E3 2015

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 18, 2015, 11:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

So I'm guessing these two are scalper fodder as well? *sigh* One of the few Amiibo I'd actually like to have.

Foggle

Apparently Sony is helping fund Shenmue 3 alongside the Kickstarter. That makes sense, since there's absolutely no way a game like that could be made on a budget of 2 million.

gunswordfist

Money is expensive.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Any chance DOOM is going to have exploration and puzzles or is it going to be nothing but firefights and cutscenes? I mean, I liked the shooting, it's classic DOOM modernized, but the level design shown was a bit disappointing as was the needless cinematic stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Exploration maybe, but probably not to the extent of the originals, and I doubt there will be anything resembling puzzles. I think the only FPS developer that still does puzzles is Valv-- oh wait, they don't make games anymore. :(

gunswordfist

All I've seen is shooting and a bit of exploration.

Spark Of Spirit

The climbing and double jump looks like it would be good for exploration, but they've barely been used in what's been shown so far.

Such a shame if they don't go all out with modernizing the classic formula. It's all the pieces that made DOOM fun, not just the hardcore action.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Very few FPS these days truly understand what made the classics work. One of them is the 2013 Shadow Warrior. It goes on sale frequently for PS4, and I highly recommend picking it up next time it does. :)

gunswordfist

Pretty much all Doom needs from modern gaming is aiming, jumping, more power and better graphics. Just about everything else would make it worse.

Rynnec

Id is trying to harken back to the old style as much as possible, so that gives a lot of hope for the exploration aspect of DOOM. But even if the main game turns out to be linear, there's always the map maker feature to make up for it.

gunswordfist

I take back what I said about people not overreacting to Nintendo's E3. Sounds like a lot were legit pissed and still are. That was nothing to be more than annoyed about for more than like an hour.

Foggle

Their conference was briefly disappointing for me, but getting legitimately mad over it? For days on end? Some people have way too much time on their hands.

gunswordfist

It seems to be just that. I wonder if people are getting too spoiled/entitled. A new Star Fox would have made people's head explode years ago, even if they heard it was coming. Nintendo keeps up with their IPs better than the other big 2 so that's probably why they didn't have much left to surprise gamers with. Sony (and Square) is doing now what they should have done years ago. Not that I'm complaining or suddenly not excited about what they did, though, just saying. ;D

Foggle

I mean, really, not much can compare to such heavy hitters as an FF7 remake, Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, the return of Rareware, Kingdom Hearts 3, Fallout 4, Doom 4, or even Nier 2. If Nintendo had heard rumblings of such announcements prior to E3, they may have decided to refocus their efforts and save the bigger Wii U games for later on to keep them from being overshadowed by everything else. And hell, they still showed a Platinum-developed Star Fox game and a new Mario RPG, along with the hilarious puppets and Yarn Yoshi lady's immense pathos. This wasn't even a drop in the bucket compared to Sony's 2006, Microsoft's 2013, or their very own 2008 conference.

Spark Of Spirit

Nintendo 2008 was hot garbage. It was easily their worst conference ever with the most "core" game announcement being Animal Crossing Wii. Nothing against that series, but if that was their most core game you can see people hating it. Also doesn't help that the Animal Crossing game was apparently a disappointment.

This time their only problem was no heavy hitter new announcements. But Reggie saying that Nintendo basically uses E3 to promote things coming out in the year of and the first half of the following year, it makes sense. Retro, Next Level's Wii U game, EAD, and Monster, have games that simply aren't coming out in that period. On the other hand, they had Zelda Wii U footage they could have shown but didn't. That was a mistake, in my opinion.

It wasn't horrible, though. I see some people dogging on Star Fox Zero, Paper Jam, and Tri-Force Heroes, which perplexes me. Guarantee if it was a better E3, people would not be looking for reasons to talk them down.