Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No-Personality

My Netflix got backed up recently, so I've been clearing out movies for the past week but I did take a break to watch the new Phelous video for Smiley. And immediately had to watch his video on Chain Letter directly afterward. Then Jack Frost 2 (I forgot the wife dies in that movie... huh).

Also, Lupa uploaded her latest Manic Episode on Charmed... 7 parts. 15 minutes a piece for 6 + 7 minutes for the last one. Her Witchcraft reviews are taking awhile but in the meantime, I've really been enjoying watching her insult the hell out of Alyssa Milano and Holly Marie Combs' characters. I forgot how this latest video began, a clip from some kind of apocalypse movie where the villain was cut out and replaced with Alyssa. That's how far it's come. The women on the show have become so evil, they're being compared to... (Okay, I just literally went back to the video to see what it was: it was Freddy Krueger from the 1989 tv series spin-off, Freddy's Nightmares.) After a few hours of talking about the show, I admit she hasn't sold a single person on ever subjecting themselves to it but it's still a lot of fun when she gets really mad and makes montages of the unbelievable selfishness of the characters.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Since I got Netflix back, I resumed watching Buffy from where I left off, and just finished season 3 today.

It was pretty good.

That is all.

Avaitor

Since you finished season 3, are you going to go to season 4 or start Angel up first? Or will you watch both at the same time, and trade episodes off?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm going to alternate between episodes of each series. So, I'm going to start with Buffy season 4 episode 1 tomorrow, and then watch Angel season 1 episode 1 after that, and then go to the next Buffy episode followed by the next Angel episode and so forth. If any seasons don't have the same number of episodes, then I'll just finish the rest of whatever season is longer and then continue alternating between the episodes of each series for the next season.

I'm only doing this because I've heard that these series apparently take place side-by-side chronologically, and I want to see how the events of this Universe progress as a whole rather than watching them as individual shows.

No-Personality

I guess I'm still waiting for Parks & Recreation: Season 5 to ever come to Netflix...or something.

In the meantime, since Nostalgia Chick appears to be suffering from a brain ailment (she posted this on Facebook, she's actually legitimately sick in a way that time won't fix by itself) that's taken her out of videomaking since April, I've been waiting for Lupa to finish Witchcraft so she'll get started on Nightmare on Elm Street. Pretty much everyone I follow has been really clogged lately. I assumed it's... cons. Except PushingUpRoses. She's been getting at least 1 a week up. And Lindsay did get a new 50 Shades of Green up earlier in the week.

So, instead of starting anything else up (since there are a good 5 shows on Netflix I want to finally start: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, It's Always Sunny, Buffy, and... I'm considering HIMYM), I've just been cruising old TGWTG vids.

But I'm planning on doing something about music videos. Just don't know where to post it.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Holy crap! They really do match up! In the first episode of season 4 of Buffy, she receives a phone call with no response. And the first episode of Angel, he makes a phone call and Buffy answers, and they he doesn't respond, and then hangs up. I like those little touches.

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on July 18, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
So, instead of starting anything else up (since there are a good 5 shows on Netflix I want to finally start: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, It's Always Sunny, Buffy, and... I'm considering HIMYM), I've just been cruising old TGWTG vids.
You won't be wasting your time with any of these shows. If you don't mind my asking, where did you stop with Buffy when you originally tried it?

Right now, I have 3 shows that I've been watching- The West Wing on Netflix (midway through season 2; good stuff all in all, but I'm still not fully sold on Sorkin), The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD (finally got seasons 5 & 6 and midway through 5; also great, and while the lack of Rhoda made the season feel a little empty at first, I love how Sue Ann is being integrated more), and Curb Your Enthusiasm online (wrapping up season 2 now; it's a little too much for me sometimes, but when it's on, hilarious. And I've been going through it quite fast). I've also been watching a little bit of Rhoda on MeTV. The show is so disjointed, but the general MTM writing is still strong here, and I do like Julie Kavner as Brenda. She is to Rhoda what Niles is to Frasier.

I want to get into Veep soon, and I might pause one of the ones I'm watching on my TV for Orange is the New Black, because that just looks great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been swapping between Buffy and Angel over the past few days. I'm half-way through Buffy season 4 and Angel season 1, and overall Angel is more up my alley as a show, but Buffy is still entertaining.

Also, I know that Joss Whedon likes to kill off characters and such, but I wasn't expecting Doyle to be killed off so early. I was thinking it may have been more effective if he had died closer to the end of season 1, so that you got a little bit more aspects of his character which still didn't feel quite fully developed by the time he was off'ed, but maybe that's just me. I suppose they got him killed-off in the middle of the season more for shock value, though. That said, he at least went out on a great episode, and essentially had a more dignified death than I can say for other unlucky characters from Whedon-created shows.

One other thing that I have to say is that Angel is A LOT more interesting of a character when he's NOT Buffy's love interest. He just has so many other facets to his character that this series gets to explore, but which were pushed to the side when he was a regular on Buffy.

Avaitor

Well Doyle's actor died shortly after he did in the show, so it might have been for the best.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, assuming Wikipedia isn't lying to me, it says that he died in 2002, whereas the show started airing in 1999, so I do think that he could have at least still lasted until the end of the 1st season. That said, his death itself was effective, and even though he was on the show for a short period of time, his character is still pretty memorable to leave a lasting impact for at least the rest of the season. Anyways, I'm just more peeved that he got replaced by Wesley. As far as comic relief characters go, Wesley certainly isn't my favorite. I mean, I know that he's supposed to come off as annoying, but I think he's meant to be annoying to the other characters and amusing to the audience. But instead I think he just annoys everyone who watches him. But, who knows, maybe he'll improve later on. I do think that Doyle was a legit funny character, though, which is why I mostly miss him as the strong comic relief element of the show with a bit of serious drama of his own that he was able to add.

Avaitor

Wow, I was way off with that. :sweat:

But don't sweat about Wesley being on the show. He changes a lot over the years.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I recently just came to the realization that Angel is basically the closest thing that I'll ever see to a Devil May Cry live-action TV series. Sure, one is a TV series and one is a video game series with over-the-top action, but the basic concept is more or less the same. A demon of some sort (in this case Angel is a vampire, but he's still basically just a type of demon) that allies himself with humans and some other demons or supernatural forces, and goes out on case-by-case missions to fight other demons, who are evil n' stuff. Of course, being that Angel is a TV series and not an action game, it naturally has much better writing than any DMC game.

Anyways, I'm on season 5 of Buffy and season 2 of Angel. I fucking hate Dawn. I just want to put it out there. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking with adding in this character as a plot-point, and maybe she was deliberately meant to be annoying, but where in writing 101 does it say that adding in a character strictly as a plot device and making them as unbearable as possible is a good idea?

You know how Whedon loves to kill off characters just becuase? Well, now'd be a good time to keep with that principle of his. But, you know, I'm just say'n is all....

Angel is still great, though. On the whole, so far, I really do like Buffy as a series, but always felt that the teen melodrama aspects of it always held it back a bit. Angel as a series has all of the good elements with Buffy without the teen angst and with a bit more liberty in telling downright darker story-lines, so its just more up my alley as a show.

Avaitor

Dawn has some great moments, but she's far from a favorite.

New blog!

Avaitor

Anyway, I started watching Orange is the New Black, and now I will never see Janeway in the same light again.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I currently just got around to season 6 of Buffy and season 3 of Angel. Here's my back-log of shows to watch on Netflix after I'm done with these other 2 series:

American Horror Story (Because they only have 1 season up and I wanted to check it out)
Dollhouse (Because its another Joss Whedon series, and I like his work enough to give it a try)
The X-Files (Because its apparently supposed to be the most influential sci-fi series of the past 2 decades)
Star Trek (Because its apparently supposed to be the most influential sci-fi series of all time; and yes, I only mean TOS)
Dr. Who (2005 - Present)

As you're all probably aware, I'm not a very avid watcher of TV shows, so I'm open to any other recommendations of stuff that I can find streaming on either Netflix or Hulu.