Ushio & Tora

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 10, 2015, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not the type to start threads for new anime, never mind ones that are older than most of the members are, but I figured this could double as both a thread for the new series being directed by Satoshi Nishimura and animated by MAPPA (probably the best example of a hit and miss studio ever) as well as the old OVAs from 1992.

For those unaware, Ushio & Tora is a hotblooded Shonen about a strong-willed boy and a half-wit youkai who band together to save the world. Tora (not his real name) was defeated long ago by a samurai who pinned him to a rock bed and left him sealed for hundreds of years. When Ushio finds the sealed youkai and his home under attack, he removes the spear not only freeing the monster from his prison, but gaining tremendous power in the process. The two form an unlikely alliance, hating each other a little less as they save the world time after time. It's essentially part buddy comedy and part action show.

The original manga lasted from 1990-1996 and lasted 33 volumes, to say it represents the era it was made is not giving it enough credit since it was at the forefront of the Shonen high-tide of the time. It inspired three OVAs, the first of which is six episodes and only covers very early manga material, the second of which composes four episodes and covers two standalone stories from the manga, and a third which is primarily a hodgepodge of music and comedy sketches.

The new anime will be 39 episodes and is stated to end at the same place the manga does, meaning it will be adapting far more than the OVAs managed. This means it will most likely be streamlined to include the arcs from the manga and not the standalone material that does not feature major characters. The only material sure to be repeated are the first six OVA episodes and a certain story in the second OVA which means that even fans of the old OVA will have something to look forward to.

Why is this show a big deal? Well, it isn't really. It's an unapologetic hotblooded Shonen anime in an age where that is only acceptable if you're being ironic, have a stupid gimmick, or are sufficiently grimdark. It's also directed by the man who directed both Trigun and Hajime no Ippo, which means you know the visuals will be up to the task of modernizing what many probably wouldn't otherwise give a chance. The biggest plus for it is that you won't find much like it out there these days and that it is unapologetic in how fun it is.

The OP and ED are pretty great, too.

As for me, I'm quite enjoying it even if I've seen the current material before in the old OVA. Anybody else watching?

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

It's the second best show this season after Snow White. That might not be saying much, since Snow White is the only above-average show this season, but I'm enjoying it and am optimistic that it will be a solid, entertaining series for it's entire run.

gunswordfist

QuoteI'm not the type to start threads for new anime

Which is exactly what garnered my attention. I went to myself, "Boy, this must be good then." This sounds laughably, obviously and typically right up my angle. Please have it, CR...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

By the end of the next episode they'll have adapted the entire first volume. Nishimura really seems to get the appeal of the manga, since he's emphasizing all the right things.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 11, 2015, 01:52:29 PM
This sounds laughably, obviously and typically right up my angle. Please have it, CR...
It is, and they do.  ;D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

New episode every Friday on CR.

As someone who doesn't usually keep up with new anime on the day and date of each episode, this is the first one that made me want to. It's Shonen fun the likes of which I haven't enjoyed in a while. Reminds me of why I like the medium so much like BBB did, but in a different way.

At the same time, both the creator of Flame of Recca, and the creator of Zatch Bell, got their start working on this manga back in the day. And the influence they took from it really shows in different ways.

gunswordfist

I watched both episodes after midnight. It has decent comedy so far and the title characters are likable, especially Tora.

Spark Of Spirit

The newest episode was originally a two-parter in the original OVA. If you want proof of how good a director Nishimura is, I suggest watching episode 5 and 6 of the OVA and this episode. He managed to hit all the same and important beats without sacrificing any of the story and made his episode better in the process.

Next week he will be adapting an earlier episode of the OVA (which actually comes after "Tora Goes to the City" in the manga, so I don't get what the OVA guys were doing here) that introduces another very important character. After that, I believe they will have adapted everything from the first 6 episode OVA that can be adapted.

gunswordfist

I had the AC on and a fan on my 360 so I watched it on that about an hour ago. Obviously a Tora episode so I liked it. I'm hooked.

Spark Of Spirit

This episode utterly destroyed its counterpart in the original OVA. Exorcist Hyou is so much better than he was there and his fight with Tora isn't even comparable.

In other news, the next episode was a two-parter in the second OVA which means at this rate we'll probably be through the OVA material by episode 8 (even though episode 3 wasn't in the old OVA) and into the main story soon enough. I believe Ushio's father will be back by then and setting off the events for the plot.

gunswordfist

cool! ^ I just finished today's episode. Hyou's pretty cool and I liked the murder vs. revenge theme.

Spark Of Spirit

Two things about this episode. The first thing is that this was a two-parter in the second OVA (episode 7 and 8) and that Nishimura did a great job sharpening everything up as well as emphasizing that Ushio and Tora hate each other a lot less now after what they've been through already. The second thing is to be sure to watch until the end of the ED as it is a hint to the next part of the story. The next story, I believe, is the proper beginning of the story. Though since it wasn't in the old OVA I don't know for sure.

Either way, another great episode. I'm really enjoying it.

EDIT: On a sidenote, I do wish the anime could somehow use this theme at some point. It's easily the best track from the old OVA, but so totally obscure.

Spark Of Spirit

And with this episode the main storyline has begun. There's still one OVA episode left, but I'm sure it happens a bit later. As it is, we're now in completely new territory for those of us who only saw the OVA since it never touched the main storyline. It's certainly getting better with each episode and I'm pretty well hooked now.

On a whole other subject, I've been looking up the author, Kazuhiro Fujita. I find it absolutely baffling as to why he has not gotten more attention even in Japan. He's been working constantly since Ushio & Tora started in 1990, and not little things either. All three of his works were major successes, not to mention his other work also did well, yet you hear almost nothing about him and he has gotten no anime adaptions. Check it out:

Ushio & Tora: 1990-1996
Ura no Uta: 1988-1994 (Short stories running at the same time as U&T)
Karakuri Circus: 1997-2006
Akatsuki no Yuta: 1996-2003 (Another short story collection at the same time as KC)
Moonlight Act: 2008-2014

All that material, and not a single anime adaption. He even did two one-shots in 2007: the only year here where he wasn't writing an ongoing manga. If you ask me, this show is about due for the man. He's been working constantly since 1990, for 25 years, and has been all but passed over even as anime and manga blew up over here. Considering some of the junk that has been made into anime, I find that pretty strange.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up. I'm clearly becoming the biggest U&T fan here.

LumRanmaYasha

Some mangaka just seem to get the shaft like that. Though it's rare that someone making multiple different mainstream series for so long doesn't get at least one of them made into a tv anime until now.

I heard about Karakuri Circus for the first time when WMR reviewed it last year. I still haven't stared reading it, but it seems like a really interesting and cool series. If U&T does well enough, it'd be cool if MAPPA adapts that soon after. Though, we still haven't gotten a Historie anime announcement from Madhouse even though it's been a couple months since Parasyte's ended, so who knows.

U&T has been really fun so far. It's won me over very quickly, so I'm looking forward to seeing it dig into the main storyline and seeing how it develops.

Spark Of Spirit

It's weird since his works are basically the only popular Weekly Shonen Sunday series that have never even gotten an anime adaption that I've noticed. Flame of Recca's might not have been too great, but it still got one, and even a few less popular series got made into one.

If they're planning on going after "missed" series like U&T after this, especially Shonen Sunday series, more works by Fujita are the obvious choice to make. There are no '90s or '00s Jump series I can think of that have been missed (other than longshots like Psyren or MxO), that have been missed like his have been in Weekly Shonen Sunday.

Either way, if Nishimura is handling it, I'm definitely game.

Also, glad you're also enjoying it. I hope it's doing pretty well despite being so unabashedly old school.