Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

Watching NCIS: LA. This is some good stuff. There's not a lot on tv I watch these days especially since Burn Notice ended, but this is probably the next best show I've seen since BN.

Avaitor

Blackadder is just the kind of comedy I love. Smart, well-defined, funny from start to finish. The last season is probably the best, too.

Now I'm going to decide if I should rewatch Spaced or try to catch up with Bob's Burgers.

Edit: The coin says Bob's Burgers
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Let's talk about music! I'm going to make a quick list of some of my favorite uses of music in various television series, linked with the songs in question. I won't link to the actual scenes, because just like your favorite part in a song, you can't just skip to it- you have to earn your way through.

Mad Men- I HAVE to start out here. It's no secret that The Beatles are very particular about their music rights, and Mad Men is one of the few shows which was allowed the opportunity to use one of their songs in an episode. And they don't waste it.. This is portrayed in a fascinating sequence that is typically shot with a hyper-detailed eye, as per usual for the show, as it also keeps true to the characters.

Parks and Recreation- This song was used during a great wide shot at the end of a pivotal season 3 episode, revealing the successful results of a make it or break it endeavor in Leslie's career. I wouldn't put this among my favorite Tom Petty songs by a wide margin, but it's a wonderful usage, and might be among the show's most important moments. They even went as far as to recreate a similar shot earlier this season with a different Petty song used, and it worked then as well!

The West Wing- Oh, The West Wing. I wish you were as consistent as your promising first 2 seasons led me to believe you would be, but before the Sorkin-ness of it all killed the early momentum, and it took a while for the show to recover after losing him, the series made a fantastic finale in season 2, question the beliefs of its liberal's liberal of a president. This sequence takes the full 7 minutes of the song to its advantage, as we go through each of his decisions before stepping up to the podium and altar the course of the series. Meanwhile, the camera remains crisper than it ever would during the show's run, from the episode's titular cathedrals to the press room. The following season, the show would attempt to recreate the magic of this sequence in a different manner, accompanied by Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah", and while that was also well done, it just couldn't compete here.

Taxi- Now, I won't be able to talk about too many classic TV series on this list for a reason- at least compared to today's shows, older series just didn't use licensed songs all that much, and when they did, they weren't used as effectively as they would be in a show like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. But there was definitely a Billy Joel song played in a particular episode of Taxi (even if the DVDs cut it out, but finding a print with the original track online sure helps things), and like the show itself, it's used in a sharp, yet surprisingly dark way. This episode is mostly atypical, taking away Alex and Elaine, the show's will they/won't they duo, away from New York and into Vienna, and has them briefly hook up, only to never seemingly do so again in the series' run. Reading the lyrics of the song, while it doesn't entirely fit the context of the episode or the characters, it is a sharp mood piece in which Joel ponders the rest of one's life, giving somewhat vague answers, and in some way speaks to Alex and Elaine here, as well as the audience, suggesting that maybe we shouldn't have to question these things so frequently.

How I Met Your Mother- And of course I have a HIMYM choice. And to be fair, the show has always had a good sense of music choices, alternating between indie underdogs to agreeable oldies which fit the bill for what needs to be told (and here's another, more recent example from the show, which worked wonderfully, especially when you remember that this is Ted's favorite artist). But this Big Star classic was pulled out during one of the show's most daring and iconic moments- the two minute date. Of course, it goes over 2 minutes, as does the song, but its usage is still perfect, as it does sell the idea that Ted's romantic side is double-edged. His spontaneity is what impresses the women he dates, but ultimately what has pulled him away from a true commitment. Until the mother, that is. One key element we've been learning about their relationship this year is that he doesn't need to retrieve a blue French horn or woo her in 2 and a half minutes to win her over. All Ted has to do is... just care. Still, I can't get over the perfect choice in music here.

The Sopranos- I still have one more season to go, and I'm sure there'll be even more great choices on the show until then, but as a set-up to what is going to be the rest of this rough series? Perfect. And there are also some keen choices from Italian culture that I could go with, but I'll just go with Sepinwall's favorite track here. :P

The Wire- Now here's another show with fantastic music choices, but this is probably the first one that really spoke to me (which shouldn't be a surprise to you guys), and it also came from the first episode to REALLY wow me. The way it leads into Freamon's wonderfully written talk to McNulty is also just perfect.

And I would be remiss to not leave this here as well. ;)

The Americans- TUSK!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Mtv's The Real World has gotten me again. Someone uploaded the entire 2nd season. (Los Angeles, featuring Jon the country singer.) The only one I think is entirely on YouTube. But, I don't feel guilty for it. The first 3 or 4 seasons are still damn fine television. Since the series was actually defined more by its humor, the quirkiness of the cast and the houses, and the surreal situational value than by the fights. Until we got to Miami.

Also, holy shit, there are TWO MAJOR horror genre parallels to this season of the show. One of the cast members (Beth A., the gay woman who befriended Glen) was literally a production assistant on Phantasm III. Another, Jon (the country singer), actually goes to a meeting at Roger Corman's offices. He doesn't talk to Roger, but to Mike Elliot- a major producer and he also had a bit part acting in one of the films that made my Top 100 Horror Films list, Sorority House Massacre II (which is on Netflix: Watch Instant by the way).

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 09:00:06 PMTaxi- Now, I won't be able to talk about too many classic TV series on this list for a reason- at least compared to today's shows, older series just didn't use licensed songs all that much, and when they did, they weren't used as effectively as they would be in a show like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. But there was definitely a Billy Joel song played in a particular episode of Taxi (even if the DVDs cut it out, but finding a print with the original track online sure helps things), and like the show itself, it's used in a sharp, yet surprisingly dark way. This episode is mostly atypical, taking away Alex and Elaine, the show's will they/won't they duo, away from New York and into Vienna, and has them briefly hook up, only to never seemingly do so again in the series' run. Reading the lyrics of the song, while it doesn't entirely fit the context of the episode or the characters, it is a sharp mood piece in which Joel ponders the rest of one's life, giving somewhat vague answers, and in some way speaks to Alex and Elaine here, as well as the audience, suggesting that maybe we shouldn't have to question these things so frequently.
I'm getting the itch to revisit. Big time. But I'm still missing seasons 4 and 5. (I think that's when it ended.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on April 15, 2014, 11:58:20 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 09:00:06 PMTaxi- Now, I won't be able to talk about too many classic TV series on this list for a reason- at least compared to today's shows, older series just didn't use licensed songs all that much, and when they did, they weren't used as effectively as they would be in a show like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. But there was definitely a Billy Joel song played in a particular episode of Taxi (even if the DVDs cut it out, but finding a print with the original track online sure helps things), and like the show itself, it's used in a sharp, yet surprisingly dark way. This episode is mostly atypical, taking away Alex and Elaine, the show's will they/won't they duo, away from New York and into Vienna, and has them briefly hook up, only to never seemingly do so again in the series' run. Reading the lyrics of the song, while it doesn't entirely fit the context of the episode or the characters, it is a sharp mood piece in which Joel ponders the rest of one's life, giving somewhat vague answers, and in some way speaks to Alex and Elaine here, as well as the audience, suggesting that maybe we shouldn't have to question these things so frequently.
I'm getting the itch to revisit. Big time. But I'm still missing seasons 4 and 5. (I think that's when it ended.)
Yep! From what I recall, the last season wasn't too great, but it was a last-minute renewal on another network, mostly done to help the show get to syndication numbers. Plus they did lose some of the show's most important people to work on Cheers instead, which started at the same time.

And in other awesome TV news, The Americans is renewed. Hell yes.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

This season of Community ended rather lamely. It's neat how they milked the "Save Greendale" thing for two+ seasons, but it's gotten old, and while funny, the season finale felt the least satisfying and conclusive than any of the previous ones. Overall, I did love the season though. It's a marked step up over the last, though I wouldn't say it's as good as the first three seasons. Still, there were some great episodes in this one, like "Geothermal Escapism" and "App Development and Condiments," that were as good as some of the shows finer half-hours. I wouldn't mind the series ending here, but of course I'd like to see a sixth season and movie.  ;) Community quickly became essential viewing for me again this season after my interest in it was dissolved in the first few episodes of season 4, and though things won't be the same without Troy and Pierce, it's still such a fun show to watch, and I'd always love more of it (provided Dan Harmon is in charge, of course).

Speaking of Dan Harmon, Rick and Morty's first season was hilarious and awesome and cemented it as the best show on [adult swim] right now. The wait for season 2 is going to be killer.

As for Parks and Recreation, I've been enjoying the last few episodes, the latest episode being the hardest I've laughed at the show in a good while. The development that Ben and Leslie are having triplets is interesting, to say the least. I'm curious to see where they'll take that.

Avaitor

I find it fascinating that people are complaining about how a sitcom character having triplets is so unoriginal. Only two example have been mentioned of this happening, and while I don't remember every single thing about Friends, I'm 90% sure that they didn't keep all the kids, and I didn't know that anyone under the age of 50 cares about My Three Sons.

I haven't been liking this season of Parks much at all, but I think that's a good reveal. But I really do hope that Leslie and Ben take this as an opportunity to leave Pawnee and take the job in Chicago. The longer the show goes on, the more apparent it becomes that this is an awful town and that they deserve better.

I did like this season of Community though, but I don't think this has been one of its best. Even with Harmon back, it's still a show in its fifth season, and it does feel like they've been running out of things to tell. I also really miss Troy, since he basically was the heart of the show. But I can't be too harsh on it, since there have been some great episodes, and even the weakest have had some great jokes.

New blog!

GregX

I'm three episodes into "House of Cards" on Netflix. Terrific series.

Avaitor

I was watching WKRP in Cincinnati on Antenna TV the other night, and I caught an episode where the station was nursing a "hot new punk act" for a concert they were sponsoring. The funny thing is that they were trying to build these guys up as Sex Pistols clones, but their actual music sounds like third-rate Bad Company knock-offs.

I actually looked them up, and apparently the band that was featured here were on Swan Song, so that's an apt comparison. It's funny that American network TV was so afraid of getting a punk band for primetime that they got a band which was almost literally the exact opposite of the movement to play the part.

New blog!

Avaitor

Alright, so the next season of Parks is going to be a time jump. That... has the potential to be really awesome, actually. I'm all for it.

If I had to do rankings for my 3 go-to comedies this season like I've done before, I'd give Community an 8, and both HIMYM and Parks a 7. I wanted to give the former an 8 and the latter a 6, but the last episodes for both made me rethink those decisions. Now all we need is a confirmed renewal for Community, and it's all good.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I guess I'd barely give Community an 8, myself. It was a pretty good season, but not many episodes made much of an impression on me, compared to the first three seasons. I'd give HIMYM a 7 because, while the finale was terrible, it was a mostly decent season otherwise, and I'd give P&R a 6 because though there was no really bad episodes, it was kinda boring for most of the season and didn't become interesting to watch again until the last few weeks. I must say, this wasn't one of my more favorite years for the live-action comedies I keep up with. Hopefully Community and P&R are stronger next season (assuming the former even gets renewed).

Spark Of Spirit

Is Community at 100 episodes yet? If not, they'll renew it just for that.

Reruns = money in the pocket.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

It has 97 episodes right now, so it's almost there.

Avaitor

Sony is considering making a sixth season even if NBC doesn't pick it up, so it might go straight to DVD or Hulu.

And I guess if NBC does renew it (pretty much every other comedy they try never catches on. Community and Parks get tiny ratings, but they do relatively better than just about any new show they try out, which is why they keep on getting renewed. This season was pretty bad for Community in the ratings, though), Sony will try to give it the movie too.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm gonna move P&R back to a 6 after all. I just remembered Craig's existence. I really hate Craig. But I will admit that the show got some of its energy back when Andy returned after his hiatus.

As for HIMYM, man, I really did like a lot of this season. I will never stop praising Cristin Milioti as Tracy, and just about all of her episodes were winners. Even some of the ones without her were pretty good, too. But besides the finale, there were some weird decisions made throughout. One that bugs me in particular is when Marshall goes and decks the Captain, since he believed that Lily cheated with him. Marshall would never do that.

New blog!