What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I bought and watched DBZ Battle of the Gods tonight and finished it about 30 minutes. I am so glad I somehow managed to avoid hearing a lot about this film. Possibly the most fun I had with the franchise since I was a teenager. I didn't know here was so much comedy and screen time for the secondary cast. I loved how they avoided Goku just smashing Beerus at the end. Sounds like they used what Beerus said at the end to set up Super (don't tell me). I will buy and likely watch Resurrection of F tonight, which I already know has lots of comedy and isn't just a Goku comedy fest.
Also, I have no clue why Buu's alive..I barely saw tge end of his arc. I am surprised this is before Pan's birth. I assumed it was after the manga.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Baki is getting a new TV anime!
It sounds like it will be continuing from where the previous anime left off by adapting the second series New Baki the Grappler.  I liked what I watched/read of Baki back in the day, so I'll definetly be looking forward to this.  :)

gunswordfist

Oh whoa, I didn't know this was right after the last Baki anime!

Started Resurrection of F about 15 minutes after midnight and just finished. Definitely the best group fighting since DBZ ended and my favorite one on one fight since Fusion Reborn. I am so happen to see Tien, Krillin and Piccolo get more screentime. I wish Vegeta was the one to kill Frieza though. Goku really is a glory hog lol Now I can start Super and continue to enjoy some more guilt-free-paid-for anime.

Spark Of Spirit

Blood Blockade Battlefront season 2 announced!

Hyped for this! Season 1 was one of the best series in years. New writer and director might be disappointing, but as long as they at least adapt the original material well enough, we should get another great season out of it.

Now for Dark Horse to get on releasing more of the manga, and Toonami to air season 1.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Spark Of Spirit

That was an exciting end for Haikyu's third season. Really exciting game, and IG did a terrific job with it. It'll be a lot easier waiting for the next season after seeing that ending.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

It turns out the reason Funimation has been so silent about the Mob Psycho 100 dub is because it was being dubbed over at Bang Zoom.

It will be released on FunimationNow on December 11th at 9:30 ET.

Here's the noted cast list:
Shigeo:  Kyle McCarley
Reigen: Chris Niosi
Ritsu:  Max Mittelman
Ekubo:  Michael Sorich
Hanazawa:  Erik Kimerer

I guess my speculation about it being a Toonami pick-up was wrong.  In any case, I'll be interested in seeing how the dub turns out.

VLordGTZ

There were a number of upcoming anime announcements that came out of Jump Festa:

First off, MHA Season 2 is coming out in April.
Still no announcement of a split-cour season, but I have my fingers crossed.

To the surprise of no one, Boruto is getting a TV anime also slated for April.
I half-expecting Pierrot to pull a DBS and re-adapt the Boruto film.

Food Wars is getting an OVA that seems to cover the first few chapters of the Moon Festival arc.
My guess it that JC Staff is planning a Season 3 of the anime and this will serve as a preview episode.

Lastly, Black Clover is getting a TV anime is 2017..........by Studio Pierrot.  :burn: :anger: :cry:

Part of me was expecting this to happen, but I wanted to be wrong especially since Xebec was producing the OVA for it for this year's Jump Festa.  Any hope I had of Black Clover getting a good adaption is officially dead.  It's a real shame.

gunswordfist

lol Studio Pierrot? I was actually kidding on Twitter. I had no clue.

Spark Of Spirit

BBB and MHA season 2 is enough for me.

Shame about Black Clover though. It's obviously going to be taking the spot of Twin Star Exorcists. The only question is which way will they screw it up this time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's really sad when you consider that at one point in time Studio Pierrot was behind the excellent Yu Yu Hakusho anime adaptation, in addition to other good anime that they've produced in the past. They've really fallen far, even more so than Toei, IMO, and that's REALLY saying something.

VLordGTZ

I'd say Pierrot and Toei are about equal in quality presently.  Generally, they're shows are not well produced but they can shoot out something good once in a blue moon (Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3 in Toei's case and Mr. Osomatsu for Pierrot).  The fact though that Pierrot thought it was a good idea to produce a 50 episode anime for Twin Star Exorcists and make it 75% filler is downright idiotic.  I only hope that Pierrot doesn't try to make a continuous long-runner out of Black Clover.

Black Clover aside, 2017 is going to be a great year for anime.  Base off what we have right now there's:

Atom: The Beginning
Blood Blockade & Beyond
Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc
Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel trilogy
Full Metal Panic! IV
Fuuka
FLCL Season 2
Gintama.
Legend of Galactic Heroes remake
(unless I.G. pushes it back)
Little Witch Academia
My Hero Academia Season 2
New Baki The Grappler
One Punch Man Season 2
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Rin-ne Season 3
Seven Deadly Sins Season 2
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Season 2
Space Battleship Yamato 2202

That's a damn impressive set of series, if you ask me.

Spark Of Spirit

Thing is, I wouldn't mind things like filler. I actually think BC would benefit from it since the manga rushes from action scene to action scene too much. Slower build up and more room for things to breathe would only help the series.

The problem is that I doubt Pierrot would add meaningful filler to bolster weaker aspects of the original series. Heck, they might even Tokyo Ghoul it up. And that's the issue. There's really no way to know what they'll do.

VLordGTZ

I doubt Pierrot is going to Tokyo Ghoul-it considering how that screwed them on making the series into a continuous money-maker, but it's still a possibility.  For all we know Pierrot could make this a competent adaption like they did for Yona of the Dawn or milk the series to death like they've continued to do with Naruto.  We'll have to wait and see, but I'm going to keep my expectations as low as possible.

VLordGTZ

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K has been green-lit for a second season!

I've been keeping up with Funimation's dub and it's been really great.  The manga may never get licensed in the US, but I'm glad that I'll at least be able to experience more of the series through the anime.