What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow, episode 23 of AnJ is some intense shit....

VLordGTZ

I spent my day marathoning through all of Tiger & Bunny.  I'm kind of disappointed that the stuff with Lunatic and the Ouroboros is left unresolved, but it was still a great show overall.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I too was disappointed that stuff was unresolved. I think the movies address those issues, though. I still need to see the first one, but I totally plan to see the second one in a theatre on March 15th. Should be fun.  :)

LumRanmaYasha

I just watched the first three episodes of Ashita no Joe 2. I decided not to watch the first anime first for a few reasons. 1) I don't have that much time, and just to get through Joe 2 I'll have to drop almost all the other stuff I'm watching for a while. 2) The first anime and the second aren't related, having different directors and the final 20+ episodes of the first adapting the early parts of part 2 differently. 3) The fan-subbers aren't even finished translating all of the first anime, having 8 episode left to go. 4) I still want to get through Mushi-shi and Psycho-Pass before April, and watching both series will take time away from that. At some point I will watch the first anime, especially since I love this story and won't tire experiencing it again, but right now there are too many other things eating up my time and other shows on my queue, and I want to finish the story of Ashita no Joe more than anything, so I'm jumping right into Joe 2.

Anyways, I think the anime is a quite a well-handled adaption so far. For the most part, though, I think I prefer how the events played out in the manga than how they are in the anime. I will say that the anime added two great scenes though; Joe visiting the graveyard in episode 2 and his and Yoko's meeting in episode 3, where he challenges the latter to find him a new source of inspiration. I loved those moments. Otherwise I'm a bit surprised at the rearranging of some stuff and some things being taken out, but it doesn't really hurt the story. In any case, I've only watched the first three episodes, and I don't think the Carlos Rivera arc ends in the anime until episode 12, so I've got a while before I get to the stuff I haven't been able to read in the manga yet. It'll be interesting to see how the anime handles Joe's string of defeats before he meets Carlos.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm on episode 26 of Joe 2 right now, and all I can really say is that it has not yet failed to impress me. I'm not sure how faithful the anime is to the rest of the manga, but suffice it to say that it's well-written enough to a level of quality that I could buy being straight out of the manga.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 5 of HXH. Still loving the more in-depth Hunter Exam arc. :) The next episode should be the start of my favorite part of the Exam (the start being when they meet up with the other applicants.)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I watched episode 6 of HXH last night and finished episode 7 within this hour. I can see why they took out that Illusion Tree part in the remake. It was good to see a more in-depth look on Leorio and his goals though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That was filler material, but IMO it was good filler since it expanded on a core character's backstory in a meaningful way.

gunswordfist

Hmm, I thought it might have been filler....so that means that Killua does have bombs in his pockets? :'(

gunswordfist

Just finished episode 8 of HXH. I definitely prefer how they handled the part where Hisoka attacks all those guys in the remake than this version. In the remake he seems to only attack people if 1. They are deemed strong enough 2. They attack him. 3. He goes all bloodlust. The swamp battle fell under all of that in 2011 while in 1999, he didn't get attacked first and then just start attack whoever else showed up, he just started throw cards at nobodies for fun. Also watching Hisoka's display of speed in 2011 was incredible. Interesting that Pikkou was there in that part and not 2011, iirc. Of course Killua went back for Gon in 2011, iirc, because they seems more modern day friendly but I can see that Killua hasn't become that attached to Gon yet in 1999.

Also, they did a much better job with how the man monkey looks in 2011 (he didn't even look like the proctor in 1999). I've also been meaning to ask, what the hell did Hisoka do to the guy in the tunnel? He made he melt into the wall?? Plus, I still think when they guy bumped into him and made his arms turn into flower petals or whatever, it was his most incredible feat yet.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought the flower petal scene was stupid, personally (and it didn't even happen that way in the manga). And Hisoka is a psychotic. He will kill people even without being provoked by them. The 2011 anie was just initially trying to play it safe with stuff like this until they were sure that they could get away with the more risqu? stuff from the manga. His behavior at the beginning of the 2011 anime isn't consistent with who he is portrayed as later on.

gunswordfist

It is kind of stupid but having someone's arms transform into flower petals just from touching you is a pretty incredible in and of itself.

He is pretty crazy but I like that there's more of a reason to it (if that even makes sense) in the 2011 anime.

gunswordfist

I finished episode 9 of Hunter X Hunter tonight. Not much happened but it was the funniest episode so far.

gunswordfist

And I watched episode 10 of HXH. It was interesting seeing 1999 Netero. I'm still getting used to all the different looks and hair colors characters have.

gunswordfist

Episode 11 and 12...can't say I cared for Anita at all. Yeah, that part was dragged out and cliched. I sensed I wouldn't like it when I first saw her stow away on the airship.