What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Latter for consistency when I eventually get to Chimera Ant.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I would assume 2011 since that's the only one that's legally streaming anywhere, and the '99 series DVDs from Viz Media are long out of print and fairly expensive to buy online.

Dr. Insomniac

Yes, about 90 episodes or so until I can get as mad at the hiatuses as everyone else.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, in retrospect it's a mercy that he ended YYH back when he did. I'll take a rushed ending over waiting a year or two for just nine new chapters of content, any day.

BTW, If your opinions are even just somewhat similar to myself and Desensitized, you're probably going to hate the beginning if the Chimera Ant arc, so there's fair warning. If you stick with it, though, it does get a lot better, IMO, and it's one of those stories that actually fares better for me on repeat readings.

I do have a major gripe about how the anime leaves in all of the excess narration, though, so I personally prefer the manga version of that arc. At least reading it kind of fits with a comic book structure.

Spark Of Spirit

Chimera Ant has a really rough start, but once it gets to Knuckle it begins to redeem itself. That has to say something about Togashi's talent because I can't think of any other manga that have arcs start that badly before morphing into something far better.

I also haven't read a chapter since he finished it. Will not touch it until it's done now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I like Biscuit. She reminds me of Genkai and Lisa Lisa.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Biscuit is like a really fun version of Genkai/Lisa Lisa to me. Grumpy as hell when she's in a bad mood, but she has her cheerful moments as well, but pretty much always puts Gon and Killua through sadistic training.

As for supporting characters, though, Knuckle will always be my personal favorite. In fact, his appearance in Chimera Ant pretty much marks the point where it gets really good, for me. You just can't have a good Togashi series without a resident Kuwabara-analogue (think Kuwabara's personality, but also surprisingly clever and intelligent).

gunswordfist

Hmmmm, she is like Risa Risa..Hell, like her and Genkai in more way than one/stops stating the obvious.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Now I'm up to episode 104 of Fist Of The Nortstar.

LumRanmaYasha

Nice, looks like you've only got about 5 episodes left until you're done with part 1. I've been meaning to start the anime sometime. I really enjoyed the manga, and especially love the first half of the series, and people have told me the show is worth watching for the music and voice acting alone. And from what I've been able to sample of it, they seem to be right about that.

gunswordfist

I'm just going to assume you're talking to Insomniac.  :'( Watched episode 104 today... :'( :cry:

LumRanmaYasha

Nope. I was talking to you. And you're in for a world of feels, my friend. :D

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

This afternoon, I decided and preceded to watching episode 19 of Ushio & Tora and to finish off the rest of the canonical episodes of Fist Of The Northstar.

U&T COMPLETELY surpassed my expectations yet again. Just how good will this show be once it's complete? Saying I'm impressed is just an understatement now. I'll save the rest of what I have to say for the series' topic.

I just wrapped up the manga adaptation of Fist Of The Northstar. I just check and episode 109 is filler so I'll watch that once I decide to watch the rest of the filler. As for episode 105-108...well, 105 is flashbacks/clip show from this, the final season, so I just skipped to the parts showing my two favorite characters and then went to 106. A lot of emotions went through me during these episodes, even though a lot of it was kind of ridiculous, imo. Also, thanks the internet, a major part was spoiled for me, but I didn't expect something else at all based on a clip of the movie I've seen. Anyway, overall I'm kind of sad that this run of the show is over for me but the conclusion was decent. I've started Fist Of The Northstar since I was in freaking high school, once I think about it. I'll always love the show. I might read the manga one day, which has phenomenal art.

gunswordfist

I finished watching the latest episode of Ushio & Tora and all of the current 7 episodes of One Punch Man. What a great day for anime!/Dexter voice.