Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

And that's how you do a TV show!

One down, four to go.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on December 16, 2012, 11:37:58 AMYeah, I do think one of the biggest problems with 30 Rock is how silly and just plain unsympathetic the characters can be sometimes. Or most of the time. Even in the most recent episode, when Jack's mom dies, he doesn't really seem to take it in any way other than as an attempt to one-up her with the best epitaph ever.

Parks still remains my favorite of the modern NBC shows since it can still be plenty silly, but there's also room for shades of depth and actual character development too.
Just finished 30 Rock (season...6?) and went back to re-watch about 6 or so episodes from the first season. And am shocked to be able to say about the first season in retrospect: I don't remember Liz and Jack getting along this well. Sometimes, I put myself in a character's position (which explains my INTENSE hatred for Tobias on Arrested Development) and all I see is how much it cripples the comedy when a relationship dynamic relies too heavily on one ultra petty or selfishly antagonistic person abusing another. This was what bothered me about Jack, shockingly rather than Jenna. Anyway, show's over and my only problems with it now are that Liz is one of the show's worst characters (but I actually appreciate what the writers use her for, what she represents; best example of which being the high school reunion episode- the ending to which was hysterical) and that the humor with Jack's politics isn't authentic. Or, to be specific, trying to make humor out of his politics makes him look like a showbiz believer in what he stands for. 2 steps away from being a sell-out. Same problem with Kenneth. The jokes he makes about hating women are freaking ridiculous, he is never anything but nice, accomodating, collaborative, and seems to inherently treat them as equals without thinking twice.

Looking at the whole show: Tracy Morgan is the best thing about the first few seasons, Jane Krakowski is the best thing about the later few seasons, Scott Adsit is the most likable person and his Pete the character the show didn't do enough with (maybe tied with Grizz Chapman), Kevin Brown had the smartest dialogue, Maulik Pancholy was the person who fascinated me the most, and I'd say Baldwin gave the best performance but he also seemed to fall back the most. His performance had the most repetitive arcs. For example- every time he cried for the sake of a joke, it felt the same. I also thought the show could've done more with Katrina Bowden. I especially liked the idea of her and Liz swapping identities through their clothes.

Preliminary awards = Favorite Liz boyfriend: Floyd. Best Liz boyfriend: Criss. Worst Liz boyfriend: Matt Damon. Worst guest stars: Salma Hayek & Matt Damon. Worst guest star accent: Julianne Moore. Best guest stars: Steve Buscemi & Oprah Winfrey. Cast member I least miss after they left: Lonny Ross. Cast member I'm most interested to see more in the next/latest season (the one that started a month or so ago): Sherri Shepherd. Hottest guy: Peter Hermann ("The Head and the Hair"). Sexiest woman: Elizabeth Banks. Best song: "Make a Pizza." Preliminary (not thinking very hard) pick for worst episode: either the one where Liz gets stuck on a plane with angry passengers or the one about leap day. Preliminary pick for best episode: the one where Liz won't sign Jack's divorce papers. Also... what the HELL happened to Denise Richards? Was her face crushed in a horrendous accident? She has. No. NOSE! Is she a Jackson or something?
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Pharass

Quote from: Foggle on January 20, 2013, 02:33:29 PM
Season 2 of The Wire has been just as good as the first so far! Albeit for different reasons.

From what I've read, season 2 tends to be the most polarizing season of the show. Personally, I'm firmly in the "like it immensely" camp. Frank Sobotka is one of my favorite characters and I always thought The Greek was a very under-appreciated villain.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on January 26, 2013, 06:55:52 PM
The jokes he makes about hating women are freaking ridiculous, he is never anything but nice, accomodating, collaborative, and seems to inherently treat them as equals without thinking twice.
Kenneth steps down from Tracy and Jenna sometimes, this last season in particular. In fact, one of the big twists in the recent episodes involves Kenneth reluctance to submit to one of their demands.

Quote from: No-Personality on January 26, 2013, 06:55:52 PMI also thought the show could've done more with Katrina Bowden. I especially liked the idea of her and Liz swapping identities through their clothes.
I loved her scene in this week's episode- "I actually quit 2 years ago". That explains the serious lack of Cerie lately.

Quote from: No-Personality on January 26, 2013, 06:55:52 PMBest guest stars: Steve Buscemi & Oprah Winfrey.
Add David Schwimmer in and I'll agree.

Well, as for what I'm watching, I just finished season 4 of M*A*S*H, and I must say, that was the best season yet! I really liked Henry Blake, but Potter was a very strong replacement. I appreciate how he's as fun as Blake can be, but more competent and considerably more stern when needed to be. Considering the bullshit that Hawkeye and Frank Burns can pull out at any given instant, it's a plus to be straight-faced at any given moment. Potter also works as a father figure to the rest of the crew, opposed to just Radar like Blake was.

BJ was another good addition to the show. I wasn't as crazy for Trapper John however (I can see why Wayne Rogers left- he's pretty one-note, and ends up being a side character to Hawkeye instead of his equal), but I did like him. Like Potter to Blake, BJ isn't too different from Trapper, but is where it counts. He's definitely more serious and earnest than Trapper, and can even work as a strong foil to Hawkeye.

One of my favorite scenes between the two is in the episode where Hawkeye's old fling comes back, and Hawk asks BJ about his loyalty to his wife.

"Ever checked in somewhere without a toothbrush?"
"Never."
"Never been tempted?"
"Tempted's another subject."
"Ah, you have been tempted."
"Never. But it's another subject."

Pretty much says it all between the two.

And what a way to end the season with "The Interview"! I really appreciate it when the show messes with its conventional style to tell its story, and the show did a great job here. I only wonder why Houlihan wasn't in this one, but I guess Loretta Swit doesn't improvise well.

As for The Wire, I did just watch the first 2 episodes of season 2, and I'm already loving it more than season 1.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Pharass on January 27, 2013, 04:00:17 AM
Quote from: Foggle on January 20, 2013, 02:33:29 PM
Season 2 of The Wire has been just as good as the first so far! Albeit for different reasons.

From what I've read, season 2 tends to be the most polarizing season of the show. Personally, I'm firmly in the "like it immensely" camp. Frank Sobotka is one of my favorite characters and I always thought The Greek was a very under-appreciated villain.
Yes, I love Frank! Season 2 has been excellent so far, dunno why it's so polarizing.

I just finished episode 7 and goddamn those last two installments tore my heart up.
Spoiler
D'Angelo was my favorite character in the first season. Fuck you Stringer. >:(
[close]

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 27, 2013, 01:01:49 PM
Quote from: No-Personality on January 26, 2013, 06:55:52 PMBest guest stars: Steve Buscemi & Oprah Winfrey.
Add David Schwimmer in and I'll agree.
Have to wait until Netflix gets the new season in to watch it.
and I love it.

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

Holy shit...... I did forget about him.

And, yes, his performance was pretty good (in spite of the fact that I didn't find the character very funny). I think I'll stick with Steve & Oprah though.
and I love it.

Avaitor

"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

Yep, season 5 still has it. ;)

New blog!

Avaitor

And that was 30 Rock.

The ending was... kinda meh, but that's what I've felt about the show, more or less, since season 5. It sucks to see it go, though.

Next up on the farewell list is Carell-less Office.

New blog!

No-Personality

and I love it.

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on January 31, 2013, 10:55:00 PM
They doing a 9th season?
Ninth and last. I think it's running until April.

I don't watch The Office, but last week's twist really caught my interest- at the end of the episode when Pam was crying, one of the cameramen came into the scene. You can't get more prophetic towards the show's end than that.

New blog!

No-Personality

Well, the 8th season had the distinction of turning to near-complete shit from episodes 2 to 6 and then around 8 to 11, maybe 12 or 13. I give a slight repreive to the Halloween-themed episode because Gabe's short film was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on that show. But, it took them a LONG time to find a way to make the Andy-run episodes work.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Speaking of finales, I just watched Victorious's final episode.

Eh.

New blog!