One Punch Man

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 02, 2015, 09:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Glad to see you two are enjoying it so much!  ;D

Next week begins the arc that I've been eagerly waiting for since the show started; the Sea Monster arc. Words can't express my excitement to finally see the fight with the Sea King animated.  :shakeshakeshake:

gunswordfist

:D Now I can't wait either.

LumRanmaYasha

I have mixed feelings about the latest episode. I was disappointed by the animation and pacing. In the manga, the art really sells the threat and intensity of the fight of the Sea King, but the anime version feels a lot significant and doesn't exude that same sense of danger, though that improves by the second half when the Sea King starts fighting Sonic. The anime art still doesn't really sell the Sea King as dangerous, though, whereas in the manga he really looked and felt like a true monster, and I think that really hurts the action and tension in the anime version. I'm also really miffed that they didn't adapt the chapter that showed Sonic and Pri Pri Prisoner in prison before they break out. That chapter built up the latter really well, making it more shocking to see him defeated by the Sea King, whereas in the anime you don't have as much reason to be invested in him or care outside of some funny gags. I wish they would have paced this episode differently, adapting that chapter and ending it with either the defeat of Pri Pri Prisoner or the reveal of the Sea King's true form.

Still, I do think the atmosphere and action in the second half of the episode was handled much better than the first half, so I'm hoping the next episode will deliver on the material much better. I feel that the Sea King arc has been given less of a budget to work with so that more money can be put into subsequent arc, specifically Saitama's fight with Boros, which I understand since that'll be the climax of the anime. But since this is my favorite stretch and fight in the manga so far, I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't work nearly as effectively as it did in the manga. Still really fun and funny stuff, but I think it could've been really incredible if given a bit more polished execution and more of an animation budget, imo.

gunswordfist

Ugh, what a cock tease ending.

VLordGTZ

Yeah, I guess they decided to make Sea King two episodes so that they can adapt Boros in three episodes.  Like CX said, this week's episode was good, but it didn't reach the same levels of action or intensity of manga during the Sonic portion.

Avaitor

I'm on episode 3 right now, and it looks like Saitama is fighting a cross between Eva Unit 01 and The Maxx.

"Bargain day at the supermarket!"
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I'm about halfway through episode 8, and I've been completely happy with the show thus far.

Between this, Jojo, and Blood Battle Blockade, it seems like anime is starting to get weird again. And I support this movement 100%.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Still need to get around to BBB.

gunswordfist

A pretty heartwarming episode. :)

gunswordfist

I just finished the latest episode. I haven't been that engaged to anything in awhile. I'm loving how this arc has started. Nice to see Pri Pri learn soemthing from Sea King. Lastly wonder if Meruem's and Killua voice actors were in this episode.

VLordGTZ

Another great episode this week.  I can't wait to see one of my favorite manga fights be adapted in the next ep!   ;D

gunswordfist

I have finally just finished the last two episodes. A good ending to the series...well at least this part of it. I liked seeing other heroes get to do something besides get their asses kicked. My only complaint is Genos didn't get to do anything. Either way, it felt pretty epic, I had some good laughs and I can't wait until I rewatch this all again. When's those OVAs coming out again?

gunswordfist

I was right, Meruem's voice actor, Koki Uchiyama, did in fact voice Melzargard. That is good. I liked that alien more than Boros. Frieza's voice actor played by a character that looks like Piccolo and while very likely not intentional, Meruem's voice actor playing a character that's like Youpi, all in one show. :swoon:

Avaitor

You know, I forgot that I hadn't seen the last 2 episodes of the series yet, so I decided to rectify that tonight. This is still good stuff, and the show ended on a solid note. And Tatsumaki still cracks me up.

I also see that the OVAs have already started. The second is still RAW, but should hopefully be subbed soon. I'll watch the first later this week, since I have other stuff to do now. Maybe by the time I get to it, the second should be subbed.

New blog!