Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Man, they did such a good job of building up Spike to be the ultimate bad-ass among vampires that I was a bit disappointed when he actually fought with Buffy and she was able to hold her own against him for the most part. I mean, he did pretty much have her beat at one point until her mother saved her, but he actually had exert effort to get her to that point. Maybe I've been spoiled by too much anime logic, but I was expecting a total one-sided beat down forcing Buffy to realize that she's no match for the guy, but I guess its saying a lot that he is pretty much the only vampire thus far who has fought Buffy on equal footing (The Master doesn't really count as all he did was catch her from behind). At any rate, Spike is definitely the most interesting villain that has appeared in the series thus far. I also give him tons of bonus points for literally frying that little brat (The Anointed One) to nothing in sunlight. He was shaping up to be a completely boring and nonthreatening villain, anyways.

Avaitor

That's one of the greatest early twists of all time. With the Anointed One, you were expecting another dry and sedated Big Bad like The Master for the season. Spike and Dru just show up and take over the operation like it's no big deal, and have the show make a turn for the better.

That's not the only major surprise in this season. You're only just getting into it all now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Oh! Oh!

EK, while you still have Netflix, there is one show that you absolutely MUST watch. If you don't, you'll be living life in the DANGA ZONE.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I completely forgot that Archer is on Netflix. I don't know if I'll still have Netflix by next month (it depends on whether my mom decides to cancel it or not), but if I do then I'll get to that series after I finish Buffy/Angel. And if I somehow still miraculously have Netflix after I catch up with Archer, then I'll finally get around to seeing Dr. Who. :sly:

Avaitor

Well that sounds like a big investment, bro. If you just stick to the '05 Doctor Who series, you'll have over 300 episodes across the board to watch all in the span of a month or so (although the last season of Archer and the first few episodes of the most recent DW series that have aired aren't on yet, so you'll have to settle for finding places to watch them elsewhere).

Are you up for it?

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hence why I said "IF" I still have Netflix for that long. I don't really know when my mom plans to cancel it.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 23, 2012, 03:45:31 PM
I completely forgot that Archer is on Netflix. I don't know if I'll still have Netflix by next month (it depends on whether my mom decides to cancel it or not), but if I do then I'll get to that series after I finish Buffy/Angel. And if I somehow still miraculously have Netflix after I catch up with Archer, then I'll finally get around to seeing Dr. Who. :sly:
:imnothappy:

Avaitor

Archer only has 36 episodes (23 on Netflix), and Doctor Who '05 is up in the 80's. I don't see why it'd be a problem to start on the show with a lower episode count.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched the episode "Passion" and I just have to say....damn, I didn't expect a well-established character to be killed off like that by another well-established character (who was one of the good guys for most of the series up to this point). Of course murder is always a great way to get people all the more hooked. :D

Avaitor

To me, that's the episode where shit got real. While Joss started testing with the lives and probablities of the cast beginning with "Innocence", this is officially when you knew that no one is safe.

And it's also when Joss began his major kick for killing off main characters. And I'm sure you're familiar with that, haven seen Serenity and The Avengers. ;)

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, with Avengers, Agent Coulson was always a supporting character in the movies he had appeared in up until then, inlcuding in The Avengers so his death wasn't necessarily a major shocker. However, characters like Ms. Calendar and Wash, while still technically supporting characters, were certainly more integral parts of the supporting cast of their respective series (well, only for the first 2 seasons with Ms. Calendar), so seeing them go certainly has a lot more weight and impact to it.

Avaitor

True, Coulson was merely a supporting character and overall just a casualty of war, while Jenny, Wash and Book were more important characters to their franchises.

But try telling the fangirls that. :P

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

inb4 "Coulson was a Mary Sue".

Well, if Passion shook things up, you'll love the season finale.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Looks like my mom finally remembered to cancel her Netflix subscription....so no more Buffy. :(

Anyways, I ended up getting half-way through season 3, so I definitely at least want to finish up that season. Maybe I can rent the rest of the season elsewhere when I get the chance.

Dr. Insomniac