Hunter X Hunter (Original + Remake)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 18, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 21, 2011, 06:15:38 AM
So I guess this will be the Chimera Ant arc?...... That he's been sitting on for years now? That isn't even over yet? I don't know what else it could be since the manga goes straight from Greed Island into the Chimera Ant arc.

By the way, speaking of Greed Island, what the hell was with all the dodgeball chapters in the manga? That was where I remember ceasing reading. The arc was boring me before then, but that was just unbearable.
Funny how that's the absolute best part in the anime. :D (reading through these threads is fun. :))
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the Dodgeball game was actually the highlight of the arc for me. It showed both an element of fun and creativity, which most of the rest of the arc was sorely lacking, IMO. Well, it was kind of creative with the card game system, but it got too bogged down in exposition to be any fun. The dodgeball game through that out the window for a while and was just it's own fun little thing. It's also probably the closest that Togashi will ever come to writing a sports manga, at that.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember it being well done, I just don't remember understanding why exactly it was occurring.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 24, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
Yeah, the Dodgeball game was actually the highlight of the arc for me. It showed both an element of fun and creativity, which most of the rest of the arc was sorely lacking, IMO. Well, it was kind of creative with the card game system, but it got too bogged down in exposition to be any fun. The dodgeball game through that out the window for a while and was just it's own fun little thing. It's also probably the closest that Togashi will ever come to writing a sports manga, at that.
So, what's your top 5?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I'd watch a dodgeball anime from him.

It's sad that Greed Island had a ton of potential and threw it away. It is an adventure arc, which I love more than any other kind but they did that wrong, the training sucked, the background sucked, all the new villains sucked. The bombers had a dimension tacked on to them during literally their last scene when they showed that they actually cared about each other. And way before that, everyone and their grandma saw that they were going to betray that group of card collectors and kill them. It's like Togashi thought that if he could make them do a few smart things and have them seem cool (well at least the main bomber, the other two weren't even cool looking) then that'd be enough...sounds like a mediocre, modern mangaka. Ugh.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 24, 2014, 09:14:01 PMIt's sad that Greed Island had a ton of potential and threw it away. It is an adventure arc, which I love more than any other kind but they did that wrong, the training sucked, the background sucked, all the new villains sucked. The bombers had a dimension tacked on to them during literally their last scene when they showed that they actually cared about each other. And way before that, everyone and their grandma saw that they were going to betray that group of card collectors and kill them. It's like Togashi thought that if he could make them do a few smart things and have them seem cool (well at least the main bomber, the other two weren't even cool looking) then that'd be enough...sounds like a mediocre, modern mangaka. Ugh.
Yeah, when Togashi wrote that they cared about each other I thought that was more than a bit forced. We actively watched these guys torture and murder people and we're supposed to feel sorry for them because they were stopped from doing more of it and were pals while doing so?

He might as well have just kept them as flat as they already were. It really added nothing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

1. Killua
2. Knuckle
3. Leorio
4. Morel
5. Meruem

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 01, 2011, 06:19:34 PM
And I'm worried

Starting from the beginning. No Furuhara. Current day Madhouse. Which means they'll probably overemphasize the gore and action over the story.

Not anticipating this at all.
Funny how they toned down the gore. Don't mind me, I'm still reading through here. :D

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2014, 09:20:17 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 24, 2014, 09:14:01 PMIt's sad that Greed Island had a ton of potential and threw it away. It is an adventure arc, which I love more than any other kind but they did that wrong, the training sucked, the background sucked, all the new villains sucked. The bombers had a dimension tacked on to them during literally their last scene when they showed that they actually cared about each other. And way before that, everyone and their grandma saw that they were going to betray that group of card collectors and kill them. It's like Togashi thought that if he could make them do a few smart things and have them seem cool (well at least the main bomber, the other two weren't even cool looking) then that'd be enough...sounds like a mediocre, modern mangaka. Ugh.
Yeah, when Togashi wrote that they cared about each other I thought that was more than a bit forced. We actively watched these guys torture and murder people and we're supposed to feel sorry for them because they were stopped from doing more of it and were pals while doing so?

He might as well have just kept them as flat as they already were. It really added nothing.
Yeah, it didn't. Togashi is good a writing 3 dimensional villain..that wasn't them. Hell, Karasu was pretty simple but I had no complaints about him. He knew how to be wicked. But then again, he didn't have to be complicated since he wasn't the main villain.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 24, 2014, 09:31:19 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 01, 2011, 06:19:34 PM
And I'm worried

Starting from the beginning. No Furuhara. Current day Madhouse. Which means they'll probably overemphasize the gore and action over the story.

Not anticipating this at all.
Funny hoe they toned down the gore. Don't mind me, I'm still reading through here. :D
Glad to be wrong. The last thing the Chimera Ant arc needed was more gore.

gunswordfist

Hmm, I wonder how many familiar faces will return in upcoming episodes (Don't spoil it for me! >:() I can't wait. Not seeing about 6 characters that have been gone will probably make me appreciate them more when they bring them back.Edit: Did I already make a post where I compared 2011's arcs with 1999's months ago. I forgot/can't find the post.

LumRanmaYasha

Favorite characters:

5. Knuckle
4. Ikalgo
3. Leorio
2. Meruem
1. Killua

Spark Of Spirit

Good choices.

I particularly enjoyed the twist where Ikalgo could have been just another generic enemy dispatched in Togashi fashion if it wasn't for Killua deciding to change his mind. That was one of the arc's highlights to me.

gunswordfist

Yeah, that really surprised me. It's funny how Killua found a much better Chimera Ant friend than Gon's. :sly: Heck, Meleoron shined the most when he was paired with Knuckle anyway.

VLordGTZ

Favorite Characters:

1. Killua
2. Meruem
3. Kurapika
4. Leorio
5. Knuckle

gunswordfist

More random thoughts:
Anyone else thought Meruem was supposed to have some similarities to Raizen? Youpi's powers remind me of Elder Toguro's. I love Shoot's powers so much. I honestly think they may be my favorite set of powers in the entire show. I like how Togashi took a non-combatant in Gatekeeper from Chapter Black (forget his real name) and gave them to a Hunter. Also, the main reason why I like Shoot so much is his flashback that was short and sweet and made me feel for the guy. In fact, it wasn't even a flashback, they just went over how he has been scared during his whole life and how his friends have been urging him to come out of it. Then he has his coming out party against Youpi of all people. I thought that was beautiful. I thought Knuckle was alright but Shoot is my favorite hero from Chimera Ants.

I hope Hisoka's past isn't like Werefin's and Meruem when they were human. Quite a few characters in this show have been abused as kids. I was going to group in Razer and Binolt (scissor dude from Greed Island. I only remember his name because his music on youtube rocks) but I seriously doubt he wasn't at least an outcast as a kid. I forget if those two were also physically abused. Anyway, my only reason for wanting it to not be like that is I want his to be different.

Edit:
I didn't really care for Pitou going from psycho torturer to caring protector of an innocent. The how, I mean. She literally went from never blinking to crying when she saw Meruem hold Komugi. Then her features started softening up out of nowhere. I do like how she changed based off of interactions with Gon, it's just I thought her initial jump between being two different characters had no good setup. She's also my least favorite Ant out of the Royal Guards and The King and the only one I'm not a fan of. I wouldn't be surprised if she was at least the favorite Royal Guard for most fans. She got the most screen time and fans tend to like psycho characters like that, I think.

Spark Of Spirit

Pitou was my least favorite Ant, so there's that, I guess. Youpi was by far the best of the lackeys.