Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Malcolm in the Middle becomes retroactively funnier after watching Breaking Bad. All of Hal's antics can be interpreted as Walt becoming a little too crazy from the meth lab.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm watching the first episode of Life With Lucy. You know what it's like to go to the retirement home and see your grandma that you loved when you were a kid, but now she's senile and it's just kind of uncomfortable and heartcrushing to talk to her? That's what this show is like.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 27, 2012, 10:18:01 PM
Life With Lucy
Wut.

*5 seconds of Google later*

holy fucking shit why is this a thing

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2012, 10:27:31 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 27, 2012, 10:18:01 PM
Life With Lucy
Wut.

*5 seconds of Google later*

holy fucking shit why is this a thing
She wanted to stay relevant, which she probably could've done by playing a Golden Girl instead of this.

Avaitor

Yeah, this was so bad that after it got swept under the rug, Lucy went into self-imposed retirement until she died.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I'm still watching some Star Trek in between Breaking Bad, and I just started a little of TNG.

While the Borg are really cool and I love seeing Xanatos in action, I think I prefer the original. Maybe it's because I've just grown to love Kirk, Spock and Bones.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just started watching Bordwalk Empire from the season 1 DVD set. I'm 2 episodes in so far and its a damn good show. To be honest, I can't get into most HBO shows for some reason, but I love almost anything directed or produced by Martin Scorsese, and this show so far is certainly no exception. I do wonder if the show can maintain this level of quality over numerous episodes, though, but given its positive reviews I'm sure that it does, somehow.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 01, 2012, 06:31:36 PM
I just started watching Bordwalk Empire from the season 1 DVD set. I'm 2 episodes in so far and its a damn good show. To be honest, I can't get into most HBO shows for some reason, but I love almost anything directed or produced by Martin Scorsese, and this show so far is certainly no exception. I do wonder if the show can maintain this level of quality over numerous episodes, though, but given its positive reviews I'm sure that it does, somehow.
Does that mean what I think it means? :srs:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 01, 2012, 06:37:51 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 01, 2012, 06:31:36 PM
Does that mean what I think it means? :srs:

I haven't actually seen The Wire yet, so cool down. :D

I will say that I can't get the appeal of Game of Thrones, though. Yeah, I really tried to get into it, and it seemed like my sort of show, but I just get bored by it, honestly.

Avaitor

Aww.

Well, I've only read the first book, which I loved.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't ever read any of the books from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, so my opinion doesn't extend to those. I just couldn't get into the show, which is a shame because by all accounts I should really like it but for whatever reason which I can't entirely explain myself, I just don't find it all that interesting, personally.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 01, 2012, 07:05:28 PM
I haven't ever ready any of the books from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, so my opinion doesn't extend to those. I just couldn't get into the show, which is a shame because by all accounts I should really like it but for whatever reason which I can't entirely explain myself, I just don't find it all that interesting, personally.
Was it the incest or how half the cast were awful pricks?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hate incest, but that's something that can occasionally lead to interesting fiction, like in Oedipus....which is currently the only example I can think of in that regard, so yes I hate incest, especially in shows that think they are being smart about it but instead just come off like they have a strange fetish for it.

That said, that's not really much of a problem I have with the show. I can also deal with pricks in a cast if the story still has interesting and 3-dimensional characters. Like I said, my problem is that I just find it all rather boring. I'm not entirely sure why, but something about the show just doesn't click with me when I'm watching it, and I can't find myself to actually care enough about what's going on at any given moment. I suppose its one of those things that just doesn't work for me, personally. I can respect it well enough as a good show as it has clearly garnered a huge fan following and a lot of critical acclaim, but its just not for me.

Dr. Insomniac

And speaking of HBO shows, I watched a little of The Newsroom. It's crisp and well-acted, but comes with the characters giving out overwrought speeches about how America sucks. I mean, it makes sense, given that it's a show about the news. But still, subtlety is not this show's virtue.

Also, the main character seems to despise everything with a vagina, and gets patted on the back for it.

Peanutbutter

Saw a preview of Revolution's pilot on On Demand. So far, I liked it. Some nice action and the story so far is interesting. The actor that plays the son isn't very good, but the daughter is passable enough, and Uncle Miles seems like a cool character. Depending on how the plot turns out, he may end up carrying the show. But overall, the first episode is good.

Also caught Matthew Perry's sitcom Go On and found it to be surprisingly funny.  I'll say more about when I see more episodes.