Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

The NES port is an okay game until you play the MSX version. Then you realize just how bad it is...

gunswordfist

Just like how Once Upon A Time In Mexico compares to Desperado.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I guess that answers whether I should see Once Upon A Time In Mexico or not.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

It might just be me. IDK,  :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was literally just about to re-watch Desperado tonight before actually coming on here and seeing you guys mentioning it. No joke. Clearly this is a sign that I should definitely re-watch it. :thumbup:

Daikun

Metal Gear for the NES isn't necessarily a bad game. It's just a bad port.

If you like a good challenge, the NES version is considerably harder than the MSX version.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 06, 2015, 09:13:56 PM
I was literally just about to re-watch Desperado tonight before actually coming on here and seeing you guys mentioning it. No joke. Clearly this is a sign that I should definitely re-watch it. :thumbup:
I fucking love that movie. I was crazy about OUATIM and was wondering why it's hype was nowhere near Desperado's, then I found out why. To be fair, it's been awhile, though and now I want to rewatch the sequel. Maybe even El Mariachi too.
Quote from: Daikun on April 06, 2015, 09:26:57 PM
Metal Gear for the NES isn't necessarily a bad game. It's just a bad port.

If you like a good challenge, the NES version is considerably harder than the MSX version.
I'll try both. This also reminds me that I have no clue what the hell a MSX is (or Turbografx-16)  :sweat:

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 06, 2015, 09:44:09 PMI'll try both. This also reminds me that I have no clue what the hell a MSX is (or Turbografx-16)  :sweat:

It's a video game console that was barely available in the U.S.

If you want to play the MSX version of Metal Gear, there are two ways to get it:

1) Buy MGS3: Subsistence for the PS2. It's on the second disc.
2) Buy the Legacy Collection for the PS3, which has all the Metal Gear games on it.

gunswordfist

Foggle

The MSX games are also available as part of the MGS HD Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360.

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

I don't think the original Metal Gear holds up particularly well, so I don't see myself ever bothering with the NES port.

Foggle

I actually really like the original Metal Gear. It has a couple of stupid puzzles that all but require a walkthrough to decipher (a common occurrence in that era of games), but I think it's still quite fun overall. Also, Metal Gear 2 for MSX is probably my third favorite game in the series.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 07, 2015, 01:15:26 AM
I actually really like the original Metal Gear. It has a couple of stupid puzzles that all but require a walkthrough to decipher (a common occurrence in that era of games), but I think it's still quite fun overall. Also, Metal Gear 2 for MSX is probably my third favorite game in the series.

In addition to the puzzles, I also thought the stealth gameplay in it is just a bit too archaic. 2 was one of the quickest sequel upgrades I've seen.

Also, 2 is third to which games? I imagine MGS3 is one of them.

EDIT:

Speaking of MGS3, I do think it's worth nothing that game also doesn't contain the Metal Gear robot. However, unlike Metal Gear NES, it actually makes sense here.

gunswordfist

Do you mean a specific Metal Gear (the original?) because MGS3 definitely has a Metal Gear.