Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 22, 2015, 10:06:32 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2015, 08:53:45 PMRising was a fluke. It would have ended up like Lords of Shadow if it wasn't Platinum. Dull, slow, and quickly forgotten.

If the game was good BECAUSE of who it was made by rather than by chance, then by definition it's not a fluke. :humhumhum:
Platinum getting the game at all was a fluke.

I'm sure there were people at Konami dedicated to getting it into the hands of a sure-fire hitmaker like Spark Unlimited. We all know those D-tier NA devs are better choices than A-tier Japanese devs. Just look at the Silent Hill franchise. Such a well managed series with so many hit titles.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2015, 10:10:19 PM

I'm sure there were people at Konami dedicated to getting it into the hands of a sure-fire hitmaker like Spark Unlimited.
:D :D :D :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From what I heard, Kojima personally decided to hand the game over to PG when he saw how horrible the development was going in-house. That means that Platinum developing the game was a conscious choice that he made, which I don't see as a fluke.

Spark Of Spirit

I see your point.

Shame Silent Hill, Contra, and Castlevania, didn't have the chances Metal Gear got because the only developer they listened to there was Kojima. Well, not anymore, I guess. Now Metal Gear no longer has that protection.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not sure why even greedy company executives would push for outsourcing their games to third-rate Western developers with mediocre to bad track records. Even as pure businessmen, that's bad business. Yes, it's significantly cheaper to contract these sorts of developers, but with bad developers comes a bad product, which usually means poor sales (mediocre at best), and also comes at the additional cost of hurting their brand's image both short-term and long-term (if they keep that sort of business practice up).

talonmalon333

Konami could sell Metal Gear to Platinum and let them make Raiden games from here on out. I can't see much else being done with the brand beyond that.

Or we could just let Metal Gear end with dignity.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 23, 2015, 09:58:15 AM
Konami could sell Metal Gear to Platinum
That won't happen. Platinum isn't anywhere near big enough to afford it.

Konami, being hogs, will just keep it locked up like they did with Hudson's properties and never let them see the light of day again.

talonmalon333

In that case, perhaps it can rest in peace. Not like there's any story left to tell, anyway.

talonmalon333

Also, this could have been awesome if Kojima was stil around.

http://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-the-boss-rising-revengeance-sequel/

https://www.vg247.com/2011/12/14/mgs5-the-boss-cobras-one-of-several-ideas-says-kojima/

Quote"We've talked previously about a game featuring The Boss as a main character. This is something I'd really love to make."

Quote"I had several ideas for a game featuring The Boss and the Cobra Unit during the invasion of Normandy. I then handed these plans over to the team so they could take over and make the game."

That could have worked if Kojima was still here to make a sixth numerical entry. But, well, we see what's happened now...

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

That should have been in the actual game.

Foggle

MGS5 cost $80 million to make.

Konami decided to not let them finish the game, cancel Silent Hills, and destroy KojiPro because it was "too expensive."

MGS5 made $179 million on day 1.

Great job, Konami!

gunswordfist

Pfftt, only double in one day? - Konami exec.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

talonmalon333

He's got to pay the bills somehow, now that Konami isn't making games about him.