Hated Movies That You Legitimately Like

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 18, 2015, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It could have been done well played straight by Raimi, but he already had the rest of the film set up before Marvel forced that on him. Can you imagine the whole descent into madness and paranoia of Eddie Brock paired off next to the Sandman's story and his quest for redemption, Harry's letting go of the past and his father's legacy, and Peter dealing with the repercussions of the suit ruining his personal life? There is no way to fit that all in without it being more depressing than Batman Returns.

Thankfully Marvel seems to have learned a lot since then, but I still think Raimi pulled out a pretty good film despite what he was working up against with and managed to finish his story the way he wanted to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 19, 2015, 09:54:51 PM
I also hear that Pain & Gain is quite good!

Didn't that movie kill Mark Wahlberg's already very dead acting career? You know, after Max Payne and The Happening already sealed it in a coffin. Then Transformers 4 came along and buried it six feet underground.

The guy is still a successful producer, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 19, 2015, 10:00:45 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 19, 2015, 09:54:51 PM
I also hear that Pain & Gain is quite good!

Didn't that movie kill Mark Wahlberg's already very dead acting career? You know, after Max Payne and The Happening already sealed it in a coffin. Then Transformers 4 came along and buried it six feet underground.

The guy is still a successful producer, though.
I haven't seen a movie by the guy I wanted to see in quite a while now. No idea how he chooses his projects but I don't think he chooses well enough.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 19, 2015, 10:00:40 PM
There is no way to fit that all in without it being more depressing than Batman Returns.
But Batman Returns is hilarious! :o

I guess Marky Mark wasn't so funky after all...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought that The Fighter was a pretty good movie, but that one is really more about Christian Bale's character than Mark's. I also liked Mark Wahlberg in The Italian Job remake from about a decade ago, which I found to be a rather underrated movie, personally.

Avaitor

The Rock seems to be Michael Bay's Unbreakable- his kinda secret good movie.

I haven't seen either though, so I can't really comment.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bad Boys and The Rock are to Michael Bay what The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are to M. Night Shyamalan and what Stargate and Independence Day are to Roland Emmerich.  Many people consider the first two movies of each of these directors to be solid films despite how badly they each fucked up after that point.

Spark Of Spirit

I liked Signs. As flawed is it may be, it was the last time M. Night felt like he knew what he was doing.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 19, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 19, 2015, 05:02:02 PM
But I'd personally take Daredevil over any Spider-Man movie any day, but that's just me...
:shit:
I think I used to think that. I am afraid to watch Daredevil again though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 19, 2015, 10:04:11 PM

I guess Marky Mark wasn't so funky after all...
:D
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 19, 2015, 10:06:36 PM
I thought that The Fighter was a pretty good movie, but that one is really more about Christian Bale's character than Mark's. I also liked Mark Wahlberg in The Italian Job remake from about a decade ago, which I found to be a rather underrated movie, personally.
Walhberg's character is a billion times better than Bale's. Bale was just a jittery idiot in his brother's shadow. Wahlberg was also decent in The Departed...but then again this reminds me of how that movie's dialogue seems like it was written by a 15 year old attempting noir at times.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's the whole point of his character and arc, GSF. The story is clearly more about Bale's character's disgrace of the family, struggle with narcotic abuse, and battle for redemption. Mark Wahlberg's rise to being a champion is secondary to that, as evidenced by how he needs his brother to come through and train him in order to win his final battle.

You're not supposed to like Bale's character until the end. When I called him the real star of that movie, I was talking about his performance as an actor, which was brilliant, and went as far as to win him an Oscar for it.

Wahlberg's character is the likable guy that people cheer for. Bale's character is more interesting to follow, though, because people can identify more with personal struggle, especially that of a fallen person. Without that character and performance, the film would be nothing more than a cheap rip-off of Rocky.

gunswordfist

I see what you mean now. I personally didn't care for Bale's performance in that movie though. :D

gunswordfist

And I also liked him in Four Brothers. I think Walhberg would have been a decent Max Payne...if that movie didn't suck. I don't blame him for taking the role at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 20, 2015, 11:39:13 AM
I see what you mean now. I personally didn't care for Bale's performance in that movie though. :D

How exactly could he or anyone have played it better, though? I don't think that I've ever seen anyone play an addict and bum nearly as well as that in any other movie that I've seen.

gunswordfist

I don't know. I'm not an actor anymore.