Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No-Personality

I'm on season 7 of The Office and, just watched The Seminar episode and thought this was interesting: the joke about Gabe picking movies for Movie Night that make Erin unhappy... 4 out of 5 of them were on my Top 100 Greatest (Contemporary) Horror Movies list.

Something unusual about the show though... Gabe picked a dud (The Ring) and, so did Erin / Andy (Shrek 2). So, I'm not sure what the point of the joke was.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Oh, so I finished Better Off Ted, and it's pretty much anything I could want in a single-camera sitcom. If only it lasted longer.

I started Mad Men yesterday, and it's okay so far. Breaking Bad had a slow start too, so I'm hoping for it to just get better.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on December 04, 2012, 12:36:27 PM
but what about the wire :shit:
Tell HBO to get the stick out of their butt and put their shows on Netflix.

New blog!

Kiddington

Better Off Ted was a pretty good show from what little I remember about it. Shame it didn't last.

Of course, if you're not Modern Family and raking in truckloads of Emmys every season, you're basically dogmeat to ABC at this point.

No-Personality

Better Off Ted has been in my Top 10 Netflix Recommended for months now. Don't know when I'll get the notion to check it out.

Netflix WI is still my only real TV source now. No commercials, it's great. Anyway, I tried the 1st ep of Bobby's World hoping for some nostalgia. 22 minutes and already an astronomical WTF: why did the cop pull the father over? It couldn't be speeding- the officer asks if the address on his license is current / actual. He would have had to be trailing them either because something (criminal) happened at their house or because the father or mother or both had been suspected of something for some time. Cops don't randomly pull over WHITE people (let alone families) just to check their driver's licenses.

Anyway, I finished season 1 of Jem and I'm hooked. The show is fucking INSANE! Sort of bad but, impossible to stop watching. Then, I started season 2 and... for the first 5 episodes, the show actually became great television. Unfortunately, episode 6 (the "Father's Day" themed one) started the show on a brand new dive back down to sort-of-badness. Most of season 1 envisioned the show as though Barbie had superpowers and was in a band, season 2, episode 6 and onward, has mostly been Scooby Doo. And Jem has really lightened up on the use of her super-computer god/goddess Synergy who channels hologram-inducing powers on command through Jem's earrings. Meanwhile, you're sitting there going: USE YOUR FUCKING EARRINGS, YOU IDIOT!!!
and I love it.

Dr. Insomniac

Okay, I'm getting Netflix after the world ends, so what are some good shows I've probably overlooked that are for free there? And yes, Avaitor. I'll watch Better Off Ted.

Avaitor

You'll find tons of British stuff on there, for one thing. And have you seen Mad Men yet? Since I'm digging it's dry wit thus far.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Saw the first episode a year ago, and I was impressed. It's been on the backburner though.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm digging it so far. But the Kristen Schaal appearance in the pilot caught me by surprise.

New blog!

No-Personality

Put Jem season 3 on hold to watch a little Garfield & Friends, which was newly added sometime last week (I'm guessing).

Also, I started 30 Rock, which I've never seen before. A REALLY rocky start for that show. Except for episode 3, the first 7 or so episodes are really average-at-best if not flat-out mediocre television with flat, cliched writing and boring characters. But, around episode 8 the show found a real groove of damn fine TV. I stopped at "The Hair and the Head," which has a hilarious ending (the "debut" of Gold Case). I will definitely be watching more.

Of course, I finished The Office (U.S.) and for awhile, I decided to go back to the UK series and... I can't believe I'm going to say this but, it's beyond cringe-inducing. I literally could not watch the screen for about 40-55% of a given episode. I got out of my chair and walked around the room a lot, even started dusting my walls (during the Birthday Party episode). I'll never go back. Well... maybe I will. Because... Ricky Gervais is scorchingly hot. When I randomly Wiki'd him, probably to find out his age or something, it mentioned that he was a singer in the 80's. Then I Google'd him in the 80's and the pictures of the "thin" him are horrendous. The Neil character was sort of supposed to be the hunk of the show but even though he's more stereotypically handsome, he just can't compare to Gervais. Anyway, before I decided I was going to watch the entire US series, I had made up my mind that it was inferior to the UK series even though I obviously stuck with it for... some reason. I always thought it was going to get Great. And it did, in season 4. So, eventually, I believe every sorta U.S.'d redo of all the UK's characters turned out to be superior.

Well...

except one.

Are you ready for this? ... :

Gareth > Dwight

(Oh, fuck- I forgot about Keith. Kevin in the U.S. version was an entirely different character, only his body type was kept as a reminder that there was a "similar" character from the UK version. Keith is easily my favorite of the two, even if I love the half of the Niagara episode where Kevin gets Jim&Pam's credit card reported as stolen.)
and I love it.

Avaitor

Season 2 is by far the best of 30 Rock.

It's also the shortest. Take that as you will.

New blog!

Kiddington

I just can't get into 30 Rock. No matter how hard I try, it simply does nothing for me.

Avaitor

It's not as good as Parks, but I still feel like 30 Rock is underrated on this board. The earlier seasons, at least.

New blog!