Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on September 15, 2014, 10:54:49 PM
Is it worth sticking with Twin Peaks if I'm not really liking the first season?
You might as well watch until they solve who killed Laura Palmer. At the very least, you'll have pop culture knowledge.

But the show really is not for everyone.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 15, 2014, 11:06:24 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 15, 2014, 10:54:49 PM
Is it worth sticking with Twin Peaks if I'm not really liking the first season?
You might as well watch until they solve who killed Laura Palmer. At the very least, you'll have pop culture knowledge.

But the show really is not for everyone.
I mean, I already know (damn internet culture), but I do want to at least see the episode it's revealed, since it's supposed to be a landmark. Also, most, but not all, believe that the show becomes increasingly weaker after the reveal. I'd stick around if I was liking it more, though.

I'm just not impressed, which is surprising me. I wish it was a lot weirder, personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

In other news, I'm supposed to watch episodes of Have Gun, Will Travel and The Twilight Zone for one of my classes. That should be cool.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Has anyone heard of the show Da Vinci's Demons?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched the premiere episode of the Gotham TV series. It was OK. I wasn't that excited about this show, and I'm still not sold on it, but going by the first episode, it does have some potential, depending on where they decide to go with it from here.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Tomorrow will be the premiere of The Flash. I like Arrow well enough, so I'll definitely be giving that show a watch. And of course I'll be keeping up with Arrow season 3 as well, which starts airing on Thursday.

Spark Of Spirit

Someone else here likes Arrow? Strange, I thought I was alone.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Me and Avaitor had a whole conversation about Arrow like a few pages back. How'd you miss that? :D

Anyways, it's a good show, with the potential to be great. I found season 2 to be even better than the first season, with Slade being my favorite villain on the show so far. Season 3 is also looking like it'll be excellent, so I'm eager to watch that as well.

Since The Flash is largely made up of a production team that previously worked on Arrow, I'm interested in that as well. Perhaps I'll create a thread for DC shows on the CW (since they are likely to add more series to their lineup in the coming years).

Avaitor

No, I enjoy it. I wish the show was willing to have a little more fun with itself, but I'll take Arrow over AOS any day. I'll end up watching The Flash's pilot online tomorrow, since I have a club tonight though.

Oh, and I just watched the pilot of A to Z. Beside Milioti, the show really is similar to HIMYM in a lot of ways, although it never did have Lea Thompson ride one of the hoverboards from BTTF II. That said, this was entertaining, and I like how Andrew was called out for his stalkerish tendencies, which rarely happened to Ted. It wasn't all that funny, but the performances are enough to keep me interested in the show for now.

Edit: I'd say that the first season of Arrow is a 7/10, maybe an 8 on a good day, while you can bump the second season up a number on both cases.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Arrow and Person of Interest are the two current running shows I like the most, honestly.

I'm definitely interested in seeing The Flash, though. With the production team behind Arrow backing it it has a lot of potential.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do think that Arrow has a nice balance of dark and serious story-lines with a healthy dose of humor thrown in, but it's clear that they were going for more of a Batman-esque vibe with the tone, since that's what's popular right now. Still, I think it's pretty good about not being super serious all of the time.

As for being more fun-spirited, it looks like The Flash is going to be the show to fill that void within that Universe, which will also help to distinguish it from Arrow.

As for my favorite currently running shows (counting stuff that are just in off-season, right now), I'd have to say this is the order that I'd go with based on what I'm currently following (and naturally, I'm not counting animation, here):

1. Game of Thrones
2. Bordwalk Empire (but I'm still not caught up with it, yet)
3. Arrow
4. Girl Meets World
5. Gotham

I certainly like the first 3 shows, and am kind of mixed about GMW, but I do still find it to be good entertainment for kids. Gotham hasn't impressed me yet, and while I'll stick with it for at least a few more episodes, it's bordering dangerously close on AOS territory blandness, IMO, but to its credit it has a few saving graces, namely the characters of Bullock, Selina Kyle, and Penguin, each of who I find to be done really well. Alfred is actually pretty decent, as well. Its biggest problem is that Jim Gordon, it's main character, is pretty flat, and I don't really care about him yet. That one lady who's a gang leader is, quite frankly, a terrible villain, at least so year. Someone of that high of a position should not be as stupid and rash as she is. Also, while only a minor character, I'm not buying that kid as Bruce Wayne, right now. Maybe it's because good child actors are really hard to come by, but his performance really does leave a lot to be desired. As it stands, it's not a bad show, by any means, but I'd it doesn't pick itself up in quality fast, it'll become another really bland mess like AOS, and that by effect will make it a bad show. I'm actually really hoping that it doesn't come to that, because I actually do want to like what I'm watching.

Avaitor

Obviously Arrow isn't bereft of humor, but the series does remind me of Buffy and Angel with its traditional network series season order and mix of storyarc-building with less direct plot-based episodes, minus the more fun ones. I kind of miss that, personally, since some of the less focused episodes aren't all that enjoyable.

Then again, Buffy and Angel had some stupid episodes themselves.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hell, I'd argue that a good chunk of Angel's fourth season is really bad. I mean, Connor fucks Cordelia and gets her pregnant with a goddess from another dimension, who turns out to be the main villain of the arc. I mean, just process that for a second. That is idiotic writing at its finest. The only redeeming qualities of that season were some of the early one-shot episodes like Spin the Bottle, as well as those Faith episodes in the middle of the season, and the fact that Angelus payed major homage to Hannibal Lector with his scenes in the cage was an awesome use of his character. Still, that is the worst season in the Buffy/Angel-verse by far. It even manages to make Buffy's 4th season look so much better in contrast. After all, that season's fault was just that its main story-line was kind of boring, not that it was badly written. As far as I'm concerned, season 5 was like an apology for season 4, and saved the series in my eyes, by letting it go out on a high note.

Spark Of Spirit

If I might ask... how old is Selena Kyle in Gotham?

Avaitor

I'd say that the season finale was also good, since it was building up to the fifth as an apology of sorts. It also mostly wrapped up Connor's arc about as well as they could have at that point. Simply erasing him from existence would have been too easy and ultimately would have made the season even more of a waste of time, while there's no way that Angel could have let him stay the way he was. Making it so Connor was raised by a regular family, and only Angel remembers his existence is darkly appropriate as both an end to this story and a way to get to stronger material in the following season.

Of course, I think all of Buffy and Angel's season finales, even for their lesser seasons, were very good. Barring Angel's second season arc, mind you. I'm still not a Pylea fan.

New blog!