The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

"Under the Sky so Blue"
"Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru"
"The Doctor's Disease"

Spoiler

Trigun #26 is a great, intense finale that puts to rest the long conflict between Vash and Knives, and Vash's internal moral character arc of what he should do to stop him. In the end he makes a choice that allows him to stick to his morals while putting an end to Knives' plans, and decides to follow his heart from now on instead of just Rem's guidance.

AnJ #52 is a heartbreaking episode wherein Joe finally comes to grips with the fact he killed Rikiishi and breaks down, even running away from people who extend their hands out to help him.

YYH #73 is a well-directed episode that makes clever use of Kido's shadow powers and has a great time-sensitive set-up where Yusuke has to stop a man who can't feel pain or be knocked out before everyone in the hospital succumbs to his poison, leaving him with few options except to kill him. 
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ashita no Joe
Yu Yu Hakusho
Trigun

Believe me, I don't take any pleasure in ranking Trigun last. All three of these are top contenders for me. It's all Lum's fault, really. :thinkin:

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Ashita no Joe #52:"Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru" - 14
Yu Yu Hakusho #73: "The Doctor's Disease" - 10
Trigun #26: "Under the Sky so Blue" - 12

"Farewell, Rikiishi Tooru" moves on to round 4! The next match will be up shortly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

These are some tough rounds.

Same as Dr. Ensatsu-ken.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

"Wedding Bells for Kozue! Is Godai's Love Eternal?!"
"Sin"
"The Demon That Turns Back Time"

Spoiler

MI #92 is the satisfying culmination of Godai and Kyoko's turbulent romance, as Godai finally makes his feelings clear to Kyoko in a way she cannot misinterpret. He and Kozue are also able to break off on a happy note, both of them having found real, reciprocated love in their lives. The final scene, Godai reflecting on what Kyoko is like and what she means to him, is one of the most iconic quotes in the series, encapsulating the whirlwind of emotions love elicits and how just a single smile from the one you love can fill someone's heart with joy. Beautiful.

Trigun #23 is the tragic culmination of Wolfwood's character arc, as he tries to embrace Vash's way and spares Chapel, only for that decision to ultimately cost him his life. Wolfwood doesn't regret that choice, but the choices he's made previously in life that led him down this path, wishing he could've found alternative solutions outside of killing to solve his problems. Wolfwood was never afraid of death, but at the end he pleads to keep living, having found so much worth living for. But alas, it's not meant to be, but he dies at peace with who he his and how he was able to save his soul thanks to Vash and co.'s influence.

U&T #19 is a great lore-building episode that provides interesting insight into the Beast Spear's origin and introduces Hakumen no Mono in a frightening, horrifying manner that establishes how devious and deadly a monster he really is.
[close]