them being messed up, heavily-flawed people. Like, Vigilante is legit my favorite character in the series so far, and probably the entire DCEU, and he's an awful person, but it's also so easy to like him despite all of that.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, Vigilante's a special guy. It's easy to like him even though he murdered two innocent kids just an episode ago because he's basically a barely-functioning monster in a human suit who at least has some standards, even if they're low bars.

Dr. Insomniac

Wasn't actually expecting Peacemaker's dad to put on the costume, but I dig it. He looks like he came out of a Power Rangers episode, and I mean that as a compliment.

And this is like the third time Gunn's used the body snatchers trope, right?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The remake from the 70's is one of his all-time favorite horror movies, so it's no surprise.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think it's safe to say that this show is my favorite DCEU-related thing to come out so far, easily my favorite live-action superhero show (Daredevil gets edged out by just a bit due to a messy second season), and probably in my top five overall when including some of the animated shows. I absolutely loved the finale.

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
Miller and Momoa showing up was a shock.
[close]