The Greatest Live-Action Movie Ever (Nomination Thread)

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 06, 2015, 11:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

My last four nominees:

Harakiri (1962)
Double Indemnity
The Rules of the Game
Chimes at Midnight

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Eh, what the hell.

The Apartment
Sunset Boulevard
Badlands
The Tree of Life
Pulp Fiction
Duck Soup
8 1/2
Whiplash
Before Sunrise
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

With Avaitor's picks, we have now reached the original maximum of 128 entries. In light of other forum members who are still capable of nominating material or those who may still want to add something in while they still can, I will raise the maximum limit of nominations to 160. In addition, I will now allow everyone to potentially nominate up to 20 films total. These will be the only extensions. Once 160 nominations have been reached, this thread will be closed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Rear Window
The Host
They Live
To Kill A Mockingbird

Just to avoid confusion with any other films that may share that name, I'm talking about the 2006 Korean film with "The Host." At first I was going to nominate Ip Man, but we already have a solid representation of martial arts films in this competition thanks to GSF, whereas we could always use another monster movie for some variety, IMO.

gunswordfist

Ip Man
Robocop
Starship Troopers

Edit: Thinking about making my last pick Rush Hour, Saving Private Ryan or Halloween.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I enjoy Rush Hour, I doubt that it'll make it past the first round because....well, Bret Ratner.

The other two have a chance, though.

Also, speaking of John Carpenter films, have you seen "They Live" yet, GSF?

gunswordfist

I have. Probably in my top 10 for scifi movies but not one of my favorite favorites. I'd nominate Escape From New York before it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's my second favorite Carpenter film, personally. After that is Big Trouble In Little China, then Escape From New York, then Halloween. I love them all, though.

In fact, screw it, I'm switching from Argo to They Live. That film is great, but JC films are so underrated outside of the core cult fanbase, so I want this one to get some more exposure.

gunswordfist

For me it's The Thing, Halloween, Big Trouble In Little China, Escape From New York and then They Live. I need to give the latter 3 a rewatch though.

Lord Il

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 08, 2015, 07:25:05 PM
For me it's The Thing, Halloween, Big Trouble In Little China, Escape From New York and then They Live. I need to give the latter 3 a rewatch though.
Oh god, yes! All good stuff.
How about John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness? That's another one that stands out for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still need to watch Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness, actually. I'll get around to them eventually.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Lord Il on March 08, 2015, 09:57:41 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on March 08, 2015, 07:25:05 PM
Oh god, yes! All good stuff.
How about John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness? That's another one that stands out for me.

I haven't seen it! I don't even know what it's about, for shame...
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2015, 10:18:41 PM
I still need to watch Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness, actually. I'll get around to them eventually.
I was just thinking about this one, during the post.

gunswordfist

Fuck it, I nominate Rush Hour. :bleh: I don't care if people hate on him for no good reason. :bleh: He directed Rush Hour 1, 2 and Prison Break. That's better than anything 99% of American directors have done in the last 17 years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wouldn't go that far, but I will say that I liked the first 2 Rush Hour movies, and I don't mind Chris Tucker that much in them. They are fun movies for what they are, though I'd say that Police Story is a better comedy and action movie than any Rush Hour film.

gunswordfist

I think Rush Hour is funnier (from what I remember) but Police story is of course the better action movie.