31 Nights of Halloween (2015)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2015, 03:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

The image is too big. Can you maybe scale it down by adding a width value to the img tag?

EDIT: Thanks!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

A while ago, TCM showed each of Hammer's Mummy films, and getting to see most of them was a pretty good experience.

This is a little more full of a feature than Universal's, although I would argue that they're about equal. Both are definitely worth checking out, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I think it's a little more right to compare it to the Universal sequels.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 11

Directed by: John Fawcett
Screenplay by: Karen Walton
Starring: Emily Perkins, Katharine Isabelle
Released: 2000

This is yet another film that I've been meaning to get around to. I know that Talon is a big fan, and the premise certainly seems intersting enough. But, for now, it's just another film on my horror backlog.

Still, I'm always up for a good werewolf movie of any kind. We don't get enough of those in our zombie and vampire-obsessed culture.

talonmalon333

It's really one of the better werewolf movies. I'd say top three. It's also a horror movie from the 2000s that avoided CGI in favor of real effects.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 12

Directed by: Robert Wise
Screenplay by: Nelson Gidding
Starring: Julie Harris, Claire Bloom
Released: 1963

This is hands down one of the most brilliantly directed horror films of all time. The minimal yet mind-blowing special effects for the time cleverly added to the horrifying atmosphere of the film in a combination of both very pronounced and very subtle ways. Additionally, for most of the movie, you're unsure of whether the house really is haunted or the fear stems from the belief of the people in it. This ironically is more terrifying than just flat-out saying that ghosts are real, as it makes Eleanor's slow descent into madness feel all the more unnerving.

With a film this brilliant and ahead of its time, you'd think that Hollywood would make a cheap cash-in remake that completely disgraces the craft and artistry of this masterpiece....but thankfully we live in a perfect world and that never happened. Some deluded people like to insist that there was in fact a late 90's remake, but this is absurd, and I have made sure that such people are never seen or heard from again....:humhumhum:

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

This is one of the ghost movies. Really, just the location and the way it's all filmed work so well. I really do love just how creepy things get with Eleanor going mad, from the beginning and till how the movie ends.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 13

Directed by: James Whale
Screenplay by: R.C. Sherriff
Starring: Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart
Released: 1933

Based on the iconic story by H.G. Wells, this film remains to be the most famous adaptation of that particular work. Even though I've seen the AAC crossover parody, I still shamefully haven't seen the original film in its entirety. What I have seen seems a bit more comical in nature than the other classic Unviersal Monster movies, though whether this tone was intentional or a product of its time, I can't say for sure.

talonmalon333

The comedic tone was intentional. You can see James Whale's touch of comedy in Bride of Frankenstein. It's just more emphasized here.

My favorite of the Universal horror films is Bride Frankenstein followed by Frankenstein, but if I were to pick a third favorite, this would likely be it. Claude Rains is fantastic as the lead, and the effects are unbelievable by the standards of 1933. And I love the comedic moments in this movie, more than in any of Whale's other movies.

Avaitor

I actually don't like this one at all. Or any of the sequels. Or the original novel.

Invisibility just isn't an interesting concept to me, and no version of the story has done anything to change my mind.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ouch! Granted, I haven't seen the Universal films, myself, nor have I read the original story, but Abbott & Costello, man....

Spark Of Spirit

It makes for good comedy at least.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 14

Directed by: Charles Lamont
Screenplay by: Robert Lees, Frederic I. Rinaldo, John Grant
Starring: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Nancy Guild, Adele Jergens
Released: 1951

This is pretty much the most exposure that I've ever had to The Invisible Man. But, hey, AAC always did have classic, timeless humor going for it with a great combination of wit and slapstick. While not my favorite feature for the duo, this is still pure fun and delight from start to finish.