Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 17, 2015, 02:50:17 PM
Meh, Oblivion had horse armor DLC too.
Bethesda was a laughing stock for years because of that, though. That's why it's funny.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 17, 2015, 02:42:47 PM
Well, at least it's not actual useful weapons and armor that should've been unlockable in the game itself. They did that with MGRR, which is fucking abysmal. Horse armor is easier to ignore. Leave it to the idiots to waste money on that crap.
Yeah, that's just awful. DLC should only be entirely new levels and costumes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

An even worse case of badly using microtransactions was when Sega left one of the most useful weapons in Vanquish out of the XBOX360 version of the game (but PS3 owners got it), and instead released it as DLC for the version that XBOX owners got. I know that it's just a dollar, but that is such a ridiculously unfair business practice that I refuse to ever buy it on principle. That gun is actually extremely useful for playing the game on God Hard mode since it has infinite ammo (and you run out a lot on that difficulty). When I finally do get back to that game, I'll do that difficulty without the DLC gun, once again on principle.

Foggle

Hmm, I don't remember any weapon having infinite ammo. Are you sure it wasn't DLC for both versions?

Foggle

Oh, it's the laser cannon. That's definitely not in the PS3 version by default, and I don't think you can even buy it on PSN. It was pre-order exclusive, I believe.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 17, 2015, 12:45:33 PM
I read that if you play the PC version with a controller, you have to use the keyboard while fighting Psycho Mantis so he can't read your mind.

Actually, that's a pretty clever alternative to what's in the console version.

I also read that the staff frequency number 140.07 was removed in the PC version. Is that the number that you have to find on the back of the game case?

Foggle

Meryl's codec number is the one on the back of the CD case.

talonmalon333

Do you happen to remember what 140.07 was, then?

Foggle

talonmalon333

Thinking about it, I guess it doesn't matter considering Konami is dead and probably won't ever port anymore games. :bleh:

Foggle

Hey, they might. To mobile. :sly:

talonmalon333

By the way, in MGS4...

Spoiler
Didn't they reveal that the body Eva was dragging around in the third level was actually Solidus, not Big Boss? If so, why did she jump into the fire to save him?
[close]

Daikun

talonmalon333

I suppose it makes sense considering how big the game supposedly is.

talonmalon333

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 19, 2015, 01:59:53 PM
By the way, in MGS4...

Spoiler
Didn't they reveal that the body Eva was dragging around in the third level was actually Solidus, not Big Boss? If so, why did she jump into the fire to save him?
[close]
Either she didn't know or the writers didn't think it through particularly well.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 20, 2015, 10:16:36 AM
Also, how is MGS5?
Far and away the best stealth game I've ever played from a mechanical standpoint, as well as the longest (I'm not quite halfway done after 30 hours). That said, aside from Ground Zeroes, the level design fails to surpass other giants of the genre like Hitman: Blood Money, Deus Ex, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. There is also very little story, though at least it's surprisingly competent in terms of dialogue. Overall, it's easily the best Metal Gear game, but I think it would have been better had it been made up of 15 GZ-size bases to infiltrate (selectable from a menu) instead of an open world with 80 small bases, 15 medium ones, and 5 large ones. Plus, even I think it could use a few more cutscenes, and the Ground Zeroes mission being excised from the game to sell separately is downright shameful.