Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

For Halloween I watched "The Stand" miniseries. Being as it's the only adaption of the book, it was quite an enjoyable watch. On a story basis it's easily one of King's best.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

Finished the latest Netflix-uploaded seasons of The Office (so, final), 30 Rock (also, so final), and Parks & Recreation (season 5). Out of those 3 seasons, which would You say was the best?

Well, here's the answer whether you guessed it or not: 30 Rock. And, given the show's wavy quality since the beginning, I thought they absolutely knocked it out of the park. It's probably the best season Of the entire show. Although... after season 5 of P&R, I decided to go rewatch season 3 because I thought it was a masterpiece and... it was just okay on that 2nd watch. I stopped after 6 or 7 eps but whatever.

Anyway, the reason I'm making this post... I watched the first episode of the 2006 series 10 Items or Less way, way, way back in spring 2011 or something like that. And abandoned the show right after as it just wasn't good. For whatever reason, last weekend, I decided to try and finish it off since there are maybe 10 episodes max per season. Well, that didn't go so well this time either. I made it past the first season but stopped somewhere in episode 3 of season 2. And, let me be clear here: it is nothing for me to watch 16 episodes of The Office straight through (well, I mean, without going to bed or checking my E-Mail or something fully voluntary). So... safe to say it never really improved. Not enough at least. I don't think I'll be able to finish it.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I was a little skeptical of 30 Rock's last season at first, like I was with its last couple of seasons, but rewatching it and thinking some more had me realize that it really was a fantastic final season. One of the problems the show has always had, especially in its later years, is that it's never been great with character development. In some ways, the show actually rewards stagnancy in actions. But here, everyone grew up! Logically! And there's closure for practically every side character on there. Even Lutz got his revenge.

And it's absolutely perfect that Liz's adopted children are basically the child versions of Jenna and Tracy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on November 19, 2013, 07:22:41 AMAnd it's absolutely perfect that Liz's adopted children are basically the child versions of Jenna and Tracy.
I didn't notice that.  :huh:
and I love it.

Avaitor

I'm onto series 2 of Luther now. It's a lot better than any procedural currently on American TV, even if it isn't perfect.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

I'm probably going to buy Game of Thrones soon for my little brother. Which would also give me a chance to watch finally. Although, my mom recently got a two year deal for free HBO and Starz. I may can watch through On Demand, but I have to check first. I'm hoping this may mean an opportunity to see The Wire too.

Avaitor

Besides HBO on Demand, depending on which provider and phone/tablet you have, you should be able to have access to HBO Go, which contains most things post-Oz HBO have done.

You should totally check into that!

New blog!

No-Personality

Finally getting around to Arrested Development season 4. I first watched a few 2-3 episode chunks, being pretty damn disappointed. I really am not responding well, overall, to the split story set-up. It made sense when they started with Michael but, after that, I spent about 3 episodes practically screaming "Where's Lindsay?!?!" Then, when she showed up, I almost screamed "Where's Tobias?!?!" (By the way, in case you don't know, I frickin' hate Tobias.) The everyone-at-once format was perfect because you weren't forced to spend 30 straight minutes with one of these excruciatingly aggravating people. Spending 30 minutes with Michael will make you almost hate him, while I admit the more story focus on Tobias makes him less pathetic (if you can believe that). The all-George episode, or episode 2, was the ultimate test of patience. I still don't really understand this wall thing. I thought I did. But Lucille (1) is confusing me. I'm hoping she gets her own episode soon. I'm about 10 episodes in, I think.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Oh, I've been meaning to ask this, but Foggle, Insommy, have you guys seen The Sopranos? I know you're both big believers of The Wire, but I haven't seen either of you namedrop HBO's other big drama.

I know GregX is a fan, while NP isn't. And it's still on my list.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I plan on it once I finish college.

Foggle

I've seen about two seasons' worth and really like it. I definitely plan on finishing it some day.

LumRanmaYasha

Game of Thrones is amazing. 4 episodes in and I'm in love and dying to see more. It's also making me want to read the A Song of Ice and Fire books, which I'll probably be doing soon as I get the chance.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, had a peak by watching the first episode. Enjoyed it, and will continue once time opens up.

gunswordfist

Started Season 5 of Burn Notice last week, finished it this week and watched about 5 episodes of season 6 this week. :swoon:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

No-Personality

Finished AD4.

So...

Maeby got freaking screwed! And I mean, as an observation. I was shocked. The only thing I hold against the show is I really hated that her story ended with a Richter-twin joke. I actually cared about her and she had to share the end of her story with a really lousy, worn-out joke.

If Job's story ends here, I'll be happy with that.

I really want to see the rest of Lindsay's story. Like, NOW! I had an evil villain's smile 10-feet wide during her story's "conclusion." I know she become a tool for conservative interests but I don't care: It was Just Too Perfect. Though, this is more for the revenge on her mother than Sally Sitwell and Lucille Austero. When you find out it was Buster who nabbed the pictures and not Sally or Lucille, it cheapens her revenge.

George Bluth might have now eclipsed Tobias for character I least care about. Him and Oscar deserve creative oblivion.

Michael? Whatever. This was not a good season for his character.

I may have mentioned somewhere that I bailed hard on Buster's episode after a few minutes of Ultra Awkward. But it was a lot better than I expected, when I hunkered down and braved through it.

George Michael's story took a lot to get me invested, but... that ending... is something else. And, Rebel? She didn't even show up on my radar half the time. But I'll be damned if that final episode and that final scene didn't have me on the edge of my seat.

The same with Lucille "1"s episode. Talk about a powerhouse. And, though I love Jessica Walter's performance, I never really cared about her character before. This season changed everything. Her episode actually made me care about her. I never thought I would see her elevated beyond that person I kind of resented for the cheap jokes at Lindsay's expense.

Overall, I really have to say I think this season was more on-par with the first 2 than I expected it was going to be. It's nowhere near as complex as the former seasons but I'm shocked at how much better this season was for Buster and Tobias (my opinion) and what it was able to do for characters I merely tolerated before. Even if I lost everything I felt previously for Michael Bluth.
and I love it.