DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I agree about that. The flashbacks have been more interesting this season than they have been beforehand, which I'm totally for.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The latest episode of The Flash was INCREDIBLE. I can't believe how fast this show is quickly gaining its footing. I complained about villain deaths before, but the way they did it here was simply perfect as far as characters and story go. Not to mention, a killer usage of Clock King and the supporting characters. This show is really coming together.

Not to mention this week we get THE crossover.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yep, this is Flarrow week. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Who's ready for part 1 of the Flash/Arrow crossover event tonight? I know I am. I imagine that it would be the equivalent of the Buffy/Angel crossovers from back in the day, except I never got to experience those as they were happening. There's a certain excitement to getting the opportunity to do that here.

Spark Of Spirit

That was awesome. It was actually quite impressive how Oliver and Diggle fit in with The Flash universe while still remaining themselves. Angry Barry was also quite a terror to behold, though, I have to admit I was disappointed we didn't get see Arrow and Flash take the villain down after all that. At least it lead to a funny joke at the end.

Also, Oliver is the first person to realize something about the doc ain't quite right. Shame he didn't look into it further.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Captain Boomerang has made his appearance... and he was actually done well!

I have to say, the Arrow and Flash teams work very well together. I hope there are more crossovers in the future.

Avaitor

Oliver and Barry really do work well. Barry has a sense of love for what he does that translates well across the game, an energy that Ollie never really had the chance to express. Together, they mesh wonderfully.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Overall, it was a great 2-part cross-over. Here are my thoughts:

Part 1: Flash vs. Arrow- The chemistry between Barry and Ollie was great. I love the approach of Ollie mentoring Barry in this episode, since he's been at the superhero gig for far longer, and takes a far more serious approach to how he deals with this job. Both of these episodes had a connecting theme of the two heroes influencing each other in necessary ways to improve each other. It's highly appropriate that in the Flash part of this cross-over, it's Ollie who helps Barry improve as a character. True, we barely got to see them fight the villain, but that was never the point of this episode. He literally was just an afterthought, and an excuse to get them to team up. It was really about the developing alliance, trust, and friendship between these two characters. On top of all of that, we got a great payoff to that scene from Arrow season 2 where we found out that Ollie got a woman pregnant and his mother paid her off to move to Central City and raise her child there. We got confirmation that his son is alive and well, and I have no doubt that this will come back in future seasons if the show has a long and healthy run. In addition to that, I really like how Ollie was the first real person to notice that there's something strange about Harrison Wells. It makes sense due to his deductive nature, accumulated experience, and lack of trust for people in general.

Part 2: The Brave and the Bold- Just like how the Flash portion of the crossover was about some of Ollie's experience rubbing off on Barry, we get to see him return the favor in this episode by showing Ollie that his path doesn't need to be as dark as it is. Ollie realizes here that, despite his lighter attitude, Barry still takes his job as a superhero just as seriously as he does. The difference is that due to not being brought up to his status in the twisted way that Ollie was, he has a more clear-headed outlook on how to deal with crime, and therefore will always find another way to overcome a situation without resorting to violence unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, since it was done in the style of an Arrow episode, we did get a lot more focus on the villain this time, and Captain Boomerang was a really good threat that seemed like he was a big enough deal to require the team-up. The only thing that this episode was really missing for me was an appearance of Ray Palmer, which would have been nice with all of the superhero action going on, but I'm willing to bet that in the back-half of this season of Arrow, we'll be getting a full-blown superhero crossover.

Here's what I'm predicting will happen by the end of either season (but most likely on Arrow). We'll get a crossover featuring: Green Arrow, The Flash, Arsenal, Black Canary (Laurel), Wildcat, Firestorm, and Atom. Now just how bad-ass will that be? I mean, no, that crossover itself has not been confirmed, but all of these characters have definitely been confirmed to appear in either show, and it's only inevitable that we finally get our mini-Justice League episode, isn't it? ;)

Also, Deathstroke was confirmed to be returning for the second half of this season of Arrow. So yeah, awesomeness is guaranteed.

Spark Of Spirit

A potential worry about Roy Harper.

If Young Justice showed us anything, it's the two different path the character goes down. I really hope they continue him down the Red Arrow path and stay WAY off the Arsenal path. Arsenal in the comics was a horrible idea and has lead to nothing good and many never-ending jokes near the level of Hank Pym. Red Arrow, even at his worst, is a much better character and more worthy of this show.

I know it's just a codename, and most likely just a nod, but I really hope they don't go down that way.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have no idea what his comic book counterpart is like, but I like the way that they've been handling Roy's character in this show just fine, at least so far. I'm not worried, personally. This show has gotten better with each season. It went from being a just OK show to being a legitimately good and solid show to, IMO, being a great show with this season, so far. So, I have the utmost confidence that these writers understand the process of how to keep the quality of this show up, and given their current momentum, I don't see them faltering any time soon.

Also, the fact that Roy is currently going through so much guilt for the innocent police officer that he killed while he was under the influence of the MIRAKURU shows me that this character's heart is in the right place, so far as this show goes.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 04, 2014, 07:38:36 PM
I have no idea what his comic book counterpart is like, but I like the way that they've been handling Roy's character in this show just fine, at least so far. I'm not worried, personally. This show has gotten better with each season. It went from being a just OK show to being a legitimately good and solid show to, IMO, being a great show with this season, so far. So, I have the utmost confidence that these writers understand the process of how to keep the quality of this show up, and given their current momentum, I don't see them faltering any time soon.
Oh, I don't think they'll do it, it's just a worry in the back of my head. I like Roy Harper as a character, but the comic industry ruined him with Arsenal and seem incapable of letting him go. If there's one thing I hope the show will continue to avoid, it's that whole awful character.

And judging from the direction of the show and how they've dealt with it, they probably will avoid it.

It's just one of those nagging worries you get sometimes. Like hoping a new Batman show doesn't use Jason Todd as Robin.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love Batman as much as the next person, but would it be asking too much to get a Nightwing show? Batman has had plenty of time in the spotlight. Let's give another member of the Batman family a time to shine with his own solo show.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been hoping for a bat show that takes place later in his career with Jason Todd already dead or the Red Hood, Dick Grayson as Nightwing, and Tim Drake as the new Robin.

Anything other than yet another Year Zero show.

Spark Of Spirit

Anyone want to take a stab at guessing what exactly is going on?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I smell a time-travel plot. :sly: