Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, my cousin just gave me his login info for HBO GO, which means that I can FINALLY start watching Game of Thrones. I was planning on reading the books first, but now that I have immediate access to the show, I might as well get on that.

LumRanmaYasha

I still need to watch the second and third seasons. That's my priority tv-wise once summertime comes around. Well, that and finishing Breaking Bad. And The Wire...

Avaitor

Don't forget The Wire and The Sopranos as well, EK.

Oh, and Band of Brothers. I've been watching that on and off with the AV Club, and it's hella.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Wire is next on my list after catching up to GOT, and then The Sopranos.

Avaitor

Speaking of the Sopranos, I just finished it.

I said before that I saw how someone can prefer it to the Wire, even though I personally wouldn't, and I stand by that. One key difference between the two is that if one story in your average Wire episode didn't appeal to you, there's going to be at least 3 or 4 that will instead (although that statistic became less in the show's favor during the last season). With the Sopranos, either it's all mostly good or it's mostly not. Rarely ever in between.

But when it's good, damn if it isn't some of the best TV ever made. The last season did meander in some points, but I found it satisfying overall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished season 1 of Game of Thrones. Excellent show. It's too bad that my favorite character up to this point had to be killed off before the end of the season, but I suppose I should probably get used to that sort of thing with this series.

Avaitor

Spoiler
Ned's death is akin to Jenny Calender's. The kiddy gloves were already off, but now they're totally burned, and no one is safe.
[close]

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hope you don't mind, but I edited that into a spoiler tag for you.

But, yeah, now that a main character has died, you really get the feeling that anything goes in this series. I still think that he'll remain to be my favorite character for quite a while in the same way that Doyle was my favorite character on Angel for a long time despite only being in season 1 of the show.

That said, of the characters still currently alive as of season 2, my 2nd place would have to be a toss-up between Tyrion and Jon Snow.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just finished season 2, and damn is that a cliffhanger way to go out on that season. I can't wait to see how all of this culminates into the events of season 3. I'd like to hope that Joffrey gets his comeuppance, but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon because this show just loves it's villains far too much.

Avaitor

Well just keep watching. :)

Season 2's penultimate episode is easily among my favorites. Martin chose well to focus his attention to the Battle of Blackwater Bay, and made it even more exciting than in the novel.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That battle really reminds me of the battle at Helms Deep from TLOTR,  just in terms of the vibe of a kingdom defending a wall of that magnitude.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, I definitely see that. Martin doesn't like ASOIAF being compared to LOTR, since they're different endeavors in high-end fantasy and he has other influences, but Tolkien certainly was important to the game as well.

New blog!

talonmalon333

What do you guys think of the, uh, Syfy channel?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 08, 2014, 10:06:57 PM
What do you guys think of the, uh, Syfy channel?
About as much as I think of genital warts.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just finished season 3 of GOT. Yep. Most despicable TV villains ever. Naturally, I will be thoroughly pissed if the antagonists don't get dealt the same level of cruelty by the end of the series.