Video Game Disappointments

Started by talonmalon333, April 30, 2015, 02:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

SCIII had by far the stupidest single-player option of any fighting game ever. Who the fuck among the developers thought that it was a good idea to try and make a fighting game play like an RTS (a terrible one at that)? It's just flat-out bad.

Tower of Lost Souls isn't great, but at least it fits a fighting game. It's no Missions Mode or Weapons Master mode, but at least it makes more sense than CotS.

Also, the clothing damage thing didn't really bother me. At least it was something new that conceptually made sense for a fighting game (unlike CotS), and it didn't really affect gameplay nearly as much as it seemed. I'd take that flawed system with the better controls and less botched characters over the dull as hell gameplay of SCIII any day, personally.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2015, 06:58:18 PM
For what it's worth, I (sort of) did the same thing for NG2, which I made out to be a masterpiece when I first played it because I was so hyped for it. In reality it had a ton of flaws, which only became more apparent to me when I re-played it on harder difficulty settings. That said, I still think that it's a great game. Just far from being as good as NGB.

Would NG2 at all qualify for this thread? I actually didn't expect you to pick NG3 for this thread simply because, as much as I know you guys hated it, I thought you knew it would be bad months if not years before it was even released. :P

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wouldn't call NG2 a disappointment in the traditional sense of the word. It's just flawed and not as good as its predecessor, but still really good if you can look past that.

With NG3, I was more disappointed with the direction of the game in general. No, I didn't expect it to be good based on previews, but I did have hope that it could be good before any footage was released, and when I saw how badly Team Ninja had sold out when the game was finally revealed, it hit me hard, given how amazing NGB was and how great NG2 could be, which compared to those, this was such a fall in quality that it makes the transition from something like RE4 to RE5 look like nothing that bad in comparison. It'd be more like transitioning from RE4 to Operation Raccoon City.

talonmalon333

I forgot about Operation Raccoon City. I didn't even bother to play it, and I'm glad I made that choice. :P

By the way, is NG3: Razor's Edge any bit serviceable at all? I imagine I won't bother with it once I finally get to the 3D NG games in the near future, but I'm just curious.

talonmalon333

Actually, thinking about it, Twilight Princess was likely my most anticipated game of all time. However, I'm not sure how much it would fit this thread.

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nuts and Bolts was at least still a competently made game for what it was.

It's a disappointment to BK fans for sure, but I wouldn't consider it as being as big of a disappointment as if it actually did end up being a platformer...but failed miserably at being even a remotely good one.

That's why NG3 is so disappointing for me. It's a hack n' slash game in a series that was top of the line in the genre, yet NG3 itself is objectively one of the most incompetently designed games in the genre that I've ever played. It hurts way worse to see a series you love completely butcher what it was masterfully good at than to see it pull off another genre to at least enough decency to not be insultingly bad. Not to say that the latter isn't still a disappointment. It's just that one is clearly worse than the other.

Foggle

It's not a bad game, but that trailer was all we had to go on for over a year, and it certainly made it *look* like a platformer. I'd never been more hyped for a game in my life, and then the first 10 minutes took a shit all over my favorite genre and childhood memories. For me, and a lot of other kids who played Banjo 1 & 2 on the N64, that truly was among the biggest disappointments of all time, and not just in terms of gaming.

Daxdiv

I still wonder what the reaction to Nuts and Bolts would have been like if they didn't make it a Banjo-Kazooie game. I mean, I thought that the game was fine as it was, but it wasn't what I was expecting from a Banjo-Kazooie game. I felt like if N&B was a standalone franchise or something, it might have just been something that would have been praised, but vastly overlooked like the rest of Rare's Xbox output like Kameo or Viva Pinata.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Exactly. It might not have gone over that well, but as a game in and of itself, it would not have really been hated, either. The mistake wasn't with making the game. The mistake was with calling it Banjo-Kazooie.

gunswordfist

I could understand B&N being more disappointing since it might have had more hype than NG3, if not much more.

talonmalon333

At least they didn't call it "Banjo-Threeie". That probably would've made people even more disappointed.

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 03, 2015, 11:21:33 AM
Exactly. It might not have gone over that well, but as a game in and of itself, it would not have really been hated, either. The mistake wasn't with making the game. The mistake was with calling it Banjo-Kazooie.
I honestly think it could have been fine as a Banjo spin-off game if they didn't:
1) Misleadingly advertise it as a true sequel in the reveal trailer. The end of Banjo-Tooie blatantly said they were working on Banjo-Threeie, so what else could it have been?
2) Insult the 3D platformer genre and Rareware's legacy in the opening cutscene.
3) Wait 8 years between releases.

Also, according to Grant Kirkhope, no one at Rare even wanted to make N&B, but Microsoft wouldn't let them do a collectathon or any sort of platformer. I'm pretty sure they had already created a bunch of assets for such a project, so they just re-purposed them into N&B rather than waste them.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 03, 2015, 11:25:22 AM
I could understand B&N being more disappointing since it might have had more hype than NG3, if not much more.
I think the biggest disappointments just come from the games you're most attached to. For me it was definitely Nuts & Bolts, but since Ninja Gaiden is E-K's favorite game, it makes sense that it would be NG3 for him.