Super Mario Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 13, 2011, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

You gotta stop re-uploading your levels. I keep losing track of which ones I already played before.

I uploaded a new level, by the way. I hope this one is well-received because it was kind of hard to puzzle out at first.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Same deal as my post in the Sonic thread. Top ten Mario themes with only one track per game taken. I'll only be focusing on the platformers to make this more difficult.

Spoiler
Super Mario Bros. - 1-1

Iconic for a reason, this tune is probably the most famous in all of video games next to the Pac-Man theme and the Legend of Zelda main theme. It's bouncy and chipper for a platformer and set the standard for what was to come. But it's not my favorite in the series.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario Land - Muda Kingdom

Probably my favorite Mario track that is never used. It's typical Mario bounciness, but with a bit of a sad vibe to it. It's the best theme in the Land series, and I really wish it would be used again.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario Sunshine - Ricco Harbor

Sunshine was easily my least favorite 3D Mario, but this track epitomizes everything I enjoy about Mario. Catchy groove, perfect atmosphere, and it makes for a good Smash Bros track. I'm glad this tune hasn't been forgotten about even if Sunshine is pretty well ignored these days.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Overworld

Count this as a Mario game or not, I don't care, it has the Mario feel. It has the ragtime rush and the fast pace feel. This theme is played all the time in SMB2 and it never gets old. That says a lot about how great it is.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario 3D World - Double Cherry Pass

So catchy and cheerful. They really nailed the classic Mario vibe with this track. SM3DW is very underrated in general, though. It does pretty much everything perfectly and the soundtrack is no exception.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy

I'm not against orchestral themes in games. My problem is that they rarely sound like video game themes. The Galaxy series is an exception to that. Gusty Garden not only sounds like Mario, it utilizes all that great elements and instrumentation of classic orchestral music to make it work. If modern gaming soundtracks sounded like this, I think less people would have a problem with them.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario 64 - Bomb-omb Battlefield

I like a few tracks in this game a deal, but it's the main theme that stands tall above the rest. There's a reason it was remixed as Throwback Galaxy in SMG2. Though I wasn't a fan of SM64 for a lot of reasons, I think the music was one of the things that made the transition to 3D perfectly. In my opinion, for the 3D games this is basically 1-1.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario World - Athletic Theme

One of those tunes that buries itself into your brain and won't leave. This pretty well epitomizes the ragtime feel of Mario soundtracks. For fast pace courses, there are few themes better in the Mario series.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Yoshi Star Galaxy

This might seem like an odd pick, but it really is that good. It has the feel of all the best 3D game soundtracks like the exploration, orchestration, and celebratory feel, and the old school bouncy feel of 2D Mario games. It's easily the best track in any of the 3D games, no question. Koji Kondo still has it.
[close]

Spoiler
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Above Ground

This is my favorite 1-1 track in the series. Perfectly bouncy and catchy, this is the theme I always think of when I think Super Mario Bros. and it's one I never get sick of. Easily my favorite track in the series.
[close]

What about you?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Yoshi's Island final boss, Star Maze in Super Mario Land 2..and a bunch of obvious, iconic tunes.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

I wonder what's the reason. Nintendo wanting a newer voice, health issues?

Daikun

Daikun