Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

MGS3 and MGRR are my favorites.

Metal Gear itself isn't in MGS3, but something very similar is.

talonmalon333

I think it's called Shagohad or something similar. That spelling is probably wrong, though.

gunswordfist

Oh. :srs:

The best Metal Gear games are 4 and 3, in that order.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I'd go with MGS3 by a clear lead, followed by 1.

gunswordfist

Still need to play 1.

talonmalon333

Speaking of MGS2, what do you guys think of this MGS2 analysis?

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

The funny thing is, in spite of the issues I take to MGS2, the article does make some valid points. The game does address things that it deserves credit for. And it doesn't try to be the serious game that MGS1 was people believed MGS1 was. The game intentionally played with people's expectations, and that all started when Raiden was revealed as the main character shortly before the game's release. And I think it's kind of unfair for people to label the game "pretentious" when Kojima tried to be a little more ambitious and address themes that are, in many ways, relevant to our world.

The reason why MGS2 didn't totally work, I believe, is because of the execution. The cutscenes are far too long, and most of them amount to nothing more than  stiff codec sequences of one character explaining plot to the other. And for all the ideas Kojima tried to address, I applaud Kojima for not adhering to the typical cliches of games, but there is too much going on and too much to swallow.

Foggle

I'm pretty sure every MGS is serious, they just have lots of quirky humor too. That's Kojima's style!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 01:22:19 PM
I'm pretty sure every MGS is serious, they just have lots of quirky humor too. That's Kojima's style!

I meant that people too MGS1 more serious than it was meant to be, as if it were supposed to be realistic or something... You know, the game with giant anime robots, cyborg ninjas, psychics, and people who can transform into others. The series isn't realistic and wasn't meant to be, so I don't think it's totally fair when people criticize the sequels for their silly directions.

I think Kojima knew he was making absurdity when he introduced a vampire and an invincible girl with cheesy jazz music in MGS2. He's the type of guy who thinks outside the box when designing games.

Daikun

gunswordfist

What's with the SD font?

Daikun

SD?

EDIT: Oh, you mean Space Dandy? (That's what a comment said, anyway.) They look nothing alike.

One is more blocky, the other is smooth.

gunswordfist

They have similar sheen to me, dammit. >:( And it probably was my comment. ;)

Daikun

Foggle

Daxdiv