Hunter X Hunter (Original + Remake)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 18, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

once i think about it, i haven't seen hisoka fight since he fought gon at heaven's arena in 1999. he had no real fights in yorknew and i don't think the dodgeball game counts.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Farewell, Gotoh. In the manga, he has his head cut clean off, but in the anime they leave it in-tact, which oddly enough still seems more violent in this version if only because Togashi's crappy artwork makes the violence come off as more cartoony in the manga. But, yeah, in case you've forgotten by his incredibly hilarious yet perverse behavior, Hisoka is still a deadly cold-blooded killer.

Meanwhile, Killua managed to slip away from his Butlers thanks to Canary's help, and is on his way to Gon via airship, but Illumi won't make it easy for him with a mini-army of Needlemen coming his way. And he takes precautions to send Hisoka to deal with the Anti-Chairman Association to prevent them from meddling in his affairs. A seemingly simple arc has already gotten this intense. That's Hunter X Hunter for you. :sweat:

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I read that earlier today, and honestly, is anybody the least bit surprised? If Togashi had gotten off his ass a year or 2 ago and actually did his job, we'd probably be done with the DC arc by now, but instead it's barely even started yet, so the anime will have to end for now. If he can somehow finish the arc before taking another hiatus, we could see an adaptation of that as well, but you all know that it's only inevitable that he takes his next break whenever the fuck he wants, which will be well before the end of this arc.

Still, seeing the CA and CE arcs animated was still really nice. I still prefer the 1999 version of the anime, though, including the first OVA series (the Greed Island one sucked, though).

LumRanmaYasha

It was obvious that the anime was ending after the Chairman Election arc. But I was wondering what episode number they'd leave off on and when exactly it would end, and so I'm satisfied to finally know that. Makes sense, since the series will end just before the fall season. Now I'm sure the upcoming Parasyte anime will be taking it's timeslot.

Lord Dalek

Eh not unexpected. At least the Chariman Election arc does leave a certain degree of finality to it (even though we all know HxH will be back in a couple years).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on August 17, 2014, 10:05:04 AM
Eh not unexpected. At least the Chariman Election arc does leave a certain degree of finality to it (even though we all know HxH will be back in a couple years).

Or Desensitized's theory of having another reboot in 10 hears will come true. Quite frankly, at Togashi's pace, that's more likely. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, Killua had a powerful emotional moment, Illumi utilizes an army of "zombie-like" Needle Men, and Hisoka assassinates an entire committee within the Hunter Association. All in all it's pretty standard-fair stuff for this series by this point. :sweat:

I really so love that Killua finally got to stick it to his brother and one-up him in the end. If you remember way back to the Hunter Exams arc, his brother had so much influence over him and forced him to return home. Later in the Chimera Ant arc, he realized that Illumi had planted a needle in him from way back, continuing to influence his thoughts, and indirectly his actions. Now, for once, he finally manages to defy Illumi as he stands right in front of him, and the reaction on Illumi's face when he realizes that he doesn't have Alluka completely figured out after all is priceless.

Also, watching a relatively good episode like this makes me kind of sad that we only have 5 episodes of the show yet, but I'll be sure to enjoy each of them as much as possible.

LumRanmaYasha

I love how they didn't transition to the ending theme in this episode. Just letting what Hisoka did to Terradein sink in while announcing the latest Election results. Though, I suppose it would have been funny if they did play the "do do do" over that scene as well.  :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This week the election reaches its final stages. We'll see who wins soon enough.

It's kind of hard to believe that there are only 4 more episodes left, but it's true. Those last 4 episodes will be a pretty big deal or any fans, though. Something pretty major is bound to happen, after all.

gunswordfist

I finished episode 142.
Spoiler
Poor Gotoh
[close]
Starting episode 143 now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, yeah, Gon is healed (albeit he still has no access to his Nen), and as if that wasn't good enough, he's finally going to meet his father, the thing that was his very goal from the first episode of the series. It really makes you realize how many long-running shounen series never really have the main character meet their goals like that, but it's sure to be an emotional moment for Gon.

Also, there are only 3 episodes left, now.

gunswordfist

I..did not think I'd be that happy to see Gon come back. Maybe it was also the fact that I didn't think he'd be healed that fast once they got Alluka in the building, plus even after Morel showed up and didn't think he'd actually appear in this episode. And Leorio's reaction made me like him that much more.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I meant to post about the last episode, but suffice it to say that it was excellently handled, with so many stand-out scenes. Such high emotional points are not often pulled off so well in shounen anime.

As for this episode, I adored that ending montage between Gon and Killua as they officially part ways. It really is very bittersweet. I mean, they've been best friends throughout the entire series since the Hunter Exams arc. It really just reminds you of how much they've been through together. Still, I prefer the ending montage from the first anime series for covering the exploits of the entire group, including Kurapika and Leorio as well, but since they weren't a factor in the Chimera Ant arc, I can see why they just stuck to Gon and Killua in this anime. Man, even though the story isn't done, and even though I've had my issues with this anime, I'm still going to miss it when it ends next week. I'll need to find something new to keep up with in its place.

LumRanmaYasha