Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Marathoning Community Season 4 with my buddy. Besides all the negative hype, we're liking it as much as the first three seasons.

Also, Alison Brie.  :swoon:

Avaitor

I finally got around to starting up The Sopranos. I have to admit, watching the first couple of episodes got me to think that while the show is still strong, it has aged in comparison to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and even The Wire (I say "even" in its case since its only 3 years younger), but then I hit "College", which is the show's first perfect episode. Alright, now I'm getting it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

One of the few shitty things about watching a great show like Breaking Bad is that any show not on the same ridiculously high level of quality as it will seem like utter crap in comparison (at least initially). Thus when I started watching Dexter on Netflix, I wasn't too impressed with it (the first few episodes were shit, IMO, and even though it got a bit better later on, season 1 was mostly "eh"). With the 2nd season, though, the show has been slowly growing on me.

I also plan to start watching Mad Men later on, as well. Unfortunately, my current APC rotation has me so insanely busy that I hardly have the time to watch much of anything, so I can only manage to keep up with a single show at a time, right now.

Avaitor

I finished season 1 of The Sopranos tonight, and eh, there was a bit of a rough spot a little past the halfway mark. Two pretty weak episodes in a row- one was about how Meadow's soccer coach apparently had a fling with one of her teammates, which forced Tony to decide whether or not he should take action on him. While that moral question is strong, the execution almost comes off like an after school special, which is disappointing considering the quality of the writing and direction otherwise on the show. There's also a thing about how Uncle Junior likes to give rather than receive oral, and I don't see why this is an issue. What's wrong with eating out? This came off as bullshit sexism to me. The next episode wasn't much better, where Chris and his girlfriend give her ex's band some session time, thanks to a rapper who has a thing for her. There's some good bits in the studio with Chris and the singer, but there isn't much purpose to the episode, and the rapper feels kind of... poorly written for a black character. From what I can tell, race is not one of the show's strong points.

But the last string of episodes? Straight ace, all the way through. It gives me enough confidence to watch the rest of the show just fine. I have the next two seasons on hand, which I'll get to very soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm working on season 2 of The Sopranos now, but I just finished a show I've been watching on and off for a while now- All in the Family.

The last season is pretty skippable, since without the Stivics it's pretty flat, and little Stephanie doesn't add that much, but it still has its moments even then. The previous season was strangely one of the stronger ones though, which is weird because the previous few were falling just around average, far from its peak in seasons 2 and 3. Ultimately, the show just doesn't have characters as strong as on Mary Tyler Moore or M*A*S*H or Taxi, not to mention how dated a lot of it intentionally is, but there is some fantastic sitcom writing which makes the show worth discovering anyway. Ultimately though, I'm glad I decided to watch it all the way through, instead of cherry picking various episodes I remember or have read about.

and no, I'm not going to watch Archie Bunker's Place. At least not all of it. But there are a couple of episodes I think that I should see.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I had no clue Jay Leno just retired. I haven't seen him in like...years. A lot bigger than the last time I saw him. Almost unrecognizable. That goodbye was pretty sad to watch.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

I watched that show earlier today, for the first time since at least 2009 when he quit the first time.  His speech at the end was touching, the video with the celebs giving advice on what he should do next was cute, and the song bit with all the surprise guests was cool, but everything else was super boring.  No wonder Jay's going out, he can't even make his last show interesting.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Comeau on February 08, 2014, 01:02:32 AM
I watched that show earlier today, for the first time since at least 2009 when he quit the first time.  His speech at the end was touching, the video with the celebs giving advice on what he should do next was cute, and the song bit with all the surprise guests was cool, but everything else was super boring.  No wonder Jay's going out, he can't even make his last show interesting.
That's a mean 16 100th post. :sly:

I wish I saw it live...but I had no clue. I'm completely out of touch with network television and then some. I did watch Conan's last episode on whatever he show was called before he got his self-titled show though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

No-Personality

Randomly going through old Nostalgia Critic episodes I've never watched. And there seem to be a lot.

He really is incredibly funny. More often than I usually give him credit for. So far, I've finally watched his The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Once Upon a Forest reviews. (Before winding up in a strange vacuum of crossover videos he posted on his channel with Phelous, Film Brain, Linkara, Cinema Snob, Spoony, Benzai, etc. Yet, of course, none of them were with him.)

Oh, and I've been mainlining Phelous videos like a freakin' addict. In the process of watching both and some other random Blippers (The Bunny Perspective, Benzai, Oancitizen, Folding Ideas, Blood Splattered Cinema, Roses again, Cinema Snob, That Blockbuster Chick, Musical Hell, The Absent Commentator, Count Jackula, and xxJessWorldxx), I've realized a LOT of people are affected by the motherfucking "This Episode Will Not Play" bullshit from Blip that it's been a long time (before a few weeks ago) since I've come across and was very happy that it hadn't been showing up so often. Now, it's everywhere.

That being said, now Oancitizen's Jubilee episode will play again. Don't know why I thought to check it again but that was a longtime victim of the Will Not Play screen.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I like how on the place I'm watching NewsRadio on, they don't have the last season uploaded. They're literally saying that I should just stop before Phil dies.

But yeah, just watched the pilot, which was cute, but nothing earth-shattering compared to Seinfeld or Frasier. Since the show was never a big hit and wasn't syndicated much, this is new to me, so I'm hoping that I really get into it soon.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's one of my favorite sitcoms. Phil Hartman totally steals the show, though. Just like he did in everything he was in.

I don't think I've ever bothered with the last season. I heard it was good, but I just don't have the motivation to watch it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

ApocalypticHybrid had the whole show uploaded to YouTube and I watched it all on there. When Netflix took it down. So, I've seen the 5th season. And the show is by far one of my favorites, I'll bet I've mentioned it here before.
and I love it.

Avaitor

I'll try to find the fifth season then. I do like Jon Lovitz, after all.

New blog!

No-Personality

I think it's better than the Lauren Graham episodes from Season 4. She... almost killed that show for me. I know to blame her whole storyline rather than the actress but, I can't remember the last time I nearly clicked off a show I was really digging until a new character came along.
and I love it.

Avaitor

I already have a fun game I like to play when I watch NewsRadio. I call it "Bill or Buck", as I try to decide which line from Stephen Root is delivered like Bill Dauterive or Buck Strickland.

But yeah, I'm almost done with season 1. Which I guess isn't too special, since it's only 7 episodes, but I am rather liking it so far.

New blog!