Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I thought the first episode was all right.

Though it is funny a company led by a bald billionaire is producing 2 shows featuring an evil Superman ersatz. Expecting Amazon to produce an Irredeemable show or a Brightburn sequel at this rate.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Even though it's probably unintentional, it's funny how people will put this or Snyder's DCEU stuff on a pedestal for being some rebellious middle-finger to the evil corporate Disney's "cookie-cutter" Marvel films despite the fact that Amazon and AT&T are arguably just as shitty big evil corporations as Disney. Also, comments like that are kind of an unjustified slap in the face to people like James Gunn or Taika Waititi, IMO.

To be fair, Invincible, despite it's blood and gore being equivalent to that of The Boys isn't nearly as cynical. It's more like Robert Kirkman loves to dial up the violence but as a story it's much more of a love letter to superheroes than an outright Watchmen-style deconstruction of them. I'd also argue Nolan is a better "evil" Superman than Homelander since his motives and character have an element of nuance to them as the series progresses. Homelander has the benefit of being played by Antony Starr in the show, who's acting is pretty great and adds to the character, but from a writing perspective he comes off as a one-dimensional extremist right-wing allegory.

For me the story in Invincible really hooked me with Thraxa arc and onward.

Avaitor

I feel like I'm late to the party- it seems like the show had peaked in admiration around the time the show won big at the Emmys- but I got around to watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

It's funny, I couldn't really stomach what I've seen of Gilmore Girls, but I like Amy Sherman-Palladino's writing better for this. At least in the first season, but watching all three seasons in close-ish proximity (I tend to take breaks between seasons) does show why the critical reception has fallen over the years.

Especially in the last season, when the show never seems to know what it wants to do, and drops interesting plot points left and right. Like how Susie has a gambling addiction and blows all of Midge's earnings in a bad bet. This could have led to a big blowout to lead into the next season... but no, she's going to make most of that money back thanks to an insurance scam. Midge never even finds out. It also falls flat when it tries to be feminist or socially conscious, like the crew is on board with progressive themes, but doesn't know how to articulate them.

And the character writing is showing its flaws. Susie is the best, and a big part of that comes from Alex Borstein's killer performance. Sherman-Palladino likes Midge a little too much, and only occasionally brings up how selfish she is. And even then, it's only brought up when a character is meant to seem even more unlikable, like her mother Rose suggesting that it's Midge's fault that she's become discontent with her life. None of the parents really work all that well as characters, IMO- my least favorite material usually focuses on them, especially Midge's. Joel's are at least enjoyably neurotic and intentionally suffocating. Joel actually got some decent development in the most recent season, but he's still hardly a favorite. And while I like Luke Kirby's take on Lenny Bruce, I always find it icky when a fictional story adds a real person like him in, especially when the person involved has a tragic ending like Bruce did.

But hey, it can be funny. And Sepinwall brings up a good point that it's a better directed show than written, even though Sherman-Palladino is better known for her dialogue. It looks really damn nice. But I don't think that I'll watch the fourth season whenever it comes out.

Now, I'm thinking of getting Apple+ and trying out a few of their series, including this Ted Lasso series I keep hearing about. It's funny how this seemed like one of the most superfluous streaming services, but it's really starting to add up a noteworthy library of original content.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I don't get Ted Lasso. I'm three episodes in, and I don't understand the hype.

Dr. Insomniac

Now I've been watching Inside No. 9. And while I haven't watched it all yet, I think this show's one of the best anthology series of all time. It's so shocking how much variety this show can find from locking a few actors in a set together and driving them insane with plot twist after plot twist. Sometimes hilarious, often times horrifying. If I have to recommend at least one episode for you guys to watch, find one called "The Devil of Christmas". The ending will haunt you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Watched all of Squid Game. It's like a combination of Kaiji and Battle Royale, which is really entertaining for the most part. I do feel like the behind-the-scenes plot of the people running the games is considerably less interesting, and it comes off as a bit pretentious when it's trying to get too heavy-handed with it's themes, but the core aspect of the show itself is undeniably entertaining. It also helps that Gi-hun is a flawed but likeable lead.

GregX

I just started "Succession". Three episodes in and so far, so good.

Avaitor

Do you have a favorite character?

I love how fucked up Roman is, personally, but I also admire Shiv's moxy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

GregX

Quote from: Avaitor on October 19, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

So far, I'm really enjoying Roman the most. Five episodes in, stopped at the Thanksgiving episode. Bryan Cox is always magnetic, though.

Not as evil as my extended family, though. LOL

GregX

Quote from: GregX on October 19, 2021, 08:37:29 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on October 19, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

So far, I'm really enjoying Roman the most. Five episodes in, stopped at the Thanksgiving episode. Bryan Cox is always magnetic, though.

Not as evil as my extended family, though. LOL

Completely up to date and while Roman is still in the lead, the dynamic duo of Tom and Greg might be behind by a hair.

Avaitor

Greg had me dying in the last episode. The little shit wanted to sue Greenpeace! What?

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Started Succession too. I watched half of the first episode a year ago but stopped for some reason, but I'm liking it so far. Didn't notice Will Ferrell produced the show though. That was surprising. What isn't surprising is the show's one Ron Howard away from being an Arrested Development remake.

Avaitor

Ah yeah, I think that was one of the last things Ferrell and McKay produced before dissolving their partnership. I'm not sure how well McKay's more serious turn as a director has gone so far, since Vice was ass, but I do really like The Big Short. And it's because of that film that Jeremy Strong was casted as Kendell, so good for that!

Is anyone watching this season of Curb? I've been enjoying it, but I didn't love the last episode as much. I think a big part of why is because Susie and Leon were barely in it, and they've consistently been the best at improv since the show came back. Jeff Garlin's been picking back up, but I thought he was a little flat in the first couple of post-hiatus seasons, probably because he's been used to family sitcom mediocrity over the past few years. And Larry is Larry, often funny but never the MVP of the cast.

Also, I'll just come out and say it, but Vince Vaughan is no Bob Eisenstein.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, Funkhouser's absence is all too noticeable. I think Jon Hamm's the best out of the new cast additions, wish he showed up more often.

Avaitor

Didn't love the Sunny premiere eps. The second especially feels like one of those think pieces lamenting how millennials don't understand comedy that you'd see all the time a couple of years ago, with little of the wit that makes the show at its best shine.

New blog!